Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

best choice of unique 1 hand weapon?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by SM17H, Apr 1, 2004.

1. SM17H

SM17H Banned

best choice of unique 1 hand weapon?

i was wondering what peoples opinions on the best 1 hand unique weapon for a conc barb?

im currently lvl 65 and i am about to begin maxing a mastery. i dont hold any hope of making a good runeword weapon because the runes are just too rare!

i was looking at the elite unique weapons on diabloii.net and thought that the maces were pretty much the way to go. at the moment i have a blood (something) unique sword (the one with blood golem charges) i shaeled that and im doing fine in act 5 nm.

what i wanted to know is what do you think i should realistically look for for an end game weapon? from what ive seen on diabloii.net the maces look like my best bet..

also, i have the runewords to make cresent moon, is that good enough in your opinion? if so, what weapon is it best put into?

any help would be much appreciated

2. MFdoom

MFdoom IncGamers Member

if you havent got alot of stuff try and get yourself a lightsaber or baranas star- the attack speed with lightsabre while wearing highlords wrath and 20ias gloves is awsome- you can take down hell meph with crushing blow n 10 secs- if you like maces though i dont really like maces so- pm your email and you can have my baranas...

3. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

A Crainte Vomir upgraded to Legend Sword would be a really good weapon.

'Crescent Moon' looks to be a great weapon. I would make in a Berserker Axe, a Legend Sword or a Phase Blade. Definately in a Phase Blade if you have a decent amount of Crushing Blow from the rest of the equipment.

4. SM17H

SM17H Banned

thanks for the offer of the baranas star but i would feel too guilty taking it off your hands! that was actually one of the weapons i was looking at though, i would really like to find one!..

i had a look at the light saber and think it could be a good option.. are any of these as good/better in your opinion?;

Schaefer's Hammer
    Legendary Mallet
    (War Hammer)
    (102-117) - (124-142) Dmg
    +2* Clvl Max Damage
    Indestructible
    189 Str Required
    No Dex Required
    Item Level: 83
    Clvl Req: 79 +100-130% Enhanced Damage
    +2 Max damage per Clvl
    +16 to Attack Rating per Clvl
    Adds 50-200 lightning damage
    +50 to Life
    Lightning Resist +75%
    20% Increased Attack Speed
    Indestructible
    +1 to Light Radius
    20% Chance to cast level 10 Static Field on striking

Stormlash
    Scourge
    144.5-170 Avg Dmg 1H
    13.6-16 - 275.4-324
    65 Durability
    125 Str Required
    77 Dex Required
    Item Level: 86
    Clvl Req: 82 +(240-300)% Enhanced Damage
    +30% Increased Attack Speed
    15% Chance to cast level 10 Static Field on striking
    20% Chance to cast level 18 Tornado on striking
    Attacker Takes Lightning Damage of 30
    33% Chance of Crushing Blow
    +(3-9) Lightning Absorb
    Adds 1-473 Lightning Damage

Stone Crusher
    Legendary Mallet
    217.8-250 Avg Dmg 1H
    200-240 - 235.6-260.4
    65 Durability
    189 Str Required
    No Dex Required
    Item Level: 76
    Clvl Req: 68 +(280-320)% Enhanced Damage
    +(20-30) to Strength
    40% Chance of Crushing Blow
    -25% Target Defense
    -100 to Monster Defense Per Hit
    Damage +(10-30)

Nord's Tenderizer
    Truncheon
    148-172 Avg Dmg 1H
    133.2-154.8 - 162.8-189.2
    55 Durability
    ** Str Required
    43 Dex Required
    Item Level: 76
    Clvl Req: 68 +(270-330)% Enhanced Damage
    Hit Freezes Target +(2-4)
    +25% Increased Attack Speed
    Level 16 Blizzard (12 Charges)
    (150-180)% Bonus to Attack Rating
    Cold Absorb (5-15)%
    Adds 205-455 Cold damage Chills for 5 seconds

Horizon's Tornado
    Scourge
    140.25-161.5 Avg Dmg 1H
    13.2-15.2 - 267.3-307.8
    65 Durability
    100 Str Required
    62 Dex Required
    Item Level: 72
    Clvl Req: 64 +(230-280)% Enhanced Damage
    +50% Increased Attack Speed
    Slows Target by 20%
    20% Chance to cast level 15 Tornado on striking
    Requirements -20%

***taken from diabloii.net

maybe the last couple dont compare but i really like the look of Schaefer's Hammer & Stormlash..

can anybody give me maybe a list of 1-5 or something of what i should aim for, because as soon as i get something good im gonna start maxing a mastery.. sorry to be a pest!

does cresent moon runeword compare to the items above?

5. SM17H

SM17H Banned

also how would i go about upgrading a unique exceptional to an unique elite? i thought it was only possible to upgrade a normal unique to exceptional unique.. if im wrong is the crainate the best exceptional unique, what about the butchers pupil? also, how much extra damage , roughly, does cubing it to a elite do? sorry for the bombardment of questions!

6. SM17H

SM17H Banned

with the cresent moon runeword, whats so good about it? is the %20 chance to cast level 13 static field very good? i havent had much experience with that spell..

is open wounds any good? isnt it just like poison damage? very slow?

and my brother tells me that level 18 summon wolf is crap! is he right? how many wolves can u have out at 1 time? only one?

(i bet you can now tell from the amount of questions that i am still a fairly new-bie to this game! ;-)

7. SM17H

SM17H Banned

one more thing! (i probly think of another but anyway) i bet u guys must be sick of me!..

i also have the runes to make the stone runeword for armour, is my Um rune better spent in the cresent moon or the Stone armour? and on a bit of a side note, would stone armour be good enough for my end game equipment? whats level 16 moulten boulder and level 16 clay golem like?

8. chiam_ace

chiam_ace IncGamers Member

Cresent Moon is awesome! My Avenger Paladin is currently using it in a Phrase Blade and it's working perfectly with moderate damage. I prefer Cresent Moon over Lightsabre since I have 95 lightning resist to diss the lightning absorb bonus from Lightsabre.

9. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Crescent moon is very good. From those uniques you listed I would pick Stormlash or Schaeffers too, but they both are really rare. Nord's Tenderizer is often underrated weapon, my zealot beat hell with it easily. But I don't know if it is good for a conc barb...Make Crescent Moon, im pretty sure you won't be disappointed

10. Duy

Duy IncGamers Member

the stone runeword is great for pvp!! and yes you can use it in hell - its quite viable.. since you're a barbarian, hitting 25k defense would not be hard, especially with this armour.

upgrading an exceptional to elite unique weapon:
    1 lum rune
    1 pul rune
    1 perfect emerald
    and the exceptional unique weapon

i think stormlash is one of the best one handed weapons out there!!

so overall i say, use the um rune for Stone and use the stormlash as your weapon. (this is my opinion anyways hehe)

11. pesot

pesot IncGamers Member

ok as far as finding a b'star, i have a pretty bad luck at 1st. i got my first from a giveaway and my 2nd via trade. but after finding one on my own, i now have six of those things. believe me, you would be doing me a favour by taking one of mine :) .

as for your mace of choice, if you are not a frenzy barb, stay away from a legendary mallet. those things are too slow. conc barb needs high speed weapons, so go with the scourge class. the vomir is nice too, since it has 50%ias and slow target :thumbsup: .

as for static field, it will take down monsters hit points by certain % within the radius of effect. great for a frenzy barb since you'll be hitting crazy fast.

hope that'll help.

12. jiansonz

(surfs over to diabloii.net to check out what sort of item The Butcher´s Pupil is. Ah, an excpetional unqiue one-handed axe).

Looks good, but not as good as Crainte Vomir in my opinion. I guess I just like the slowing, the PDR, the Faster Run and the insane attack speed (-65!) it would get as a Legend Sword.

Yes, you can upgrade exceptional unique/rare weapons but it demands two rare runes each:

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/cube.shtml

Open Wounds is better than poison in most cases. While the poison damage only works against monster regeneration (meaning that you need a very strong poison to drain away any significant amount of life from the critters on Hell), Open Wounds stops it completely during the 8 seconds the monster is bleeding. Prevent Monster Heal also stops regeneration and lasts longer, but you get no bleeding damage.

I looked a bit on the stats for the weapons you mentioned. I have some problems valuing them since the best melee weapons I have ever used are Cloudcrack and Aldur´s Rhythm.

Stone Crusher looks to be too slow but any of the others would do great, I think.

Don´t forget that rares and Cruel magical ones with 2 sockets also can be really good weapons.

13. SM17H

SM17H Banned

thanks for all the help guys, its much appreciated!

but im still a little undecided :-( ive actually got aldurs rythm but found bloodmoon better..

im now also wondering if i should use my Um in stone or cresent moon, or neither.. i just really dont wanna stuff up because i dont like my chances of finding all the runes again!

im really tearing my hair out over this!

also someone said that Stone runeword is good for pvp, is it still great for single player? if i put it in the highest armour possible would it be a great armour? what are my chances of finding a better one?

i dont know if i should put crescent moon in or hope for a unique that has been listed.. is cresent moon better than those uniques? ive heard varied opinions..

14. SM17H

SM17H Banned

also with aldurs rythem or any set item for that matter, is it possible to upgrade from exceptional to elite?

15. jiansonz

Nope.

I for one would love if it was. Then the Death´s Hand + Death´s Guard combo would be even better, for example.

16. slowpoke

slowpoke IncGamers Member

1) Don't forget, pick a weapon that you like. If you think maces are cool, by all means use one. You can beat the game with any of the discussed weapons.

2) On cresent moon vs. stone: that will partally depend on your other equipment. Do you have another good armor or weapon? How are your resists? (When you get to hell difficulity, check your resists, then decide)

If you need resists, gloom and even smoke have better resists than stone. However, both stone and gloom need a pul, which can be hard to find.
    If your armor or helm is good and you are planning to use it to the end, you could socket it and put the um in for resists. (I would put a perfect diamond in a shield, since um's are hard to come by)

Ok, I had better stop rambling now, good luck!

slowpoke

17. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

Don't overlook the scepters. The Redeemer in particular, while rare, is one of the higher damage weapons around. Why?

The +damage mod (+60 to +120 for the Redeemer) adds that amount of damage to the weapon's minimum and maximum damage, giving it an extremely high averaage damage.

Death's Cleaver Berserker Axe is another good choice.

Schaeffer's and Stormlash are both great, but rare. Hard to find, and expensive to trade for.

Chris

18. BeatMaster

BeatMaster IncGamers Member

ehm..May I just point out that an upgraded Swordguard would be a great choice for a concentration barb. Although not as appealing as the other weapons damage wise, it does offer a HUGE amount of defense.

-BeatMaster

19. SM17H

SM17H Banned

i dont have any good armours or weapons so im looking for both. i really dont have any end game gear, maybe just a helmet, but im not sure about that..

my resists arent the best either to be honest

20. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

Another good option would be to upgrade the exceptional unique battle sword, Headstriker, to elite. At around lvl 60 you have 100% deadly strike chance, so you will be doing double dmg on every hit. And it's cheap as dirt too, except for the runes that is.