Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best max damage + life Smiter setup?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Bulgarian, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Bulgarian

Bulgarian Banned

Best max damage + life Smiter setup?

I was thinking something like this:

Grief phase blade
    Eth vortex exile
    verdungo
    dracs/crafted gloves
    gores
    coa ber ber
    fortitude
    maras
    2 raven frosts

What do you think about this setup?

2. andrewexd

andrewexd IncGamers Member

i think upd hoz would do more dmg and i dont think fort adds dmg so i would say coh and maybe hilords than maras

and did u have to post this thread 3 times? i dont think anyone hear is blind

3. Bulgarian

Bulgarian Banned

First off, i lagged, and triple posting this was an accident.

Second off, i dont know where your getting your facts from.
    Vortex: 5-87
    Zakarum: 46-46

Fort does add damage, and DS doesnt work on smite.

4. hardnfast

hardnfast IncGamers Member

both have the same average damage as do all the elite paladin shields (sacred targe has 46.5)

However HoZ has +2 paly skills +2 combat skills, 50% resists, better chance to block and + stats.

5. Bulgarian

Bulgarian Banned

what about the jewelry, is there anything better?

6. hardnfast

It depends if its for PvP or PvM.

I would swap one ravenfrost for a bk. For PvP I would swap to a griefz for the extra range, in this case if your using dracs you will be short some ias to hit a 6fpa smite so you might want to swap mara's for highlords. If your crafted gloves have 20% ias use them with maras.

7. Bulgarian

Bulgarian Banned

If i swap out a raven my blocking goes down the toilet, i think this is the least versatile build i have ever seen.

8. hardnfast

?? which build?

When you swap out the crappy exile for upped hoz you dont need the dex from ravenfrost, I thought that was obvious. However you seem to think you know how to build a smiter so I'll leave you to it. Good luck.

9. Bulgarian

Bulgarian Banned

Lol?

Im only speaking the facts, when i switch out a raven, my block goes from 75 to 63. I want this paladin to have the least possible points in strength and dex, so that i can invest more into life.

I dont seem to think i know anything, which is why im asking for help.

10. hardnfast

Yep, I bet it does. Thats a reason why exile in a vortex shield isn't a very good choice. Perhaps try an upped hoz as it has good block, resists, + skills and stats. Then you can swap out one of the ravefrosts for another ring eg: BK or maybe a wisp when your dueling a high lightning damage character.

Well in that case I would suggest a remake with base strength using MP enigma, anni, torch and dracs. This should provide enough strength to equip your gear.
    as I previously said an upped HoZ will not require to many points into dexterity to achieve max block. I think there is even a block calculator on this site.

and yet

In your build you need two ravefrosts to maintain max block, versatile?

The gear I would choose for a PvP smiter

Shako ber'd
    Enigma MP
    Verdungos
    Upped HoZ ber'd
    Highlords (Mara's if I was using gloves with 20%ias)
    Ravenfrost / (bk/wisp/dwarf)
    Greifz
    Bloodfists/dracs/crafted gloves
    Waterwalks

11. NewForumBloke

NewForumBloke IncGamers Member

1) Drop the phase, grab a Greifz your going to need the range 3.

2) Fort/Enigma are the better choices for armors for a smiter. Enigma if you want the vita/ tele smite route and Fort for the higher dmg/def route

3) Exile Zaks, though will deliver less dmg than a Up'd HoZ, will deal better dmg, block better, and imo look better than any pub vortex exile. The only reason vortex's are used are for the def that they can get. Exiles really are only used for the extra Life tap ctc and the extra def boost one recieves from them. If your going pure dmg though, your best bet will be a up'd HoZ.

4) Ditch at least one of those ravens. You should have at least one BK or at the very least a SoJ in its place. In fact if you would cham your up'd HoZ you could ditch both of the ravens and use 2 BKs (or again as many BK's as u can get) With the PCombats and all the +skills you'll be getting your holy sheild lvl should be well over lvl 40 and with HoZ's uber block your dex investment will be minimal.

5) I also would ditch the Gores for some Eth Treks/ high life water walks/ Shadow Dancers (if you really are that concerned with your dex) as the mods from gores really arent going to do much of anything for you.

Lastly I will say this, this question has been asked many times before, and by using the search function or looking back a few threads usually results in a discovery of info that you were in search of. So, imho these are the usual better smiter set ups:

CoA (Ber Ber)
    Maras
    Enigma/Fort
    Up'd HoZ (cham'd)/ Exile Zak (with high def and res)
    Dracs/Bloodfists/Sometimes rares/crafted blood gloves give good results
    2x BKs/ BK/ravenfrost (if you decide to go with exile)
    Dungo
    Treks/Dancers/Waterswalks/Godleh Tri Res 30 frw/10 fhr boots
    Greif Zerker Axe (for range 3)

Switch:
    Cta (preferably one of those sexy +1-3 HS scepters_
    Pala spirit

Charms:
    Pala Torch
    Anni
    9x Pcombat Lifers (MAYBE one with fhr...)
    Rest Lifer/Res sc's

Stash:
    The usual sorbing items, wisp, etc, etc...

That is what most, if not all good smiters use. Vortex's smite dmg is all over the map and imo is not worth it. NVR use greif pb as the dex req is rediculous for a smiter's caliber (not to mention the range is pathetic). As always have one piece of CBF wheter its from a ravenfrost or a cham in an item.

Good luck. Fare well.

-BLoke :smug:

12. atenza

atenza Banned

If you're going for max damage in a smite vs. smite setup.. wouldn't a 460ED Phoenix work well here? Massive damage increase.. same block as smite.. you lose def (not needed in smitevs.smite) and you lose lifetap. However.. you do gain firestorm which as far as I know, will stun a player in pvp if you hit them with smite. This is very useful as it allows free hits and you'll be doing more damage this way then with HoZ...

13. Tankmobile

Tankmobile IncGamers Member

gotta say i disagree with you there with that equipment list. You say witch out Gores, but from your setup you have no CB and if this smiter is going to take on any bosses/ubers (which they were made to do) it will need CB from the gores, given the other equipment has none. If you want massive defense go with forti and the exile, in my opinion (and experience) it works nicely, especially with a barbs shout, over 50k defence. Use a grief PB if you want higher IAS than a zerker, and the IAS will be far more useful than damage for uber running.

14. Bulgarian

Bulgarian Banned

When i switch out CoH for Fortitude my damage drops o_O?

Im guessing the damage gets biggers but its bugged?

15. WolvenWolf

WolvenWolf Banned

Fort dusk
    Phoenix in a high ed base sacred rondache (highest avg smite dmg)
    08 gaze with ber

16. NewForumBloke

atenza: he said pvp, and the cb from gores is minimal in pvp. The rest of the mods from gores ethier will not apply or simply go wasted. Also by spending a bit to get a high ias zerker, rather than wasting your time on a pb, he's gaining range 3 attack here. IMHO, range 3 wep that still hits the needed bp, will always beat out a range 1 wep that does as well.

OG Al: As for your smite dmg there og, i forget how smite dmg is calc'd but it could very well be bugged like the greif dmg mod to smite its. How's your smiter going now btw?

-BLoke :smug:

17. Bulgarian

Bulgarian Banned

Yeah i switched the phase to a zerker, currently im testing out the different builds on single player.

18. NewForumBloke

Want to make a quick apology b/c ive stated some wrong info... and i honestly feel terrible about it. A Phase is range 2. Im sorry. :cry: Its kinda embarrassing how long ive thought it was range 1.

-BLoke :upset:

19. atenza

atenza Banned

Just to put the icing on the cake you addressed the gores information to me... when I said nothing about it o_O. I was merely mentioning phoenix in my post.

Btw if you wield two phoenixs + hellfire torch u get a grand total of 85% chance to cast something while you smite.. if the firestorm can stun long enuf you might be able to pull of a smiter that can keep u under constant lock... It all really depends on how long the firestorm lasts because firestorm has a casting delay.. but at least u could put the phoenix in a phaseblade or something...

20. Athelstan

Athelstan IncGamers Member

Yeah, but even with that mistake, the extra range really helps against gg smiters and ww barbs, so your original premise is still sound.