Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

best cold sorc armor?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by tomersss, Mar 5, 2017.

1. tomersss

tomersss Diabloii.Net Member

ormus blizzard.jpg so i found this armor here. my sorc is a lightning/orb sorc. but i was wondering if this is the best you can get for a blizzard sorc and in which case should i respec to blizzard for mf? since thats the main focus for my sorc..
    thanks in advance for replies :)

2. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

Ormus' is definitely not among the best MF armors. I'd much rather have Tal's 3-piece or Skullder's. The only good usage of this PvM-wise is probably on a Travincal Blizzsorc, but then again I'd rather use CoH/Arkaine's there since I play HC.

In any case I'd say it's worth it to the repsec to pure Blizzard and run Meph/AT/Pindle. Hybrids are nice to play through the game with but can't compare to pure Blizzard's farming abilities.

3. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

Sadly, I don't think this piece of armor is best for anything at all, at least I didn't find where it would shine. I also have it and never use it.

I theorycrafted it should make travincal sorc pretty awesome with high blizzard damage, but it turned out that I didn't find ANY difference between having 14k and 10k damage on her, only thing Ormus did to me is made me more vulnerable and easier to get killed. So, even for Travincal this armor is simply outperformed by a simple Vipermagi or more optimal choices in 1.07 Ark or CoH. Even without Ormus it is possible to get near 12k damage if one chose to do, so it is almost like a waste of slot pretty much.

In MF environment, this armor sucks. Better and much stronger alternatives are 3 piece Tal's set (amulet, armor and belt) or Skullder's or even Enigma all crush Ormus into pieces. For general play, 1.07 Ark is really great armor to have, I used it on CS sorc who is fastest leveling character in diablo world up to level 97 (or maybe even 98).

Long story short, blizzard ormus is one of those armors that looks great, but offers little to nothing compared to alternatives. Only potential use of such armor I see is in PvP where you can achieve potential 4k+ instakill damage while being really glass cannon yourself. Other than that... not really impressive piece of equipment.

When to respec to MF? When you are ready to nail some AT running, no sorc is better than AT blizzard sorc for MF.

4. Korlic

Korlic Diabloii.Net Member

If you run cows and want low MF and high damage this is the best armour. Resists are also not that important in mooh mooh land :)

Just don't kill the king! ;)

5. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

Definitely has some use, and if it's only Cows as Korlic said. It lacks defensive stats for sure, especially resist, and you do want to put an RBF in there, too. But in some combination with godly crafted and rare stuff that makes up for that (e.g. +skills/FCR/res/stats circlet, insane ammy and good tri-res boots) it can have a place in a damage oriented but nonetheless well-rounded set of gear as well.

Anyways grats on the find, I've found some 7-8 Ormus' Robes over the years but never with Blizzard. Arguably my best one is +3 Lightning, but that's really just worse than CoH in basically every way. :)

6. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

Good call, forgot about the cows. Indeed Ormus could be used on cows with good success. Though then question is why would someone run cows with blizzsorc if there are, to my knowledge, at least 5 characters better in that :D

7. Korlic

Korlic Diabloii.Net Member

True but if you don't have a dedicated cow runner, it might be ok. I never run cows above P3 and I think a Blizz sorc with decent gear can run that ok fast, although there are of course better options.

8. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

Blizz sorc can also run p7 easy and quite effectively, also minimizing chance to kill Cow King by accident. Can still happen though, as one of my Blizzard Sorcs can tell with a heavy heart. :) Actually considering to play Sorc again for RFL round 3 as well, but maybe Lightning instead of Blizzard this time.

Of course things like Java or PN/CE Necromancer are more effective. Two of my favourite characters as well, especially Java, looking forward to RFL Cows to play these two.

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

A Blizzard sorc can kill pretty well even with few +skills or +damage bonuses, so she can concentrate fully on MF. The best standalone choice for that purpose is Skullder's. I think that's more useful that what a blizzard Ormus' can offer.

When considering other factors, the best armor+amulet+belt option is Tal's. Skullder's, Goldwrap and a MF amulet can come close to that, but those three Tal items are probably better than what a good rare amulet can add.

Versus Pindle, the best armor is probably Enigma. For a sorc, it's ironically about the run/walk bonus which is most useful when she can't teleport, like in town on the way to Anya's portal. However, it's debatable whether it would be a cost effective choice, as it needs two high runes for saving perhaps one two seconds per Pindle run.

10. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

That's what 1.07 M'Avina and 1.09 small charms are for. Also, Harmony bow on switch.