Best Gaming Computer Under 1000$

rrr

Diabloii.Net Member
Best Gaming Computer Under 1000$

I have a 1000$ budget to spend on a new computer that is good for gaming, and school. If anybody has any suggestions, please post them.

Johnny

Banned
Re: Best Gaming Computer Under 1000$

Save money til you have enough to spend on a real computer.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member

Save money til you have enough to spend on a real computer.
You must have accidentally put [asshole][/asshole] tags on your post, because you came out sounding like an asshole.

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

That's kinda hard to say without knowing exactly what you want. If all you want is Diablo, basic office programs and internet, then you can get away under 500. You should be more specific.

I haven't built a computer in a while, but if you are more specific, I can do a little research for you and point you in the right derection. To start: you're going to use pricewatch.com a lot.

Above all: do not buy a prebuilt comp from a store.

EDIT: the only problem with buying computer components online is that it's a Serious pain to return them. So, buy your monitor and hard disks from a store, and make sure that you buy other components from reputable distributors. For example, (at least when I built my last comp) nVidia does not put together their own vid cards. They build the chipsets and sell them to card manufacturers. I only buy from reputable card manufacturers. For ATI, I'm not sure; I haven't built a comp since AMD bought ATI, so I don't know how they operate now. When you get memory, Corsair is a very good company, but I often bought "Value Select." The name says it all.

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

I think I see what you are saying, but then you've worded it in the most obnoxious way possible. (your second post esp.)

EDIT: I can just imagine the OP's reaction to this thread.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

You can get a decent system for $1000, you won't be able to play the very newest games at the highest graphics settings or anything but you'll get by.

You must have accidentally put [asshole][/asshole] tags on your post, because you came out sounding like an asshole.
They were beside the post in yellow.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member

I spent about $750 last October and Crysis is the only game I'm aware of that I don't quite meet the recommended specs for.

BobCox2

Diabloii.Net Member

If you have a current computer that has parts you can migrate (Hard Drives - monitor etc) you can save some money at least.
In Texas You can hit a Fry's Electronics.
http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/
Here are some starter Ideas well in that budget. First Price is regular. second is current Sale Price

HP Pavilion A6419FH Desktop PC / Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor E2180 $849.98 $699.98
w/ HP W2207H 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor, 3GB DDR2, 360GB HD, SuperMulti-DVD Burner w/ LS
Ad for SJ, DFW, HOU, Chicago, Renton

HP Pavilion A6419FH Desktop PC / Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor E2180 $729.98 $599.98
w/ HP W1907 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor, 3GB DDR2, 360GB HD, SuperMulti DVD Burner
Ad for LA

Compaq Presario SR5410F Desktop PC / Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor E2160 $379.99 $299.99
1GB DDR2, 320GB SATA HD, SuperMulti DVD Burner w/ LS/CD-RW

HP Pavilion M8400F Desktop PC / AMD Phenom X4 9500 Quad Core Processor $1939.98 $899.98
w/ HP 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor, 3GB DDR2, 720GB HD, SuperMulti DVD Burner w/ LS/CD-RW

HP Pavilion A6430F Desktop PC / AMD Phenom X3 8400 Triple Core Processor $679.99 $549.99
3GB DDR2, 640GB HD, SuperMulti DVD Burner, Vista Premium w/ SP1
Ad for SJ, LA, DFW, HOU, Chicago, Phoenix, Austin

rrr

Diabloii.Net Member

BobCox2, Thank you so much for this help, i really appreciate it. Me and my parents are talking about getting one this weekend. :thumbup:

Yes I'm sure the drama is quite excruciating for you.
what a douche.

i wouldnt spend more than $1000 on a computer. in fact, if you wait for black friday sales, you can get a great computer for under $500.

not everyone has a whole pile of money laying around to blow on the hottest hardware, especially when the developers keep pushing the envelope year after year, continually making their games just-out-of-reach of the average gamer.

but of course, i expect every word to fall on deaf ears, because its just so much fun to flash around how much more money they have than other people.

Johnny

Banned

Fine I'l be frank.

For $1000 you can get the best gaming computer of 2005 perhaps. The advice is quite valid. It's better to save up some more and buy a decent computer some time in the future than buy one now that was obsolete before you even found you needed a new computer.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

I'd be wary of buying prebuilt systems, unless you're not into building your own. You can get a bargain on them sometimes but make sure you check out all the components, sometimes it all looks good but they've cheaped out on something important. With care you can build your own system for about the same price and you know exactly what you're getting.

P.S. Compaq is the computer equivalent of AIDs. HP ain't great either.

Johnny

Banned

If you build on your own then you can get a computer cheaper. But the hardware market is a minefield of compatibility issues. The dumbest things can effect eachother. A soundcard can screw with your graphics card. Reducing performance. The graphics card can blow hot air on the wrong parts of the motherboard or another installed card and cause overheating.

A prebuilt computer might cost more but atleast you have a warranty that everything inside works together so if the graphics card ****s itself inside out and catches fire causing the whole box to melt then you get a new one for free and since graphics cards get outdated so fast then you will get a newer card because the older ones that your computer came with are out of stock. If you build it yourself you only have a warranty for each seperate part and then they can allways blame you for installing it improperly or with the wrong parts.

BobCox2

Diabloii.Net Member

Budget - that is the ultimate limiting point of your purchase - don’t have more than $600? Then you are limited to basic gaming capabilities and low resolutions. Can shell out one grand? You can get descent machine to play any game with at least medium settings on average monitor. Do you have $3K to spare? You will be able to run any game on any monitor with highest settings. $5000 will buy you an assurance that you will not need any upgrades next 2-4 years to be on top of the gaming!

Most important choices are: CPU and Video Card. These two components have most influence on your gaming experience.

CPU - If you want to spend less than one thousand dollars than you should look at AMD processors, they have better value in lower segment, really good ones are 5000+ and 5400+. If you want to spend around $1K - look at Intel E4500, running on default 2.2Ghz it can be overclocked over 3.0Ghz without sweat if you have good CPU cooler, and at that frequency it “kicks some ***” for the money it costs. For budgets over $1500 check out Intel Q6600 - excellent Quad Core that can be also overclocked to around 3.0Ghz with good cooler, more and more games are optimized for quads, so you will see the difference!

Video Card - be careful here, serious gamers do not look at 8500XX or 8600XX cards - they are good for low budget, but you will see HUGE performance increase if you get at least 8800GS or 9600GT. If you want high resolution then check this best value video card - 8800GT, based on G92 core with 512Mb memory it really runs awesome! For higher end check out 8800GTS and 9800GTX, these two will let you set HIGH settings in all games! For most demanding gamers - 9800 GX2, this is the most powerful single card in the world, actually it’s based on 2 8800GTS cards “glued” together in one awesome beast. It will be enough for biggest monitors and highest settings, same as SLI setup of dual 8800GT, 2x 8800GTS or 2x 9800GTX - all offering best speed in all games.

CPU Cooler - do not underestimate it!!!!! If you select stock cooler you will get high temperatures, lots of noise and no overclock (Free speed boost). Do you think that spending extra $30 on a good cooler is too much to drop temps about 15’C for more stable operation, not hear any noise and jump-start your CPU at 3.0Ghz instead of stock 2.2Ghz? That is way too much value to not upgrade CPU cooler. Money you spend here give the most feedback for every 1$.

Power Supply - Very important if you planning on upgrading video card or any other components. PSU that are selected by default with all our models are sufficient for them with default options. If you upgrade video card you should select better power supply to accommodate increased power requirements. For example 8800GS or 9600GT will work with standard PSU, but adding second card in SLI require at least 600W SLI ready PSU. 8800GT & 8800GTS will benefit from 550W PSU, 9800GTX and 9800 GX2 work better with 700W power supplies. Dual 8800GT, 8800GTS and 9800GTX will work best with 750W PSU. You will not make mistake by getting better power supply, your computer will always benefit from more reliable and consistent power it needs inder heavy loads when you play games!

Memory - important component that goes after CPU and Cooler and Video Card. Basically, as long as you get 2Gb DDR2-800 you are good to go. You will see incremental performance increases if you upgrade to DDR2-1066 or DDR3 memory. Getting 4Gb memory today is not that important, but will definitely help in future. Especially since it’s relatively cheap upgrade and Vista really likes to eat all the memory available!

Motherboard - pretty simple, more money you spend here more features you are going to get as well as some speed bump. For example nForce 590 will have FireWire but nForce 570 will not. NVIDIA nForce 650i or 750i have 2 PCi-e slots for video cards, but 680i & 780i & 790i will have 3 PCI-e 16x to install three video cards. nForce 790i supports DDR3 memory giving it big advantage + it’s future-proof! More expensive motherboards usually more reliable and have better overclocking settings.

Hard Drive - most gamers do not need more than 250Gb or 320Gb SATA2 HDD. Some will even be good with just 160Gb. But if you want significant performance boost - check RAID HDD setups. RAID means that 2 (or more) hard drives will do same job at the same time, splitting all the load, decreasing read and write operation 2 times or more. Relatively cheap upgrade like RAID-0 with dual 250Gb or 320Gb drives will help games load faster, shorten file operations, boost Windows speed.
WD Raptor has faster spinning speed (10000RPM vs regular 7200RPM) and therefore works 25% faster.

Fans, Cooling & Fans - Heat is the worst computer’s enemy and all these 3 upgrades help reduce heat by moving air more effectively inside of case and out of it, cooling important components like CPU, Video Card, Motherboard and memory. Cheap upgrades that can make huge difference. Plus better cabling will look cool if you have clear side window!

Case - if you care only about it’s look, then get what ever you like. If you are concerned with cooling capabilities, then select CM RC-690, Antec 900, Thermaltake Armor, CM Cosmos 1100, NZXT Zero. If you don’t want to hear any noise from your PC check these cases: NZXT Hush, NZXT Alpha, CM RC-690, TT Tsunami. When you spend more on the case you get more features, better quality and better cooling.

Windows XP vs Vista - XP is 20% faster and has less bugs, Vista is newer and supports DX10 gaming. Final choice is yours

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

A lot of what BC said is good, although personally I wouldn't recommend overclocking (bye bye warranty, I mean that's fine if you have the money to replace it if necessary) or RAID, and XP has DX10 too.

Generally speaking, don't try to build a hot rig on a budget.

If you build on your own then you can get a computer cheaper. But the hardware market is a minefield of compatibility issues. The dumbest things can effect eachother. A soundcard can screw with your graphics card. Reducing performance. The graphics card can blow hot air on the wrong parts of the motherboard or another installed card and cause overheating.

A prebuilt computer might cost more but atleast you have a warranty that everything inside works together so if the graphics card ****s itself inside out and catches fire causing the whole box to melt then you get a new one for free and since graphics cards get outdated so fast then you will get a newer card because the older ones that your computer came with are out of stock. If you build it yourself you only have a warranty for each seperate part and then they can allways blame you for installing it improperly or with the wrong parts.
It depends actually, if they're clearing out stock you can get a prebuilt for less than a self-built.

You generally only get those sort of weird conflicts if you buy no-name components, one big thing I'd advise is to always get a good brand. Even if there is a problem, at least you can google it or get proper support.

You do have to know a bit about components to build things yourself but it's really not that big a deal, there's rarely more than one or two standards in play at one time. Upgrading aging systems is more likely where you'd encounter those problems.

Mostly it depends on your taste, if you are interested in this stuff and like building yourself it's definitely a good option, but if you really don't want to get that under the hood and just want a computer end of story then there's no problem getting a prebuilt really. Either way, do your research and know what you're getting and you can get a good deal and have a machine you're happy with.

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member

Johnny can be such a good poster when he wants to.

Pillz

Diabloii.Net Member

If you're looking for a prebuilt I'd recommend a dell, just find a coupon code for what you're buying and the price will be tough to beat.

If you're planning on building your own I'd go for a base of:
9600GT
4gb ram
intel e7200
Abit IP35 pro

Pick a psu/case/etc from there, but that should run you easily under 1k and will be quite the computer.

Saying you can't get much of a computer for 1k is somewhat outlandish and uninformed. You won't be able to run Crysis at max, but for just about everything else you'll get a more than capable computer.

Beyond that, I think there is a lot of misinformation going around in this thread with regards to compatibility, pros and cons of building your own, and performance of components so I'd recommend spending some time researching on various websites dedicated towards computers.