Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

best barbarian build for mfing meph

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by stickyfingers, Mar 8, 2004.

1. stickyfingers

stickyfingers IncGamers Member

best barbarian build for mfing meph

hey guys just wanna see your thought on the best barb build for tanking and mfing meph and why u think its a viable build ?

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Depends on your Meph-running style. Do you want a teleport ammy so you can skip all the Council guys and head straight over to the big dude? Then pretty much any build with Laying of Hands, Conc/Berserk, and a hurty weapon is great. Do you clean up Durance 3 to see what the other guys drop? You want Whirlwind to deal with the packs of monsters you go through on the way to the boss, then.

3. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

I'm building my first Barb currently, for the specific purpose of eventually running Hell Pit and occasionally Baal. I'm going Whirlwind, although I find I use Concentrate most. Obviously, you want to max out Find Item as well (which reduces your combat options, but with good equipment, you should still be OK)

4. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

well, find item of course has no effect on meph or any of the act bosses, but for a good general MF barb, you would certainly want some find item. i like my frenzy barb for running meph... if you smack around the first few monsters you see on the map, then you can get to and kill meph very quickly. get a might merc to help out your damage. an IK barb with berzerk, WW, or concentrate would probably do quite well also.

5. Sharakorr

Sharakorr Banned

I think frenzy barb is pretty good for mfing meph, but i haven't tried concentrate so i can't say really...Is meph really worth the time to walk there and stuff if you don't have tele charges or enigma armor?

6. motormaniac5

motormaniac5 IncGamers Member

a frenzy barb would probably do very well on meph because you want to get to meph FAST... just charge up frenzy and start running, when you get to durance3, leap attack across the moat and skip council. don't quote me on this though, i haven't tried it and i don't know for sure if a frenzy barb could take hell meph solo heh

7. whomhead

a frenzy barb can definitely take hell meph solo... he was my first MFer in 1.10.

8. farting bob

farting bob Banned

all melee chars have a disadvanteg in that htey are all heavily item dependant, and so MF is often secondry to dmg, def or res, deending on the item it is. in sorcs, fishy's, LFzons and hammerdins, they need less items, just good res and ok def, so MF can become re important that 30 extra dmg.

9. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

the only barb i have experience from in 1.10 is my IK barb (conc /ww) and he have no probs running meph :)

10. i_marsolek

i_marsolek IncGamers Member

I use a zerker right now, but I would suggest using a concentrate barb if your only intention is to run meph. I also suggest a wand with life tap charges on it-- you should fill your bulb with every hit.

11. Seymour_Fluxx

Seymour_Fluxx IncGamers Member

The best Mephy runner would be a Frenzy Barb. He's fast and imagine 2 full isted ali babaas, add WarTravs and a Gheed's and you've got 200+ mf already

12. motormaniac5

seymour, 200+ MF doesn't even compare to the 500+ MF that sorcs can get, i believe necros can get that too, but i don't like them for meph runs. Not saying that frenzy barbs aren't good at meph runs, just not the best, sorcs can get there faster as well.

13. whomhead

at lvl 85, a barb can wear:
    2X 'istist' ali baba = 290
    skullders Ire (Ptopaz) = 130
    Harlequin Crest or Stealskull = 74
    war travs = 50
    Goldwrap = 30
    Nagelring = 30

=> total of 604% MF and can still kill VERY quickly... and that doesn't count stuff in the stash. its easy to get an extra 100% with Gheed's and charms. in addition, for pindle running you get the hork, so each time you kill him can count twice. pretty hard to beat.

14. motormaniac5

alright, whomhead, you proved me wrong, barbs can get more MF

15. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

So, how fast it is possible to do Meph run with this gear (game loading times, running, all included)?

I can do p3 hell Meph run with Meteorb sorc in under 1 min and with ~500% MF. After diminishing returns the difference between ~600% and ~500% MF is ~10% for uniques and ~20% for sets so 100% more MF will not have significant effect

16. whomhead

well, if you switch the helm for a Guillame's face (35% CB, socketed with PTopaz) and the boots for Gore Riders (15% CB) you will still have 500% MF without any charms and you can do a full Meph run with load and everything in under 1.5 minutes. you can also equip him with dual 'ShaelShealEthEthEthEth' Phase Blades for an almost garaunteed chance to hit. killing meph takes almost no time when you are attacking that fast and have a 50% chance of crushing blow. the longest bit is getting to meph and re-stocking on potions in town. clearly a sorc will be faster to get to meph because of teleport, but if you should be fortunate enough to have enigma (or an amulet with teleport charges), then the barb is probably a few (10-20) seconds longer per run than a sorc.

17. SnakeEye85

switch the skullders(pt) for a enigma and you don´t have to run so much :)

18. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

But not many have Enigma in their stash ;)

Spellsteel, Naj's Puzzler or ammy with tp charges are good options if teleport is really needed and they all are much easier to get than Enigma

19. anonymite

anonymite IncGamers Member

Since you can't leach mana from Meph, going from 1.09 where my WW barb could smack Meph with a Doombringer and a Manald Heal and not much else, to 1.10 was a pain. If you use WW, have a lot of blue potions handy- I'd have to go through 5-6 on a typical run. If you're going to build from scratch for Meph runs, focus on Frenzy and invest heavily in crushing blow.

20. SnakeEye85

i know :uhhuh: