Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best bow when lacking HR's or a WF?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Lord_Vega, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega IncGamers Site Pal

Best bow when lacking HR's or a WF?

Morning, Good people of the SPF!

Been a while since I've troubled my old brain with D2, but all this talk and shiny new videos of D3 has really ingnited the spark again, and after having built a lvl 82 Meteorber and a level 90 LF zon (and acquiring a good item base in the proccess), I suddently felt the need to re-build my alltime favorite build, the elusive, oh-so-schneksy-bowazon! :scratchchin:

Seeing as my days with a faith PvP zon or WF PvM zon are long gone, I am sitting here wondering what would be my best bet for a decent Pitrunner? I've got an Eaglehorn, a WWS and a Buriza.
    Read a few reports here claimin the upped Buritto cannon is actually superior to the upped WWS, and the Eaglehorn is an old favorite from the good old days, so... what's an old fella to do here?

Thanks for your input, and great seeing the SPF still thriving after 10 years of existance! rock on, SPF'ers! :alright:

2. Juicy Cheese

Juicy Cheese IncGamers Member

Re: Best bow when lacking HR's or a WF?

I'd go for the WWS if you can up it, otherwise I'd be tempted to go with the Buritto. The massive deadly strike and amp that comes with WWS is too good to pass up, but the damage just won't cut it if it isn't upped in my opinion.

3. bcoe

bcoe IncGamers Member

A successful build can be made with any of them, but my choice by far would be the upped WWS. The damage is sneaky-good, with the massive DS making it very nice, and making it unnecessary to invest in critical strike. The sockets allow for some customization, and the resists are always welcome...

4. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

WWS doesn't even need to be upped. It's pretty good off the shelf. Because it does magic damage, rather than physical, it doesn't run into as many resistances. Its amp damage is just icing.

5. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Buriza does the most damage, followed by Eaglehorn. Upped WWS is behind these two unless you use Ohms or really good jewels in the sockets.

WWS does save points from Critical, but Buriza doesn't require points in Pierce and Eaglehorn requires less from Penetrate with ITD and +AR/lvl.

With a high investment in dex an upped Buriza would even be considerably better than normal one.

6. Frowzor

Frowzor IncGamers Member

I suggest you take a look at this thread:

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767636

The numbers are all optimized for a strafer in the pits (for resistances vs. Harmony and such) but there's a lot of good data there that should be applicable to most areas.

7. Lord_Vega

Thanks all, good advice all around!

Frowzor, that exact thread is what agot me wondering whether I should opt for the upped buritto canon in the first place, otherwise I would have gone for the upped WWS without a second thought.

I guess an upped buriza it is, until a golden hydra bow decides to drop :)

8. CorruptedMollusk

CorruptedMollusk IncGamers Member

I've made a strafer during after my recent restart, and after a couple of dozen Countess runs, I had the runes for Harmony and Treachery. While its not the fastest strafe speed you can get, everything falls down to it(so long as the merc doesn't take a wander off to stare at rocks or walls) and holds monsters off me. WWS is definitely faster, but having made both, I personally vouch for Harmony as the better all around bow(Amp is nice, but not totally reliable, and nothing is immune to Harmony.) Mine is made in a Matriarchal Bow, which was much harder to come up with than the runes, but I was willing to forgive the extra damage for the speed (and a couple of +skills). Any other -10 speed bow should be fine(Blade Bow, for example).

9. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

The magic damage off WWS won't work on Strafe, Guided Arrow or Multishot. Normal attack only. (Which is OK for killing a few PIs, but not a good idea to rely on it.)

--Greebo

10. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Don't be a sissy. Eaglehorn has mad style points.

11. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

Aside from WWS, I've got good use from two bows in the past:

1. Riphook - fast, slows enemies down, has life leech, available from low level (31), Hell-viable when upped. This was my Strafer's bow until I found my Windy.

2. Goldstrike Arch - decent damage, additional damage to both undead and demons, fast, decent AR boost. An upped one of these was my (late) HC strafer's bow. Definitely Hell-viable. The only drawback is the ctc FoH, which suffers from the usual treacle-like Amazon cast rate and can be an annoying interruption at times.

12. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

harmony is my go-to bow after faith/wf. check this thread out too. it's a break down of every runeword for a bow.

13. Lord_Vega

BINGO!

that Harmony runeword sure looks sweet until the unevitable WF and Faith decide to come along, hehehe...

any bows I should be looking for cowing that are best optimized for a strafer? I guess a GMB is out of the question, do we neccessarily speak of a Hydra then, or maybe something quicker?

Thanks for the replies again, and dash, you old bastard... don't you EVER leave this place?! GREAT seeing you still around, you old fart *manly hug*

14. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

my favorite non-zon bases are shadow and blade. lots of people like great bow for mercs, but i think the str req is too high for a character to use. high dex req is fine since you'll most likely be putting extra in anyway.

for zon bows i go with this tenant: GMB for faith, everything else goes in a Mat.

ps. note that great bow and blade bow will get 4os from larz, they also drop like flies so are easy to find in hell.

15. Lord_Vega

Thanks for the tips there, cdm!
    Funny thing is as I was cowing now trying to find a suitable bow for socketing, I finally stumbled upon my very first post 1.13c high rune, an OHM! That basically means I'm "only" one JAH away from FAITH already.. madness! :crazyeyes:

16. Pär

Pär IncGamers Member

This guy looks legit.

17. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Max Damage and AR by level, +25 Dex, +1 Zon Skills, Ignore Target Defense.

Seems legit enough to me. Don't need to worry about attack rating, really, until it comes to Champ/Unique monsters, and even then you have some scaling AR to help you out. Which if I recall would be multiplied by bonuses from things like Penetrate?

Although I suppose it is just the pit. Early hell so maybe not much AR would be needed.

Oh wait, that means this bow is good still. m i rite?

18. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Harmony is in fact very underrated (!!)Does about as much damage as eaglehorn, but has the "hidden" bonus of vigor, the frw bonus makes everything faster, like a global performance multiplier! And of course extremely low level req, so it has "workhorse" written all over it

19. Zhao_Yue

Zhao_Yue IncGamers Member

You know old buddy, the old PvP days don't have to be over. You just need a little faith and you might be able to caress precious again. It's still got some blood stains on it from numerous skirmishes in the Moor, but it's still in good working condition. :whistling:

20. Lord_Vega

My goodness, Zhao, you're still alive, old friend! ;)
    My recollection of exactly how things ended back in the day (was it like 2007 or so?) is quite blurry, but I do believe you've notched a few scalps on your belt with that beauty... god knows all those hours of forge rushing sure were fun, at times.. :p

how's you doing now days? I actually still have Darren wolfie on facebook, and we're all planning to get out of retirement for the marvelous rebirth of the biggest time-sucking-game ever... hope life's been good to you :)

No luck so far with that JAH, but that OHM in my stash is waitin patiently... would be nice putting together some GRIEF's, FORTITUDES, ENIGMA's and FAITH'S in thise 1.13c world, before June 29th 2011 is here ;)