Best char 2 start with

wingkid

Diabloii.Net Member
Best char 2 start with

What is the best character to start with to get myself on my feet with items and such? A character that doesn't have to rely too much on items to be godly.

pedu

Diabloii.Net Member
Summon necro doesnt need any great items to own hell. Its possible with a sorc too. I always start the ladder with a sorc, not a summoner.

pedu

Diabloii.Net Member
Last ladder beginning (and the one before that) i did it with a pure lightning sorc. People usually say that this isnt the way to go. But it is very much possible. So, pure lightning, meteorb or blizzballer. Look for the appropriate build in the sorc forums.

Fists of War

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd say a summoner, like the first person, simply because once I tried to play DII without gear with my summoner, and it kinda worked. As for the light sorc idea...In a thread about sorcs people were saying that you need uber gear to be a good light sorc, more so then any other sorc build, so that might not be such a good idea.

pedu

Diabloii.Net Member
My lightsorc cleared hell without infinity, which is what most count as uber gear for a lightsorc. Gear was something like viper,+3amu, shako, arach maybe, wartravs, chancies, rare rings, oculus, spirit. Merc had insight, some armor, tal mask.
Once i got to act1 in hell i started to pit run. Yes i died to archers. But i teled past them too. Great exp. Found some socketables and traded for better stuff and completed hell. It is possible. Maybe needs a little more skill/defensive tele/whatever to complete hell. But the fact of the matter is that it is easier than most people think.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
A necro kills things far too slowly IMO, at least without crazy stuff like Enigma, Beast etc.

If you are used to endless repetition of boring work, start a blizzard sorc and do Pindle+Tunnel runs until your fingers bleed. She will succeed with minimal equipment respectively MF stuff everywhere (which is the point why she's better for a beginner than a lightning sorc), as long as you don't have to deal with cold immunes. If you need a little more versatility, start a meteorb sorc and do the above plus Eldritch and (without a merc) Meph and Andy.

A well-equipped blizzard sorc can do Meph runs as well (you need fcr and fhr to survive teleporting to him), but even when doing the moat trick you will have to abort perhaps 10% of them because of the cold-immune bloodlords or a cold-immune council boss.

Of course, you invest exlusively into your sorc until she is complete. For me it means using a meteorb sorc with Tal's full set (ptopazes in armor and helm, allres jewel in the weapon), WT, 35% Spirit monarch, 2 Nagelrings Gheed's, low torch, 4 fire skillers, SCs to maximize.

psych

Diabloii.Net Member
All sound advices except for Krischan's advice to put an um in tals weapon. You figure out why... ;)

pedu

Diabloii.Net Member
Um in weapon gives open wounds. Which sorcs rarely find any use for. :laugh: Do i get a cookie?

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Haha, it worked. :grin:

FYI, I used my mod privileges to edit my posting after more than one hour which isn't possible for regular members. :tongue:

TheBe

Diabloii.Net Member
I made pure blizz sorc in the beginning of this ladder, and I can easily run meph & andy (I did that for long time before i got some wealth). When next laddr starts (if it does), i'de like to try meteorb (able to kill those annoying cold immunes in hell), so I would be able to run more places with it. And yes, blizz sorc don't really need so good equipment to be affective.

kaervek

Diabloii.Net Member
theres a difference between an all resist jewel and an um rune. You figure out what it is... ;)
Theres also a difference between seeing the orginal post and the edited one, you figure out what it is :tongue:

OT: summoners really tear through norm and nm, faster i'd say than a sorc does. Hell is probably where a sorc overtakes a summoner since the maps are that much bigger and the only teleport a summoner will have is a sorc staff on weapon switch.

of course it depends on how much you party. Untwinked summoners really struggle in 6-8 player hell games.

imnotanewb

Diabloii.Net Member
for my first character (after all my chars expired) i made a firewall sorc. it'll reach 6k dmg per sec with some cheap items: "leaf" and "lore" runewords, and magefist gloves. i found a 2 socket staff with +3 firewall, and made a "leaf", giving me +3 firewall and +3 fire skills.

after a long time, i decided to use extra skill points into static (~10 points) or thunderstorm+lightningmastery

its a fun build if you dont wanna go for cookie cutters.