Best band of the 90's?

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
MagiusTheGrey said:
and i dont think the whole grunge thing would have taken hold at all if Cobain hadnt killed himself.
Were you even around in 1991-1994???!!! That WAS the grunge era, it DID take hold. If Cobain hadn't died I doubt the era would have last very much longer than it did, the public has a short attention span.

(Also: bands like the pixies, meat puppets, sonic youth, and dinosaur jr pioneered the sound of alternative/grunge, but Nirvana popularized it.)

Anakha1

Banned
Nirvana. Hands down, no question.

And Ash, NO DOUBT??? GARBAGE??? I liked both bands but they were hardly all that influential. No Doubt more or less mainstreamed Ska music, but Ska's never been all that big in the first place.

Rage is up there, as is Soundgarden. Tool isn't even close.

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm spurring discussion, plus, if I mention Garbage & No Doubt it makes Rage and Soundgarden look even better, dood, quit noobering around sheesh, but I do like Garbage, and I never liked Nirvana, whatcha gonna do rookie biatch!?

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
DurfBarian said:
Don't forget Neil Young when you're talking about "who made grunge."
Oh man, I'm totally pwnd. You are so correct it hurts me.

oh man the pixies are awesome.
Yes, yes they are. Not to mix threads here, but how Kim Deal's bass playing any better than Mark Hoppus? (I hate to compare these two bands, but admittedly they both have simple bass lines in their songs.)

Anakha1

Banned
Ash Housewares said:
I'm spurring discussion, plus, if I mention Garbage & No Doubt it makes Rage and Soundgarden look even better, dood, quit noobering around sheesh, but I do like Garbage, and I never liked Nirvana, whatcha gonna do rookie biatch!?
*kills Ash*

Painman

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh I'll probably get flamed for saying so, but IMO Nirvana were quite derivative while being quite good at the same time. A lot of what they did had been done before in the underground punk scene of the 80s so I look at Nirvana sort of as a musical idea coming of age - without their 80s "alternative" predecessors laying a foundation I don't think they would have risen to the level of fame that they did. But I'll give credit where it's due - if you can credit any one band with breaking that particular barrier it's probably them.

Other good (mostly) 90s acts... Meat Beat Manifesto, Smashing Pumpkins, RATM.

Savage

Diabloii.Net Member
Tool. They are my favourite band, even though Lateralus doesn't quite make the cutoff.

Second is obviously Nirvana.

Also Pearl Jam, RATM, Peppers.

Xynrx

Diabloii.Net Member
Just to toss some more out there...

Back when I was in grade 6, everyone who was anyone liked Nirvana, Silverchair, and Smashing Pumpkins.

Of course, there was that brief period in '96 when everyone loved ThePresisdentsOfTheUnitedStatesOfAmerica.

... can anyone say 'peaches'?

... no? Ok then...