Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best Buy can eat me.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by alsetzer, Mar 15, 2004.

1. alsetzer

alsetzer IncGamers Member

Best Buy can eat me.

Alright, If i may so rant...

2001, Al goes to BestBuy and purchases a brand spankin new computer. Al, happy with his purchase and understanding that Godawful things often happen to expensive electronics, opts to give BestBuy a few Hundred bucks for their oh so convenient "In-Home Warrenty". Al figures, "better safe than sorry, and if something goes wrong, BestBuy, good to their word and my dollar, will come right out and fix everything tout suite! Right!?"

WRONG

So, skip forward to February 2004. Due to some mechanical failure in my moniter (why oh why do i have such bad luck with moniters....long and other story, ahem*) the screen goes all wiggly and wrong whenever there is an overabundance of white on the screen. Al decides to call up BB and call into effect his Warrenty.

To be fair, the Customer service rep was very nice...

Al: Hey BB, Remember that Warrenty I bought?
    BB: Ya, what of it
    Al: Well, computers messing up, make with the fix
    BB: **1 and 1/2 hours of comp/vid tests to make sure I wasn't lying/stupid.**
    Al: Sooooooooo...what's a guy have to do to get a new moniter then.
    BB: Well, you got me, we'll send of a refurbished moniter.
    Al: ...
    BB: It'll be good we promise, oh, and if you're model isn't in stock, well send a similar model
    Al: (realizing his moniter isn't that great anyway) fine.

So, a week or two passes (or three), march is nigh, and the long awaited (and freakin heavy) package shows up. Al Carries this behemoth from the rental office of his apt complex, to his car, up his stairs, and into his home. Al opens up the new behemoth moniter with fervor and excitement. Pulls out the similar moniter and sets it up...except...

Casing around the screen is all cracked and broken, and, just to add insult to injury, they sent NO cords with the thing. Al is a resonable guy, but figures, "Didn't I pay a few hundred dollars a few years back for this kind of thing not to happen..?"

Al calls Best Buy back.

Al: Hey BB, remember when I called 3 weeks ago?
    BB: Who are you again?
    Al: heh, look the computer that you sent, all busted up.
    BB: Ohhhhhh....We'll send a new (*old) moniter to you right away, could you carry that heavy bastard back to the office so we can pick it up?
    Al: As i recall (getting slightly annoyed at the situation) I paid for IN HOME service. I'll be here friday, make it happen.
    BB: *stunned silence* let me talk to my supervisor
    Al: *hold music* *hums*
    BB: All right, someone will be there on friday for you.
    Al: Excellent, make sure they call me from the office when they get here, I live in an apartment, they cant walk right in.
    BB: Sure, sure, no problem
    Al: Do you know my phone #
    BB: Ohhhhhhhhhh....uh...no.
    Al: sigh

Friday comes and goes. Al sits by the phone. no dice. Al checks the mail to see a note from ups, "We (check box) attempted to deliver your package, could not enter building,"

Alan calls Best Buy, Best Buy references their delivery service, Al calls Delivery service, they reference UPS, Al calls UPS, UPS references Delivery service again.

Alan passes out from the absurdity of using his free time to call people and tell them how to do their jobs, some stuff happens that Al at this point has mostly blacked out from memory, eventually, 4 hours on the phone and a day off of work to stay at home later...The bad moniter (the replacement, cracked screen). is taken away to be re-refurbished, and pawned off on a less bellicose customer.

Time passes.

March arrives, the new replacement arrives at Al's office. Al repeats the carrying of heavy things process and goes to open his new moniter, excited because he has a vauge recollection of speaking on the phone with Customer service supervisors, who assured him that everything would work out. They were not going to send any more similar moniters. They would hold out until Al's original Moniter company had a new one available if needs be.

Al opened the box looking for the fix to his problem

Al: *opens box* this isn't my model, and the screen is all scratched up!
    Box: *what do you want from me, i can't talk. IM A BOX*
    Al: oh, sorry, time to make a phone call.

That leads Al back to today, where he calls BB back and re-tells his story of long phone calls, aggrivating waits around the phone (pickup time between 8am and 7pm. Oh, I'll be sure to wait by the fire... :cheesy: ). Is told by the Customer Service rep that no real problems can be fixed for him at this hour (2:30am, local time, what am I still doing up? I have to get ready to wait for the ups guy to come between 8 and 7, Ima gonna need sleep!) and while he'sasking for the number to speak to a supervisor in the dept, gets hung up on....

Now Al sits, on an internet forum. fuming because this word is covered by a big damn scratch, waiting until tommorw to call a supervisor in random dept of CS, and looking to share his sad tale with any other wary travellers of the internet on this evening.

Peace

Alsetzer :wave:

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Best Buy:

It isn't.

Don't.

3. Kore

Kore IncGamers Member

That's just...

How evil.

4. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Customer service sucks.
    Circuit City offered me a warranty too, tried lecturing me about how common power surges were...and yet my old computer, and as far back as I can remember with my possesion of electronic devices, I have had zero power surges.
    And it's like 300$ too, it's not like you couldn't replace parts for that.

5. Kore

Kore IncGamers Member

Or buy a surge protector. Cheaper, more effective, and works for more than one appliance.

6. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

:cheesy: thats just evil indeed.. christ you own a car? if they arent located too far away from you i would pick up my new monitior right there and test it there... this will lead you to nowhere :S

7. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

Somewhere in the 1998-99 area:

Yavanna's brother spends life savings on Game Boy at Best Buy.

Realizes it might be better to buy AC adapter than fifty million batteries.

Buys adapter. Learns that it does not work with his Game Boy.

Returns adapter. Buys one that says it works with Game Boys. It doesn't.

Returns adapter. Buys one made specifically for Game Boys. It doesn't work.

Returns Game Boy. Best Buy promises rebate check in seven to ten business days.

After seven business days, no check.

After ten business days, no check.

After a full business month, no check.

After two business months, no check.

After two and a half business months with no check, Dad goes to visit store representative and returns with promise the check will arrive in three days, as well as bloody knuckles.

After seven business days, check arrives.

8. Cain

Cain IncGamers Member

Yeah Best Buy sucks. They tried to sell me a $100 warranty on a $200 printer. I had to fight with the people for about 10 minutes. I thought they're not supposed to get commission? It sure sounds like they do... Their excuses were pretty bad too.

"If it gets dirty you can bring it in and we'll clean it...." - I have a can of compressed air, some rubbing alcohol and a few Q-tips laying around I can do it myself.

"If it breaks you'll get a new one..." - Yeah ok.

"We can do a diagnostics to find out exactly what the problem is so you'll have it fixed or a new one in very short period of time..." - I'm a goddam Computer Engineer (or at least I will be in December when I graduate) so chances are you're not going to tell me anything I don't already know and I can probably fix it before you figure out what the problem is!

:rant:

9. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

I had a very similar experience with Compaq, twice. First time was getting a replacement set of restore disks because the ones they shipped with my model were the wrong ones and I needed them. That was 2 MONTHS of similar aggravations to what you experienced. This was in February 2000. A little later that year, my monitor went out so I invoketh my extended warranty. Well, it took way longer than it should have and I experienced similar aggravations but, at least when the monitor came it was brand new and the next model in the line of monitors I already owned.

I HATE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Customer service is an oxymoron. This is why I will NEVER buy a computer from a retailer again. I'll buy the parts and build my own thanks. At least when it breaks I only have to argue with myself and work direct with the manufacturer. It's way better than talking to some idiot CS rep who doesn't know jack about computers other than what their script tells them.

10. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

I just had a pretty ok experience with Best Buy, but I'm sure none of you want to hear about that.

11. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

stupid samsung took 3 months to replace the faulty power cord on my monitor, had to use my crappy old one the whole time.

as for best buy...fire tends to get ones point across.

12. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I had a bad Best Buy experience as well. But it has nothing to do with products, it has to do with a summer job. Last summer, after school got out, it had been about 2 weeks and I had still yet to find a job.

I had heard Best Buy was hiring, so I called them up, they said they were hiring and that I could come in for an interview. I drive my 25 minutes there, and the interview goes really well. The guy said I should probably get the job and that they'd call me the next day to set up a second interview. Next day comes, nothing. Day after that, nothing. So the third day I decide I'll call them and ask when I can schedule my second interview. They tell me that I can come in that day. I figure great, I should have a job by the end of the day. I drive 25 minutes to the store, and when I get there, I ask for the manager and I'm told he'll be out in just a minute and I need to wait for him by the customer service desk. Well I wait for at least half an hour and still no manager. I finally track down an assistant manager telling them I'm here for my second interview. They say oh, what kind of employment are you seeking? Temporary or permanent? I say that I want to work for the rest of the summer. The person then disappears for 15-20 minutes, comes back and tells me Best Buy isn't hiring at all.

So they invited me back for a second interview, they were totally unprepared for me, and after making me wait an hour, they tell me that they aren't hiring. I should take their stuff off the shelves up to the register in a shopping cart, and then when I get the to register, stand there for an hour, and then tell the cashier that I'm not going to buy anything.

13. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

@thejdawg2:
    Argh! Is there anyone claiming that this a rational claim and is universially true? Hopefully not. Look rant up in a dictonary. And no I cannot spell properly, or have normal views on any subjects.
    /end rant

I wouldn't think it wouldn't sit too well with the thread subject.

edit: realized I juggled the Quotes around too much, in resulting sarcastick outlook without smileys, i apoligize.

14. Fallen_62

Fallen_62 IncGamers Member

i work at best buy... what store was it? and they are not sposed to send u out a refurbished one... they are sposed to try and fix the one u have (if u have the service plan) or send u a NEW one, not a refurbished one. i work in the warehouse and i know that... and trust me, not all BB stores are run that way...

no best buy's work on commission anymore, they thought when people were on commission, they would sell more for the money they make/made, and not for the customer's lifestyle... and the psp's (the extended warranty) are for people who dont know jack **** about anything... i work in the warehouse, but i know quite a bit about computers, so when i do my downstocking stuff and i get stopped in computers, it is mostly by people who dont know jack ****. i sold 2 laptops and a desktop in 3 days to people, all 3 with service plans, 2 with a reward zone, 1 with a best buy card application, and tons of accessories... these people didnt know what the hell they needed... the comptuer people at the store u went to were prolly thinking u didnt know that much either... that and they are sposed to get a certain number of psp's out per week/month, so they always try to push that, cuz most of the time, people buy em but hardly ever need/use em...

and yes, let the flames come... i work for best buy :p

15. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

im sure best buy would eat you if it were a carnivore.

16. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

As far as the PSP's go (at Staples we had TSPs and PRPs) while the sales associates don't work on commission anymore, the managers certainly do. They have bonuses tied directly to store performance, and one of the biggest indicators of performance is percentage of products sold with some sort of replacement plan or warranty. So instead of a customer being hounded by an associate who wants his bonus, the customer is now hounded by an associate who doesn't want his boss to be pissed at him. I fail to see how this system is more effective.

17. Fallen_62

hmmm, i wonder if this works the same for us... im not sure if they get bonuses, but they might... it would be a very interesting thing to find out...

that, and if u sell a $100 psp, most of the people who buy it will never use it... sure u have the people who will come in and get it cleaned once a year, but that doesnt cost much to clean a camera or a computer or something... it basically a way for the store to get more money from people who dont know what the hell they are doing.

Oh, and dont tell any1 i told u this, but dont get a reward zone card... they are the most idiotic thing i have heard of... $10 membership for 1 year, and every $125 u spend (its a point system, 1 point for every penny u spend in the store, so 12,500 points is $125), u get a $5 gift card in the mail... now, the points accumulate every time u shop in the store, and once u get 12500 they send u another gift card... but the thing is, once u get that gift card, you have to spend $130 in the store to get to $125 and so on and so forth, thus bringing in the law of diminishing returns... kinda...

so yea, if they ask if u want a reward zone, if you are smart, say no, but if u want to get "free" money from the company, by all means, buy one from me :D

18. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

i think i liked the part where you tried to talk to the box the best :thumbsup:

19. Death Merchant

Death Merchant IncGamers Member

Best Buy tried to get me to have them install my new dvd drive for $50 after my old one died. Besides, only 2 screws were holding it in the case. I almost said to the guy at the counter; "You're fking high if I am going to pay $50 for 2 tiny screws."

20. Fallen_62

death, that is a standard question to ask... we get tons of people who dont know how to install stuff like that... dont blame them for asking a question they are taught to ask since they got hired.