Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best build for beginning HC player?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by ButterFace, Mar 24, 2004.

1. ButterFace

ButterFace IncGamers Member

Best build for beginning HC player?

This may have been asked before but I would like to know what the best survivable character build is. I dont have much in the way of items and will basically be playing from scratch, untwinked. So, any suggestions you can make would be great. Thanks.

2. DarkHoly

DarkHoly IncGamers Member

Pure survivability, I'd say hammerdin or any barb, really. They'd both get you into nightmare, at which point you could MF nm meph for goodies.

-Dark

3. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

Fire sorc is decent, if you know how to play a sorc.

Other than that : Fire Claw Druid (bear), Conc barb, Hammer-a-din

4. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

Any build is good until you get into hell.

For survivalbility, a hammerdin works wonders, but since this is your first character, try a blizzard or fireball sorc. ONce you have them up and running, so long as they don't die, they'll be good for milking items from NM bosses, until you have enough good materials to get the really good stuff in hell.

5. NeoSolidSnake

NeoSolidSnake IncGamers Member

All I can say is, anything you are good with, even if you think your good with.

First character doesn't always have to be the MF'er too...

So anything your comfortable and have some skill in I guess..

6. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

I'll dump the Zoo Necro in here, and that'll give you an idea of how many options you got.

Oh - Trapper Assassin works too.

Right... That just leaves the Wind Druid then ... And Poison Zons.

;)

Seriously - play what you know or like best and are least likely to screw up anytime soon.
    You'll die anyway, might as well have fun getting there.

7. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

I'd have to say Skele Necro as best survivable char with no equip.
    Trapsin is next for me.
    I've always found my hammerdin took a pounding early on (but only because I didn't have max block).
    Also, I've never played a wind druid, but they seem quite good.
    Damn, any char can survive, as long as you're careful!

8. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

For a windy:

So long as you can get to lvl 24 (i think) without any problems, you'll do fine. Before that, if you plan on synergies, you're skills won't kill anything. Twisters do so little damage that killing with them just won't get you far.

However, once you get to lvl 24 for tornada, you'll easily reach lvl 30 with ancients quest and baal runs. The rest of the game will pretty easy. If you put all your points into dmg synergies for Hurricane, you'll be killing anything in your hurricane's path even at lvl 1 hurricane. Kinda cheap, but really effective, i might add.

9. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

for a first char, i like a barb. good life makes up for a lot of mistakes, and believe me, you'll make a lot at first. i started with a throw barb and got him through hell without dieing as my first ever hc char (this was 1.09, but still). No matter how dumb I was, I just couldn't get a ranged attacker with 3k life killed... :D

10. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

I tried an untwinked pally...he was doing NM no problem using level 1 redemption as an aura o_O
    Then along came a CE/FE and I tried to run but an already cast hammer popped him.

Edit:
    And no, I'm not about to flux when I'm at full health and there's one monster on the screen, regardless of how sure I am it's going to kill me...

11. whathappen

whathappen IncGamers Member

Trap assasin, max shadow master, lighting trap, Death Sentry, get a cold merc. Yes, you'll have problems with lighting inmunes, but death sentry helps a lot once oyu get one corpse. This is as safe as it gets. You can scout ahead with the traps, you have a good tank (shadow master).

Summoner necro. max skeletons, skeleton mastery, put points into golem. very safe.

Summon druid. Again you'll run into trouble with Physical inmunes but this are just 10% of the mobs in hell. Summon druid is another super safe build specially if you max Oak Sage.

I wouldn't go for sorc or melee characters first.

12. MoUsE_WiZ

Sorc is doable now that all the lower end stuff is easily traded for with perf gems. Not so much with the melee. Javazons are another good choice, as you can do E/S/P quickly with 75% block and 50-60% passive dodging skills without any gear other than a stack of javelins. You'll also end up being a popular sort of person on the baal runs, everyone likes the javazons sitting in the throne.

But yeah, lightning trapper and summoning necro are probably the surest things.

13. grauengel

grauengel IncGamers Member

max warmth, 17 tk, 10+ es, get mana charms and life charms, max block ,max resist, put points into blizz. this = safe as fook + can mf with ease.

14. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

Choose an elemental paladin build if you like melee characters. Its not as equipment dependant as a Barbarian (needs physical) or a kicksin (nears good gear, esp. Tail which needs good boots).

Frost Zealot (holy freeze) or a Tesladin (holy shock) both work great even with mostly junk gear.

You could also go for a Fireclaws werebear... the damage comes from the fire and bears have a boatload of life.

Guides for all of these are available on this lovely site!

15. durph

durph IncGamers Member

summoner necro is by far (in my opinion) the best starter. when you get your skills up high enough you can litterally run naked through the game. as such you can use massive mf and run the pits in hell easily or other nice places to find stuff i.e. river of flame etc. and if you can get ahold of trang's set and good merc equipment, you are a God. period.

16. hc_ugajeremy

hc_ugajeremy IncGamers Member

14 replies and no response :lol:

i hope he's not making all these characters at once

17. Hex

Hex IncGamers Member

Something that you can sit back and be safe. Light trapper, summoner, hydra sorc, or a javazon are good starters. My necro is 61 and found his first godly drop from norm baal for mf. Waterwalks with +61 life. Godly 77 mf :drink:

18. Bearcub

Bearcub IncGamers Member

I like trapper over necro for one reason. Necros are safe and sure but they kill so much slower than my trapper. On the other hand ill fifth the notion that any character one enjoys makes the best starter.

19. MoUsE_WiZ

Eh...necros kill plenty fast.
    I played a trapper with 10K traps, 4K HF merc w/ high % DS, not to mention 200% dmg to UD (Most LIs are undead in the popular areas), and that's while maintaining numbers like 75/85/75/75 resists 2K+ life 50% DR and high FHR. She did many things fast, but for places like the pit, CS, or walking to baal, I'd be going slower than a good CS necro. I walked to baal a few times with Xey's necro and he did a LARGE portion of the killing there =/