Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best "Budget" Uber-Whacking Smiter Weapon

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by UberB, Apr 16, 2008.

1. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Best "Budget" Uber-Whacking Smiter Weapon

I don't normally do trist running by myself that often but I like to help my friend to do ubers. I used to use Grief pb but I'm transporting that over for pvp. So now I need a new weapon. My friend uses a double shael +3 skills Heaven's Light, they seem to be very popular. I'm wondering which would be the most "effective" budget uber whacking smiter weapon? Should I focus on CB or +dmg? My main concern is do I leech enough with a low-damage, high CB weapon (hey, coming from Grief, it's hard..:azn:)? I'm thinking about Heaven's Light, Redeemer, Astreon's or Stormlash. Maybe even a Death phase blade so I don't have to repair. Which would be the best? Or are they all good? Is there a difference in speed?

2. Addict

Addict IncGamers Member

Re: Best "Budget" Uber-Whacking Smiter Weapon

Well the first thing you have to admit is that NONE of those weapons will let leach as much as grief. No matter what you pick its a downgrade.

That being said, any of those should be sufficient. I'm going to assume that you have a gface/gores/dracs for tap & 50%cb. I'm also going to assume that you're using a HoZ or Exile in an elite shield, so you'll at least have some smite dmg from the shield. With those assumptions, all you need from the weapon is enough ias to hit the last smite bp.

Assuming a lvl 20 fanat, you'll need these ias amounts to hit the last bp:
    Heaven's Light - 54% IAS (you can get 40 on weapon)
    Redeemer - 54% IAS (none on weapon...20 with larzuk quest)
    Astreon's - 35% IAS (10 on weapon...20 more larzuk quest)
    Stormlash - 35% IAS (30 on weapon...20 more larzuk quest)

So if you can't get IAS anywhere else I'd choose the stormlash w/a IAS jewel.
    If you have Nos Coil (10IAS) I'd go w/IAS jewel Astreons.
    If you can put a 15IAS jewel in one of your armor slots then go with heaven's light.

The redeemer is likely a little too slow to be 'the most effective' but deciding among the other three would probably be splitting hairs. Pick the one that fits into your current gear the best.

As for the death, i don't know much about it but a pb needs 8IAS to reach the last bp (with a 20 fanat)

3. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Heaven's Light is pretty cheap. Get one with two sockets, Shael it, and you've got an uber paladin weapon.

I got to watch two paladins kill the ubers. One had Grief, the other a Heaven's Light +95%CB setup. Neither were faster than the other. I'd rather save the Grief for some other cool build anyways.

4. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

I use an upp'ed hoz, Guil Face, Highlords, Dracul's and Gores. The indestructibility of the grief pb seems really nice to me so I think I'll go with a Death even though they're kinda expensive. War spike looks good because if you go w/ Death pb, you get pitiful zeal damage which sucks because I like to zeal the minions after the boss is dead. War spike needs 40 IAS right? So 20 from highlords, 15 from IAS jewel in helm, and 10 from Nosferatu's I guess. (I don't want to give up Dracul's because Exile < HOZ).

5. Zelator

Zelator IncGamers Member

Black runeword FTW

6. ToeBasher

ToeBasher IncGamers Member

don't forget about lastwish.. expensive tho

7. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

OK, I moved a Stormlash off of one of my mules and gave it a try. I was very disappointed. The zeal damage was just so low (I'm not expecting a Grief, but it was very slow killing stuff) and I only had about 5k AR, which led a 50% chance to hit. So how can I get my AR up? My gear is all standard stuff - Guil Face, Duress, Uped Hoz, Dracul's, Verdungo's, Raven, Manald (still wearing that LOL, I had forgotten), Gores, Highlords. I have a couple of lifers and a 100 AR GC. I maxed Zeal, Sacrifice, Fanat and Holy shield. Should I use angelics for AR? Astreon's is starting to look very nice (huge AR boost), as well as Heaven's Light and Redeemer (-target defese). Heck, even Death would be good with it's 20% AR boost, I'd go straight to 6k.

8. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia IncGamers Member

What level are you, and what was the area level you were playing? Your chance to hit also depends on the difference in level between your character and the monster.

For more AR you can go with Angelics, or switch Highlords for Metalgrid.

9. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

I am level 89. My zealot is more of a pure smiter now, and he only adventures in Tristram, Matron's Den, Forgotten Sands and the Furnace of Pain. Level 84 areas I believe. Highlords is a no-go because I need the 20 IAS it offers. But that means I can't go with Angelics either, darn it. I just found another AR charm in CS, so I'll use that and dual Ravens then. But is it normal for Zealots to suffer from these AR issues? I've spent 40 points on skills that increase my AR (Fana, Zeal).

10. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

How is that "budget" in any way? It's the most expensive Uber weapon you can actually think of :rolleyes: I know it's good, but this thread's for discussing cheaper choices.

This is typical. Most Zealots use some kind of ITD or -% defense, and if you don't have either, you must pack AR.

11. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

Astreon's has always been my second-favourite Smiter weapon.

12. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Perhaps, but it's rather weak for Zeal IMO. I think I'll go with an eDeath war spike which gives a good zeal damage and 100% CB. Since Death + Guil + Gores = 100% CB, Duress can change into something else, preferably with +AR first (Blessed Aim aura, +AR, -target defense, etc) and resists as a second priority. I don't have the funds for a Fortitude. Maybe Griswold's armor with 3 x pdiamonds? That would give 300 AR.

13. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

If you can afford Death (which costs 1.5 HR's to make), you are better off with a Grief BA or PB, which is a bit cheaper (1.25 HR's to make, I assume Mal = 0.5 Ist = 0.25 HR), and is much better suited for Zealot and Smiter likewise.