Best band of the 90's?

CaptJoe213

Diabloii.Net Member
oh guys, cmon, you ALL KNOW that the absolute best group in the 90's was none other than.....

Color Me Bad!!!

I adore mi amore....

*runs and hides from the angry mob*

Painman

Diabloii.Net Member
CaptJoe213 said:
oh guys, cmon, you ALL KNOW that the absolute best group in the 90's was none other than.....

Color Me Bad!!!

I adore mi amore....

*runs and hides from the angry mob*
It was "Color Me Badd"...

*slaps CaptJoe with a 60 lb Unix manual*

CaptJoe213

Diabloii.Net Member
I deserve a beatin for forgetting the last 'd' lol

I withdraw CMB, and hereby declare the greatest band of the 90's to be the Divinyls!

Hot chick singing "I touch myself" what could be better? lol

Diminished

Diabloii.Net Member
Radiohead hands down.

Nirvana did do a good job of making hair bands look like idiots though...which was good for everybody.

Garth Brooks should be considered though. His albums are the only country music that I have in my collection...and there's a reason.

Dredd

D3 Off Topic Moderator
Diminished said:
Garth Brooks should be considered though. His albums are the only country music that I have in my collection...and there's a reason.
Garth Brooks is the KISS of country music. I can't stand either.

The 90s was a great decade for country music in the commerical sense, but artistically it was barren.

NIRVANA

Diabloii.Net Member
SuggestiveName said:
(Also: bands like the pixies, meat puppets, sonic youth, and dinosaur jr pioneered the sound of alternative/grunge, but Nirvana popularized it.)
tis true...all those bands also helped influence Nirvana to sound the way they did.

faultless wonderboy

Diabloii.Net Member
If I remember correctly it wasnt just Nirvana that brought Grunge and the Seattle sound. It was also Soundgarden, AIC and Pearl Jam. Personally, I was never to enthralled with Nirvana, I much preferred soundgarden and AIC. As for most influential, Id say:

Soundgarden

Smashing Pumpkins

Nirvana

vdzele

Diabloii.Net Member
These are the groups/artists that I have listened during the 90’s:

COUNTING CROWS
GARBAGE
GRANT LEE BUFFALO
LENNY KRAVITZ
MANIC STREET PREACHERS
OASIS (first LP was a crossroad for the world’s guitar music)
PEARL JAM
R.E.M.
RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS
SOUNDGARDEN
THE BLACK CROWS
THE CRANBERRIES (first LP only)
THE JAYHAWKS
THE STONE ROSES
THE WALLFLOWERS
TONIC
U2
ALANIS MORISSETTE
ALICE IN CHAINS
LEMONHEADS
MAZZY STAR
MORPHINE
P.J. HARVEY
PRIMAL SCREAM
RADIOHEAD
SHERYL CROW
SMASHING PUMPKINS
TEENAGE FANCLUB
TEXAS
THE ROLLING STONES
THE VERVE
DEPECHE MODE
FOO FIGHTERS
INSPIRAL CARPETS
JAMES
LIVE
MORRISSEY
NEW ORDER
OCEAN COLOUR SCENE
SONIC YOUTH
THE BEAUTIFUL SOUTH
THE CARDIGANS
DINOSAUR JR
ELASTICA
FAITH NO MORE
FILTER
NINE INCH NAILS
SONIC YOUTH
STONE TEMPLE PILOTS
SUEDE
THE CHARLATANS (these guys were perfect)
PLACEBO
THE SEAHORSES
BEAUTIFUL SOUTH
BELLY
JESUS & MARY CHAIN
PAUL WELLER
GUN (2 songs band)
JEFF BUCKLEY (to bad for this young and great singer)
SIMPLE MINDS
BEASTIE BOYS
BREEDERS
METALLICA
MINISTRY (who would believe me that after reading the list so far I say I have all of their LP’s)
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE (yeah the first one was …. Uhhh)
THERAPY
SAINT ETIENNE
NIRVANA

And MANY more. I also listen and like: soul, funk, house (these couple of years I am mostly in Soulful house), drum n bass, chill/ambient, lounge … I used to like rap till’ mid of the 90’s after that personally I think there is barely something worth. Don’t like: punk based tunes /sounds, reggae, Europe’s dance music (especially German and Scandinavian vibe), any kind of trance, hard techno and folk (any kind of folk sound, except for American folk sound that is incorporated in some the bands listed from above)

Sorry for any spell mistakes :innocent:

PS:my favorite===> FOO FIGHTERS (much better then Nirvana) and THE CHARLATANS

Drosselmeier

Diabloii.Net Member
vdzele said:
OMFG!

Another Belly fan
:clap:

I´d like to say that the Pixies is the best 90´s band, but they´re really more of an eighties band in my opinion. The same goes for The Stone Roses.

If you count influence, quality and all those other things... in no particular order:
Smashing Pumpkins
Rage
Nirvana
Suede (did a lot more for Brit-pop than radiohead)

Really original and good bands that never hit the bigtime:
Spectrum
My Bloody Valentine
Slint

There are loads and loads of bands that fall somewhere inbetween those two categories.

vdzele

Diabloii.Net Member
Drosselmeier said:
OMFG!

Another Belly fan
:clap:

I´d like to say that the Pixies is the best 90´s band, but they´re really more of an eighties band in my opinion. The same goes for The Stone Roses.

If you count influence, quality and all those other things... in no particular order:
Smashing Pumpkins
Rage
Nirvana
Suede (did a lot more for Brit-pop than radiohead)
OMFG from me also, how could I forget Pixies (could be cuz my overloaded brain had memory error,while I searched through my cells :scratch: ... uhh sorry)

And yeah ECHOBELLY,while we are talking about xxxbelly (dark therapy my fav.song)

If you can believe me most of the guitar music could remain "SUB",but the first LP of OASIS "broke the ice" for all of them. Supersonic is more then classic. Last of them is .... Blah :drool:

Intolerance

Diabloii.Net Member
Since early-90's music had a huge impact on my life, I'd like to comment on some bands/albums that I feel strongly about. Warning: Semi-long, opinion-filled, somewhat auto-biographical discertation ahead.

I was just "getting into" music when Nirvana broke in late 1991. As a high school sophomore, I was at a point in my life where huge social changes were occuring, being 16 and all. My best friend and I had really began focusing more on artists rather than mainstream radio "hits", starting innocently enough with albums like Nine Inch Nails Pretty Hate Machine, Smashing Pumpkins Gish (easily one of the best rock album of the 90's), Faith No More The Real Thing, Jane's Addiction Ritual de lo Habitual (among others), and then, of course, Nirvana Nevermind. From the first time I saw the video for Smells Like Teen Spirit on Mtv's 120 Minutes, I knew that my life was about to change forever.

Nevermind is, in my opinion, one of the most important rock albums of all time. Although it spoke to and inspired an entire generation, it did so much more for me than words can adequetly convey. Every song touched me on a very personal level. There was nothing that could happen in the course of my day (be it at school or my crappy first job at McDonalds) that a quick dose of Drain You (personal favorite) or On a Plain couldn't instantly remedy. Nirvana quickly became my favorite band. Bleach was an immediate acquisition, and the fact that it was on the record label Sub-Pop led me to randomly buying other Sub-Pop bands (and "accidentally" discovering a few that would remain favs to this day). I can clearly remember the days that Incesticide and In Utero were released- the almost unbearable anticipation and excitement of new material. I also clearly remember seeing Nirvana twice, once in Miami and then the next night in Lakeland. I remember skipping school to drive all over Tampa, hopping from one "alternative record store" to another in search of bootlegs and unreleased stuff. I payed attention to several other bands, of course, but Nirvana always topped the list. I started playing guitar with the sole intention of playing the songs on Nevermind (which didn't take very long at all). I can't imagine how my life would be today if Nevermind had never been released.

But there was a lot of other music happening (at least for me) during the early-90's. Pearl Jam Ten and VS, Tool Undertow (track one, Intolerance, may strike a bell for those paying attention), Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream, Nine Inch Nails Broken, Rage Against the Machine (self titled album), Dinsoaur Jr Where You Been, Afghan Whigs Congregation (random Sub-Pop discovery), Soundgargen Badmotorfinger, Mudhoney Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge, Faith No More Angel Dust, Alice in Chains Dirt, Blind Melon (self titled), and last, but not least, a band that has almost zero mainstream recognotion but has remained one of my favorites to this day: Seaweed (another random Sub-Pop discovery).

****Random rant****
Seaweed is a great band that somehow avoided mainstream popularity. How these guys never made it "big" still boggles my mind. If you like any/all of the music that I listed, then you need to do yourself a favor and check these guys out. Album list: Despised, Weak (my fav), Four, Spanaway, Actions and Indications.

As I progressed through my remaining high school years, my musical tastes stayed about the same. I was going to concerts all the time, and innocently enough, I went to a show where Seaweed was opening for a band I had heard about but never really looked into: Bad Religion. The other opening act was Green Day, fresh on the heels of their at-the-time brand new album, Kerplunk! (random sidenote: I never really got into Green Day). I was completely blown away by Bad Religion. These guys are amazing, and endure as one of my favorite bands.

Since Kurt Cobain's death brought somwhat of an an end to the Nirvana era (at least as far as new releases would go), I found myself shifting away from "generation-X grunge" during the mid-90's. Tool Aenema is probably my favorite post-Nevermind album. I really liked what these guys were doing, and my appreciation for Undertow and Opiate became greater, as one could follow an amazing musical evolution through these three albums. Lateralus has a few very strong songs (the Grudge, Schism, the Patient, Lateralus) that really reinforce my love for Tool, but as an album, I feel that it falls short of Aenema (at least in terms of completeness)

Anyway, if you actually read this far- thank you. I left a lot out to try to keep things sorta short.

Nirvana was good and all, they just couldn't have stuck around long enough to make themselves legends. Kurt Cobain was just too much of a pussy to handle all of his fame and fortune, so he took the easy way out.

BTW, RICKY MARTIN ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!!!!!

Lithium

Diabloii.Net Member
"they just couldn't have stuck around long enough to make themselves legends. "

They ARE legends though. But you can't predict what WOULD have happened if Kurt hadn't died :p

Anyway.

Nirvana
Smashing Pumpkins

That's about it. I'd say Nirvana.

NIRVANA

Diabloii.Net Member
BooblestheDorf said:
Nirvana was good and all, they just couldn't have stuck around long enough to make themselves legends. Kurt Cobain was just too much of a pussy to handle all of his fame and fortune, so he took the easy way out.
Remember, his Heroin addiction had a huge part in it too, not just the fame....

Also, Intolerance, I agree with everything in your post, but I'm wondering if you've heard most of Nirvana's rare stuff.....Most of it is much better than any song on Nevermind in my opinion...

Intolerance

Diabloii.Net Member
NIRVANA said:
Also, Intolerance, I agree with everything in your post, but I'm wondering if you've heard most of Nirvana's rare stuff.....Most of it is much better than any song on Nevermind in my opinion...

I'd venture to say that I've heard it all. Most of my favorite Nirvana songs aren't on Nevermind, and many of the songs on Nevermind aren't even remotely close to making my "all time favorite songs" list, but the album as a whole was a huge influence on me at the time.

If I was to list my 10 favorite Nirvana songs, they'd be (in no particular order):
-Aneurysm
-Aero Zeppelin
-Oh, the Guilt
-Drain You
-School
-Sliver
-Love Buzz
-Serve the Servants
-D-7
-Lounge Act

But ask me again next week and the list would almost definitely be different.

somewhatdamaged99

Diabloii.Net Member
Smashing Pumpkins or Nine Inch Nails

Both original, and whether you like them or not, both extremely gifted artists (Trent Reznor and Billy Corgan)