Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best for starting

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by FlattyFlatty, Apr 9, 2005.

1. FlattyFlatty

FlattyFlatty IncGamers Member

Best for starting

I was just wondering what opinions were on the best char build for someone just starting HC and without any gear there.

2. LuckyDwarf

LuckyDwarf IncGamers Member

Best start char thread #...... 31982754? ;) I would suggest doing a search for this, since this topic is everywhere here. I believe people suggested that the summoning necro or a lightning trapper are the best to start with. Good luck! :)

Lucky

3. det

det IncGamers Member

Lucky Dwarf is right on all accounts :D

4. Still-Xey-Lover

Still-Xey-Lover IncGamers Member

In other words: make a trapper or skellymancer.

5. FlattyFlatty

FlattyFlatty IncGamers Member

sorry for not searching, but the advice is appriceated

6. LuckyDwarf

LuckyDwarf IncGamers Member

Honestly, everyone says make a summoner necro or a trapper, but those classes bore me. I usually play sorcs because they are fun and I'm good with them. If you don't feel like playing the two classes mentioned, try something that you're good with or enjoy playing. When you die, and you will, don't get too frustrated and quit. That's hardcore for you.. we all die. :p

Lucky

7. Valar-Wrath

Valar-Wrath IncGamers Member

Skellymancer if you want to be extremely safe or lightning trapper if you want to be pretty safe and still want to mf well. I also think lightning trappers are not as boring as necros.

8. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Javazon and Hammerdin are both incredibly easy to start as well. Not quite so safe as the trapper/summoner, but still incredibly easy.

Orb/ES/TK sorc isn't a great start-from-scratch character but this late into the ladder season it's still not exactly a hard thing to do as you can pick up all the gear for one with pgems before going to NM.

9. Raver

Raver IncGamers Member

A skell necro is always the safest, but personally i like to start off with a vita blizz sorc.

10. Ankeli

Ankeli IncGamers Member

2nd that
    10etc

11. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

Trapper, Summoner, Sorceress (Blizz), Amazon (javelins), Hammerdins all mentioned. All good. Me, I like the Wind Druid.

Bottom line, they're all good. Pick something and make it. If you don't like it. Make a new one. It won't cost you anymore. It should just be something fun.

Just remember what was said before I popped in, we all die. This is hardcore.

Masa

12. sonikki_

sonikki_ IncGamers Member

i think you should start with a find item/grim ward barb. but thats just me.

13. Sasuke42

Sasuke42 IncGamers Member

If you want to MF well, and maybe can find a couple friends to play with a Bone Necro is really good. You'll be nearly useless until Act 3 though, and won't start killing REALLY well until you hit Normal Baal (you need your Bone Spear to be a high level). If you want my advice, just stick with the skelly necro and get 1 point in Dim Vision. By Nightmare Pits you'll have enough + skills that the dim vision will actually do something, and then you can just MF in there. You'll get some decent stuff (unique drops are pretty common in NM pits even if you don't have much MF), and then you can start any other character you want. ciao.

14. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

I started with a javazon and summoner. Diablo can be real dangerous in normal for a summoner until you get a few +skills items to boost summon resist and such. He took my summoner out. A CS/LF amazon can do incredibly well through NM baal runs. You rarely run into Light immunes through Nightmare and the ones you do go down very quickly to 1 point in jab. You can get away with wearing a bunch of rare MF items for NM baal runs to build up a little wealth. That is where I am at now. I would start a couple characters at the same time so you can drill lots of sockets in stuff.

15. Ankeli

Ankeli IncGamers Member

i somehow feel a summon necro BORING to play and to lvl up. so i wouldnt pick that. i also dislike javazons before titans, dunno why...
    its just that a bliz sorc needs no godly gear to be fast (tele) and decently powerful vs act bosses.

just my opinion though..

16. Joel9-Co

Joel9-Co IncGamers Member

Simple, you are new, you want items to build whatever you want... Make a Blizz sorc... MF what you need in NM meph, hell Andy until you are strong enough for NM meph... When you have the gear you need, start whatever you feel like it... would this be a passive aura pally or a summon druid. Whatever float your boat.

17. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

We're talking about a starting char with no good gear:

Trapper: solo untwinked is playable throughout the game including entire Hell; may have a very hard time to kill stuff in Hell due to LI, but can kill pretty fast in NM past level 70s.

Sorceress (Blizz): very powerful in NM/Norm in whatever gear she can make - after that she'll need decent gear.

Sorceress (Meterorb and variations): same as Blizz sorc.

Amazon (javazons): very strong even in mediocre gear, but she needs Titan's or similar + some not-too-bad gear to be really effective in Hell without worrying too much.

Hammerdins: solo untwinked is playable, but is very hard to survive in some difficult places without decent gear or other players' help. Very powerful once his gear is perfected.

Wind Druid: his killing speed will never take off, but is okay if you play in a party. And if you enjoy Druid, you should find this build enjoyable too.

summoner: a well-built necro in very poor gear can walk through the game all the way from Norm Blood moor to killing Baal in Hell - solo, untwinekd is not hard to him. -- By the way, he's not really as boring as some said, and absolutely no monster in the game can really stand in his way.

Amazon (bowazon): except for a few places, you'll have little trouble fighting your way out in Norm/NM. With a decent gear and maybe some (new) runeword on HCL, you may be okay in Hell too. With a top bow/ decent gear, you'll be able to vanquish everything in the game pretty fast. her problems include lag death and poor resist in Hell (if in poor gear). Lag can kill her fairly easily.

I played all the above builds on first 1.10 ladder, and all over again after its reset. some of them solo played and beat the entire game on HCL on their own. I only lost 1 char by mistake (a lvl 67? ama to a sorc PK) - all others just expired.

- If you're familar with the game, I'd suggest that you pick up whichever char/build you feel comfortable with. And just play it. Any build you like should work.

- There are many other decent builds out there too. For example, I personally think Barb has lost power in 1.10, but my friend solo played a WW Barb in full IK set through entire Hell, no real problem - and he used that 2h mace without even having a shield in HC Hell!

- Don't let lack of MF gear distract you. Have fun!