Best class/build to start ladder with?

sweetalmonds

Diabloii.Net Member
Best class/build to start ladder with?

Thinking of sorc/java for mf, or hammerdin for lvl99! But I wonder if they finally nerf some builds with a patch that comes with the reset

scoobs

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Best class/build to start ladder with?

Doubt there'll be a nerf.
Definately sorc - either meteorb or blizzard would be top choices for mf I think

galzohar

Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know anything about ladder resets (although if there would've been one, I'd drop my SP campaign and give ladder a go with all the dupes removed into non-ladder at least for a while).

For builds (more or less from most to least viable, but all should be very well possible with little-no gear):

Hammerdin is a real no-brainer. You can probably play one naked and do great.

The first ladder season I went with FA/multi zon which is actually a very strong build which requires very little trading, however you do need to trade. Razortail is almost a requirement although with kuko+buriza for weapons you can live without it. I went with upgraded lycander's for both multi and FA (using FA against non-CIs that don't require to take advantage of multi's range/aoe), which was good enough. However I think you can do better with a wizendraw for FA and upped buriza for multi, since upped buriza is actually the best bow excluding windforce and faith.
Skills were max FA/CA, penetrate, a couple in crit, a lot in multi and 1 in guided arrow and the rest of the passive&magic.
LF instead of multi is also an option but LIs are more common than PIs and titan's will probably be more on-demand than a buriza or lycander's.

Meteorb sorcs are also a pretty good option - more survivable than hammerdins due to range but not as much damage when putting ~30 points in the cold tree for FI killing leaving less-than-optimal fire setup. But it does kill just fine. Single element sorcs are an option if you plan to have teammates kill immunes for you or just run pindle all the time (in which case blizz would probably be best btw), but for soloing any zone with immunities you can forget about it.

I never tried summoning necros but everyone claim they do great naked, although it really depends what exactly you're trying to do. For example I wouldn't make one if you're going for pindle runs.

Trappers are easy to get gear for and do fine, however if you're maxing fireblast you may not kill as fast. Very safe though as you don't need to be anywhere near the mobs you're killing.

Poison necros are pretty bad against single targets and have to get a bit close, but their AOE ability is magnificent. Prepare for a hard time against poison immunes though, as even if you manage to break them, without good -resist gear they're going to take a very long time to kill. Only 60 points in your main skills easily allow for maxing CE and still having some leftover points for increasing LR radius and 1 base point in all summoning skills.

I think this covers all the options that are viable without any gear that assumes inflaed/dupe-filled economy and won't require much trading.

scoobs

Diabloii.Net Member

starting MF character?

summon necro.
I agree that necros make safe mf characters but they're just too slow for early ladder item hunting since they're more for area runs rather than boss runs until the dupe runes come in. But once the dupes kicks in, the hammerdins would take over again as always as the top mfers.

ProfessionalBerg

Diabloii.Net Member

I'll probably abandon D2 after the ladder reset (although I will still visit here, of course ;)).

If it were me, however, I'd go with a Meteorb. They are fun, easy to outfit, and they can tackle almost any place in Hell.

alphaz

Diabloii.Net Member

I vote meteorb too. Tal set meteorb is awesome for me.

carnivore

Diabloii.Net Member

trapsin or some sort of bowazon (with frozen arrow and another elmental attack) for me.
all needed euipment for those two can be gambled, shopped or crafted.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

Pure blizzy. What you can't get from meph and AT isn't worth getting in the beginning of the ladder.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator

Definitely a sorc, because of teleport. Speed is the key. A blizzard sorc will deal the most damage with crap gear. That will help a lot until end of nightmare (and she will derfinitely be the best solo nightmare Meph runner), but then you need teamplay to get them past the cold immunes. In hell mode it can be a bit painful to do Meph or Pindle runs with her because Bloodlords are cold immune and they are hard to park elsewhere and Pindle sometimes sits in a blind spot for blizzard or he is cold immune and your merc might not have the optimum gear yet.

AFAIK there are no cold immune monsters around hell Andy, correct ?

I will probably start with a meteorb sorc because I don't like too much specialization for my characters. Meteor is one of the perfect skills for the moat trick and maxing one of its synergies is enough - which happens to be fireball, being synergized by meteor in return. FO doesn't need any synergy.

I'm also not wasting time with being stingy on str or even dex, so my sorc can wear her equipment right at the moment she gets it. I can do these things with a later char, but even then it doesn't pay off to save up an extra 20 str and 5 dex, for 50 life on a MF sorc with no BO.

Char 1: Meteorb (Meph, Pindle, Eldritch, Tunnels)
Char 2: Zealot (Trav, Baal, Ãœbers)
Char 3: FO/CL sorc (keys)
Char 4: Strafer (Diablo, Pits)

sweetalmonds

Diabloii.Net Member

Since mana will be a big problem for a new sorc might I go the es route by maxing tk and have some sort of prebuff on switch or will the lack of damage make runs a lot longer?

Marslite

Diabloii.Net Member

I vote for Meteorb sorc too, and will follow the guide available in the sorc. forum.

I am going to make/build these chars simultaneously.

1. Meteorb Sorc - for teleing around, mfing to twink my other characters
2. Paladin - He will go on to become a Hammerdin

The sorc will also be used to rush my other characters and/or possibly mf in cows, pits etc.

Thanks for discussing this here at the right time - when the ladder is resetting !

Davidus

Diabloii.Net Member

frenzy barb

but i hope they release a patch with lots of skill changes and i can try out something new:)

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator

Don't care about stats, give your sorc as much as she needs at the moment she has access to the items she is going to wear. Being stingy on stats for the first character is a waste of time. She's a MF character and these things are pretty irrelevant. I did very well versus Andy, Meph, Tunnels, Eldritch, Shenk and even in the CS with my sorc all the time and she has too much str and dex as well. If you can save 30 stat points, it will be 60 life. You can make these considerations with later characters.

Also, Spirit is a better shield for a meteorb sorc than a Stormshield (and easier to get). You need neither DR nor max blocking, but fcr, res and +skills.

Lyrs

Diabloii.Net Member

156 str (spirit monarch)
75 dex (wizardspike)
--both are easy to get and give you lots of mana.
rest vitality

if you go with a 2/1/2 stat distribution, by the time you find the items, you should have close enough stats.