Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best base for "Exile" "CoH"

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Nesjan, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Nesjan

Nesjan Diabloii.Net Member

I have a 45 all resist Royal Shield with 165 defense, is this considered a good base or should i be looking for that uber rare 4 socket Eth, 45 All Resist, with some attack rating, ed or something.

I also have a 495 Archon Plate, is there something better for CoH?

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Regarding Exile (and any paladin shield), it's either a sacred targe for the biggest base blocking and the lowest strength req or a vortex shield for the highest defense and the most balanced smite damage (in case it's important). The level req is probably irrelevant. I would go for a sacred targe, even if my paladin had enough strength for a vortex shield.

I would use that nice royal shield for a runeword with a lower level req, like Spirit. You could also take the risk and apply the socketing recipe. If it receives one socket, it's worthless. If it gets two, you could make Rhyme (with awesome resists). With three, it's Sanctuary (with a sick amount of resists).

I think an archon plate is the best choice if your character meets its strength req anyway, it's the best light armor available. CoH involves a high rune and my rule of thumb about archon plates is that it has to have at least 500 defense for such a purpose. 495 is probably fine as well.

3. necrolemming

necrolemming Diabloii.Net Member

Vortex Shield has the least balanced smite damage. Are you thinking of something else?

Any build using an Exile is going to actually care about defense; I'd hold out for a better base.

4. Uthanak

Uthanak Diabloii.Net Member

I hear that a lot about sacred targe/rondache. One time I found a forum post while reading on the subject and someone was showing math calc that said there is little difference between each elite paladin shield base for Exile. Reasoning was that since you will eth bug it and apparently eth lowers requirement by 10% and with the sanctuary aura, the base defense actually turns out to be quite a lot. He calculated how to convert it into effective HP and the formula showed that there is minor differences between each shield.

The extra dexterity for block also adds defense if I recall correctly. I think he ended up saying Zakarum shield might be the best for the average smite damage. I wish I could find that post again.

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Whoops, I mixed that up.

6. Uthanak

Okay I just did some quick research and my reasoning was the following: Since I use a guillaume's face with 15% IAS jewel, and it needs 115str ad it gives +15str, I have default 130str on my build. Ethereal is -10 to requirements, so a Zakarum shield ends up costing 132str. For 2 point extra into str Id rather have the consistant smite damage and the extra armor which turns up into Effective HP anyway. I'll end up spending an extra 16 on dexterity for max block but it's not entirely wasted, you get defense and AR.

7. necrolemming

necrolemming Diabloii.Net Member

Is this "consistent smite damage" thing a meme, by the way? What's its relevance when Smite's primary purpose is as a way of delivering crushing blow?
    (Also, while it's not pertinent to the OP since he's not using RWM, shield base smite damage represents something like 10% of the total damage when using Grief, so a bit of extra range there has about zero impact.)

With that being said, if you can find a high defense base of a higher elite paladin shield and successfully ebug it, go for it; those things don't exactly drop on trees.

8. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

You'll be using Grief RW for smiting, which makes for very consistent damage regardless of shield. Go for the biggest defense, biggest automod you can get your hands on. I've seen ebug vortex shields reach 500+ base defense.

9. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Use The Redeemer if you are Vanilla.

Sacred Targe for me, but that is mainly because of PvP (Even though Life Tap is banned under the rules these days). Better blocking = less Dext, more life.

But Ohm is fairly cheap these days, go for whatever you want. You will find several Ohms before you get a 40+ resist ethereal elite Paladin shield.

10. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Your latter statement is one which makes me so sad.

11. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

In what way @Kitteh? How cheap runes are or the rarity of a decent base?

12. Kitteh

Neither one nor the other, but rather that the base is rarer than the runes :p If I had to choose, I would increase how rare the rune is rather than reduce the base. Since I mostly play characters through the game now, the rune rarity isn't as big a bug because I'm not farming them, but I do miss that 'Holy crap' feeling when a high rune drops pre 1.13. Yet, I still get that when a truly nice base drops. I guess what makes me sad is that the high runes are basically easy now, I'd much rather they retained the status that a beautiful base has.

zoo and DiabloTwoinDC like this.
  13. Uthanak

That's you, tho. I like having to play less time to obtain my end gear :p

TopHatCat64 and Kitteh like this.
  14. Nesjan

I must say i never did play seriously pre 1.13 so i don't know how hard it was to obtain a high rune. For me it seems still quite rare to find one on 1.14 but i geuss not like before. With all the ladder only runewords i think they definitely should have kept the high runes on a extremely rare level, most Ladder runewords are better than all of the uniques and sets IMO

15. Kitteh

I think the good thing about the increased drop rates is that people are making/using runewords which they wouldn't before, because they weren't worth the investment, where as now it's easy - relative to pre-1.13 of course.

16. Nesjan

yep i have all the runes i need for these two words, just looking for bases. The two i mentioned in my original post are the best i have found.