Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best area for 3s Phase Blade etc? (Frenzybarb)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Pär, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

Best area for 3s Phase Blade etc? (Frenzybarb)

Not feeling the love in The Pit (full clears) at p3 and horking every corpse, looking for a Phase Blade for "Lawbringer". Currently using two swords, so maybe it's the skellies that are slowing me down.

Flayer Dungeon? ...same issue with ranged/skellies
    Arachnid Lair - fewer undead and a superchest iirc
    Lower Kurast is kinda rough at p8 with a "Crescent Moon" sword and an upped Headstriker and 2-piece Iratha's+"Smoke" gear for resists.
    Ancient Tunnels - undead city iirc

Running 0% MF and max killing power/survivability.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. forbidenorc

forbidenorc Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Best area for 3s Phase Blade etc? (Frenzybarb)

According to Silospen's drop calc, best place would be p8 cows with a probability of 1 in 1155. That's where I found my 5os PB to make my grief, only took me about 10 runs.

3. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

Aside from the Moo Moo Farm, I can't think of any area that never has undead. It seems to me like any area with level at least 80 is as good as any other.

You can use GoMule or ATMA to see which enemies have the best chance to drop phase blades.

4. jdkerr

jdkerr Diabloii.Net Member

Hell Cows are best, but I don't think you are that far yet.

Speaking of which, how far are you? Since you are already at The Pits, just forget the Lawbringer for the moment and run there until lvl90 or whatever, since it is a lvl85 area and all kinds of excellent gear (namely, any item in the game) can drop there. Pile on the MF and have fun -- there are no regularly-spawning physical immunes. Your chances of a phase blade with /p3 Pits runs are about 1:2,000 per regular enemy kill and 1:350 per unique enemy kill. Regardless, keep horking those champions and uniques!

If you want to drop back into Nightmare to make things easier, the drop calculator says that only the Forgotten Sands, the Furnace of Pain, and the Matron's Den can drop phase blades (unless I am misreading this), so those would be your choices. Your chances in /p8 runs in those areas are closer to 1:20,000 though. The Pits would be the more lucrative place to run.

5. SnickerSnack

:azn: So....where are the Forgotten Sands et al? How do you get there? :azn:

6. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

Thank you very much for the info, I just found out about the Hell Cows, but yes - I'm doing this to get TO Baal in Hell... don't really care once I've Guardian'd.

I'll check on the NM stuff, cheers for it.

7. SnickerSnack

You can't get to those areas in SP. :p And even on bnet, you can only access the ones in Hell. I'm not sure why they're listed for norm/nm.

8. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

Not to mention the "Furnace of Pain" and "Matron's Den"??

EDIT: DISREGARD. PWNT.

9. jdkerr

jdkerr Diabloii.Net Member

Well, shows how much I know about the game. I was wondering where they were myself, but I don't know the names of the out of the way places in Act 5, so I assumed they were tucked in there somewhere. Anyways, that's what the drop calculator listed. :p

So forget the NM business. Not only are the odds poor, but the areas are imaginary. :D

10. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

EDIT:
    R.I.P. Conqueror Losthope, 85 Frenzybarb that could handle The Pit but not the Flayer Jungle. Got a few rooms into The Swampy Pit and said "to hell with exploding muppets", went looking for the Flayer Dungeon, tried to Leap Attack out of trouble, landed in a mob with finger trying frantically to push Full Rejuv as soon as he landed, but no good. Here comes another Strafazon.

The above is correct, as far as I can tell - with a drop odds of 1:1618 on p3, which is about what I seem to be able to handle at current gear/skill/patience levels. However, untwinked-ish or no-trade you won't have access til after Hell Baal.

After Hell Cows you immediately drop down to 1:1877 on p3. I went through the list of all 1:1877 monsters and got the following tally of how many monsters are mentioned in the dropcalc for each area:

Flayer Dungeon: 10
    Frigid Highlands: 9
    Bloody Foothills: 7
    Crystalline Passage: 7
    Swampy Pit: 7
    Pit of Acheron: 4
    Outer Steppes: 4
    Halls of the Dead: 4
    Abaddon: 3
    Claw Viper Temple: 3
    Frozen Tundra: 2
    The Hole: 2
    Kurast Bazaar: 2
    Kurast Causeway: 2
    Arreat Plateau: 2
    Upper Kurast: 2

Statistics lie. Some areas could have very little of the monsters that caused a high score for that region. Multiple-level small-map dungeons will have high scores due to the same monster being found on several maps of the same dungeon and so getting mentioned 2-4 times while the same absolute monster density for another area of the game only gets one mention.

That said, I think there are some reasonable conclusions we can draw from the above:

1. Flayer Dungeon is a legit stomping ground if you really want to find Phase Blades. You will have issues with exploding muppets (stygian dolls?) and ranged flayers and undead. YMMV.

2. Frigid Highlands is just one large map - no multiple levels, so perhaps statistically it's less of a lie.

3. If you need other good stuff too and can run with some MF, The Pit and Ancient Tunnels are not represented in the above list, meaning they don't have any mobs with a 1:1877 on p3 chance to drop a Phase Blade. They are however reliably, proven places to get the best gear in the game. Hanging out there will net you good gear while you wait for the Phase Blade. Only you might be waiting for a while. With good MF you'll score gear that might surpass whatever you wanted a Phase Blade for.

4. Don't bother with Lower Kurast chest running for Phase Blades - 90% of the weapons from those chests will be magical blue items.

So, given that I'm having resist-issues forcing me to use "Smoke" and Iratha's 2-piece with other resists-gear instead of MF gear; that I'm not all that awesomely skilled; that my current weapons can barely handle the push to Hell Meph - I think I'll investigate the Flayer Dungeon first, then Swampy Pit and Claw Viper temple. Frigid Highlands looks ideal, but I've yet to beat Hell Meph, so... no.

Other options:
    Weapon rack. (reroll Countess' Forgotten Tower maps til level 1 gives weapon racks of Crystal Sword)
    Undefiled Graves have a tendency to drop (throw up?) cracked/low quality/damaged weapons, ideal for getting 3s with two cubing recipes. Unfortunately the ones I know about don't seem to give up Phase Blades much, though I did just find a damaged Small Crescent from one.

Or just give up and reroll another Strafazon now that I have some bows and better playing skills.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  11. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe it doesn´t matter now, but I would try Lower Kurast on /players 3 or /p5. The regular chests and containers (of which there are plenty in this area!) drop up to 4 items (regular locked chests drop up to 8 items) and MF is working normally there (so no massive amounts of magical items).

12. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Not to mention that rerolling racks is faster in LK than in the Tower.