Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

best base weapon for ebotd polearm

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Millipede, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Millipede

Millipede IncGamers Member

best base weapon for ebotd polearm

i have a 6 socket eth giant thresher and was thinking of making botd with it. but all i ever here about is botd warpikes. should i hold out until i get one of those instead? giant thresher is faster but the warpike does more damage... im planning on making a concentrate barb with it.

with the GT i can hit the last breakpoint possible with the weapon alone. and with the warpike i'd need an extra 90 ias. which makes my gear selection more limited. something i dont like the idea of.

2. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf IncGamers Member

Re: best base weapon for ebotd polearm

Great Poleaxe
    Ghost spear

These are good weapons..... Basically any Elite pole/Spear that hits the 4 Frame whirlwind breakpoint unless you want listed damage then go with Warpike but the other weapons are likely to have higher undisplayed damage.

Personally Id go with Ghost spear.

3. whyhack

whyhack Banned

Why would you use anything but a zerker for a botd? unless its for a merc

4. RealmOftheWolf

Because he might be making it for pvm and a shield isnt needed? More damage and a larger range not to mention a much higher style point for not following the crowd.

Then the most obvious question.

Why not?

5. whyhack

whyhack Banned

because its worthless.. if he wants to make another character and trade his botd away no one will want it. just put it on a merc dont use it yourself
    and to get more damage just go ebotz and beast = style points for bear form and more dmg

6. RealmOftheWolf

I had no problem trading mine away granted a lower price than the usual EBOTD but it was traded in and out within 10 mins in pubbys. Ive used both the set ups and see very little difference.

I say hurray for not following the crowd....

One mans trash is another mans gold........

Oh and - Style points for being just like everyone else...

He can mule it over as its a very effective merc weapon so it wont be wasted if he gets bored with the guy.

To end with,

Its a that thresher would be good candidate for BOTD if you want to spend it.

7. vknez

vknez IncGamers Member

dont listen to whyhack. aim for great pole axe, which is usefull also for werewolves (cheaper alternative for eth 3 sox tomb).
    i sold mine 39x ed for value of around 12-13 hrs

8. Millipede

well... i went with the giant thresher.... i got almost the lowest roll possible (357 ed) at least it swings fast :weep:

9. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

For a barb using a ebotd polearm go for great poleaxe as vknez was just saying.

10. Goths

Goths IncGamers Member

Damn shame you are on the wrong side of the roll. Haha i know the feeling about have a good item to make a rw in, but then get adviced to do something else =/. However i am going to not make my Oath (ok not comparable with zod / vex but ) in a small cresent and walk around with cool axes but make it in a eth cryptic + phase LB. whooo +)

Ow one thing about polearm, no Frenzy =? haha

11. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

At least with Hr's being what they are on Eu L it will be a long while before my "usual" eBOTD GPA Titan barb gets reborn again for the nth ladder in a row :D.

Can't remember why i always make them in a GPA, i just know i do :D

12. Millipede

for now i gave it to my GF barbarian merc until i level up my other barb. and omfg it is awesome. the council dies in like 30 seconds.. :cloud9: the council has been dropping runes like crazy anyways so i might as well have just made it specifically for him. ive gotten 3 ber, 2 sur and a Lo rune from them in just the past month. unbelievable!

13. Elyxthaxzus

Elyxthaxzus IncGamers Member

good to hear your enjoying your poley! BotD in any Elite polearm is a sick killing weapon for PvM. not only will your merc kill well with it, but your barb will look rockin with the grim reaper look :D don't forget its str and dex requirements when you build your guy...the dex can throw folks off at first. and for future reference, remember that there's enough IAS in the RW to put any polearm to the last WW breakpoint, so the base speed of the poley isn't crucial when it comes to BotD.

Oh ya, also food for later thought...ghost spear has best damage potential with BotD, but has very high dex requirements, pulling away from your strength and vitality. Great Poleaxe is very close, and has far lower total stat requirements, leaving you more playroom in that regard. so IMO GP is the best choice for poleys. looks bada$$ too

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  14. RealmOftheWolf

Actually thats incorrect since It wont put max ww speed on a CV or CA for example :p

15. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Actually GPA and ghost spear have exactly the same average damage, and the GPA is superior for having a lower max damage :>

16. Elyxthaxzus

Elyxthaxzus IncGamers Member

thanks for pointing that out wolf, hadn't thought about it then had to go back and look.

For the OP: last WW BP for 2h (except sword) is -59, BotD has -60, so anything with weapon base speed of 0 ore lower works, CA and CV have 10 so they won't hit that BP. But they can't get 6 sockets either, so I guess its a moot point. probably best to say that the out of the polearms that you can make BotD with (all 2 of em), they both hit last WW BP.

17. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

As mentioned before, gpa tends to be the best choice for ebotd pole barb.
    Firstly, there seems to be no difference between spear and pole mechanics, average damage within the same base speed group is the same too, and barb's mastery works the same way for spears and poles. However, spears have the higher DEX reqs while poles stand for STR mostly.
    1. ebotd consists of 6 runes.
    -> 6 sockets pole/spear. (great poleaxe, great thresher, ghost spear, war pike)
    2. Last ww bp is 59% and ebotd atk spd bonus is 60%.
    -> Base speed 0 or lower. (same but war pike, while 20% dmg bonus compared to gpa/ghost spear is fine, it won't even beat the 4->6 frame bp miss).
    3. No breakpoints past 60%.
    -> No difference between base speed of 0 or -10. (same but giant thresher, 10% dmg loss compared to the rest with the same speed).
    4. No shield with pole/spear and it uses STR as a dmg bonus.
    -> The lowest DEX req wins. (89 for egpa VS 153 for egs)

While gpa and ghost spear have the same average base damage (which must result in the same total damage), some mods like +%max damage could change the picture. Anyway, as I remember, barbs have 25 base dex, so 25+30 (ebotd)+15 (average t)+15 (average anni) should be enough (provided you have some +str rings/amus for initial "wearing") for not investing in DEX at all.