Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best Amulet/Boots for WW Barb?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by sJw_shan, Mar 2, 2004.

1. sJw_shan

sJw_shan IncGamers Member

Best Amulet/Boots for WW Barb?

I've heard that many people are choosing to use Highlord's for their barbs, but does the deadly strike make a huge difference for ww barbs? I was thinking about using Cat's Eye for the big dex bonus.

Here's my current setup:
    Arreat's Face
    SS
    Verdungo's
    Up'd Shaftstop
    Ravenfrost
    BK Ring
    botd eth Warspike (cause i can't afford zerker or cb and found warspike :( )

Besides my uncertainty about amulet, which Boots should I wear? I know that gore riders or war travs might be the best choices, but which ones are really the best for a ww barb in your opinion? I suppose gore riders are great, but the hp bonus and str on the war travs are quite tempting.

Thanks for reading, u barb pros.

oh and one last note, is Enigma still viable for PvM? Or is shaft better?

2. shade449

shade449 IncGamers Member

Another good option for the ammy is the angelic ammy along with 2 angelic rings. This provides a huge ar boost. Oh and Enigma is definetly better than shaft in everyway.

3. sJw_shan

Thanks shade.
    However I should have mentioned that this will be a PvM Barb, not pvp.
    So I'm thinking that angelic jewelry is more geared for PvP.

And anyone else with thoughts about Enigma Vs. Up'd Shaft for PvM?

4. shade449

shade449 IncGamers Member

Ah if its pvm then the angelics arent nessacary. The best armor for pvm imo is CoH. Nice damage to demons(or was that the undead?) and huge resists. For pvm its just as good if not better than an enigma. Both are miles better than shaft because the dr cap is now at 50%.

5. sJw_shan

ohh. I forgot about the dr cap. thanks for all the info shade.

6. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

There is no reason whatsoever for you to use shaft. PDR caps at 50%, and you can get that between storm and verdungos, and even if your verdungo's isn't perfect, the 8% on Enigma will take you the rest of the way. Without the PDR, shaft is pointless. Enigma also gives you all that str so you can run minimum and pump more vit, a 5% life boost, teleport, +2 skills, damage to manat, etc, etc. It's no comparison, really.

Highlord's Wrath is awesome for a whirler; since there arn't many ways to boost whirl damage, the +1 skills and deadly strike go a long, long way. With upwards of 37% deadly strike, your almost guaranted extra damage every spin, plus you get some resists to boot. I'm a big proponent of Highlord's as the best barb ammy around nowadays (which is a big deal, since I used to hate it back in the day). Granted, godly rare/blood ammys are nice, angelic is helpful, and metalgrid is pretty cool, but I'm still pretty set on Highlord's in general. All cat's really has is the dex and some ar, and more run/walk, which isn't neccessarily good, since more run/walk spreads your whirl hits out over a larger area, which is bad for small packs.

Boots-wise, I'm not totally sure. With gores, you're hitting for absolutely huge extra damage 30% of the time, along with the spare damage from Open Wounds. With Travs, you're getting a bit of damage added to every attack, and 40 extra life (vit bonuses from items are not taken into account with BO). The MF on trav's is nice, but for a whirler, who hits so many times in quick succession, the extra deadly/ow/crushing chance will trigger a lot more often, so I'll side with those.

I think you're just not putting enough weight on the deadly strike and crushing blow modifiers, especially for a whirler.

-Hal

edit: damn, shade beat me to it with the shaft thing ;)

7. sJw_shan

Thanks Hal. I didn't think of the critical % mods being important till now.

8. ayoko

ayoko IncGamers Member

Errr...what is the range of a War Spike...for some reason I think it might be very short..ouch!

9. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

2. I forgot he was usinga warspike, that kinda hinders his whirl a bit (whirl hits = breakpoint + weapon range).

-Hal

10. sJw_shan

I guess I should go botd cb for pvm then. botd zerker would be best for pvp i guess, with the higher one hand damage.

11. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

I'd rather use the berserker for pvm too, since I always use a shield. It has the same range as a cb too (3), and lower reqs, so you can run with more vit. Shields save lives, and a good BotD berserker will have over 500-549 max damage on it, which is plenty enough for me.

-Hal

12. sJw_shan

Hmm interesting. You're correct. However I always assumed a one handed axe would have less range than a big colossus blade haha.

13. DhR_PvP

DhR_PvP IncGamers Member

Another thing to take into account here. MF. Yeah open wounds,ds and crit strike on gores is helpful but you are fighting monsters tavs help with dam which easy adds 200+ on a decently set up barb + mf gotta take that into account if monsters drop big time items its always a good thing. another reason y i saw no other armor should be considered for a barb other than enigma. Coh has resist but barbs have nr and are in general just easy to get resist (ss face anni ect). In pvm a lil mf could go along way and should never be forgoten or overlooked on a pvm chara expecially when it doesnt sacrifice killing power