Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Beserk and DS/CB

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by DudSpud, Nov 8, 2006.

1. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

Beserk and DS/CB

This is a cross post (sorry) as I have not been getting any advice on the Barb forum, and I have not found anything on this forum, the barb forum, or "other sites"... Also, as it occurs to me, I am more likely to get advice of this nature from the SP - ie, I do it alone, so issues of secondary attacks really matter. Please help, as Udo (a Conc Barb) is ready to spend his final points in mastery...

"After skimming through AS / F&F compendium / NF's Bes guide and a few other posts, I still haven't found an answer to my questions - Does Beserk multiply the damage AFTER deadly/critical (if rolled) is applied to the damage? I am guessing yes, the DS/CS is applied before it is multiplied by Bes. I also assume that off-weapon %dam from str, skill, etc. is applied before the multiplication by beserk.

Second, from my reading, CB applies (as non-physical damage for me in terms of leech, IM) first and is NOT multiplied by Bes.

Am I correct?

PS - I am an SP (low-twink, but not by choice...) HC Conc Barb trying to decide between Headstriker (100% DS) and some other weapons, concerned with my ability to deal with IM/PI situations.

PPS - And I was assuming that DS/CS was applied AFTER all of the physical damage modifiers were applied, such as Str/Skill/etc. This is also correct, right?"

Thanks,
    DudSpud

2. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

You're correct that CB is not affected by ED and comes in before normal damage.

For DS, I believe berserk comes first, then DS has a chance to double that total number, then finally it is all converted to magic damage.

Edit: based on this

"Deadly Strike
    This is a chance of doing double damage. This bonus is applied after skills such as Critical Strike and any other damage bonuses. Critical Strike (CS) and Deadly Strike (DS) exclude each other.

If you have a 33% Deadly Strike item, and 68% Critical Strike Skill the complete chance to get double damage is:

=CS + (DS/100)*(100-CS)
    =68% + (33/100)*32%
    =68% + 10.56%
    =78.56%
    It is possible to get up to 100% chance for Deadly Strike. Anything above 100% is discarded."

3. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

I believe that's incorrect, fluff - DS and CS double the BASE damage used for the calculations, so while rolling a critical strike does yeild double the damage listed in the LCS the impact comes at the beginning of the calculation, not at the end (although for practical purposes I don't know that you'd really notice the difference as you were playing). Your explanation of the mechanics of how CS/DS probabilities mix together are the same as my understanding, though.

4. Flayed One

Flayed One IncGamers Member

whats the difference JJ?
    It's either
    base damage*2(critical strike/deadly strike) * (%oed+100%)
    or
    base damage* (%oed+100%) * 2(critical strike/deadly strike)

no difference in the outcome:badteeth:

5. Lompo

Lompo IncGamers Member

Am I wrong or CB doesn't work with berserk?

6. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

Right, because you multiply by both factors, the order doesn't matter (though F&FA says it's ED then CS/DS in the actual calculation). But my question is, does Beserk convert damage before or after the DS/CS. Based on the fact that CS/DS is factored into the equation to determine final physical damage, I would say that Beserk converts AFTER DS/CS is taken into consideration. I hope so, anyway.

@Lompo: I believe that CB is affected by the physical resistance/immunity of the monster, but that it is calculated independently from physical damage (before physical damage - thanks Fluffballer), and so is not converted by beserk.

Thanks,
    DudSpud

7. Flayed One

Flayed One IncGamers Member

AFAIK berserk converts final physical damage into magic damage. by final I mean that it converts after CS/DS.

I'm also sure that CB applies before other damage, and that it is affected only by positive physical resistance. Negative physical resistance (like when the monster is amplified) won't help CB.

8. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

i have read in some "other " forums about DS/CS when they go you'll always do 2xmax damage no matter what damage was rolled by your attack

9. nex

nex IncGamers Member

That's correct.

What? So, if I have 100% DS (or close to it) that means I don't have to worry about min dmg at all? Weird... but good to know if it's really so. Who posted that?

10. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

Wow. With my Headstriker (1.5% x Lvl DS) that would be huge. I would be doing max damage with every hit. Do you trust this information?

Thanks,
    DudSpud

11. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

RTB is now checking if is true or not. let him have some time
    what i have sayd is not true
    <RTB> Myth busted.
    <RTB> flail with 1 - 255 dmg and 100% deadly strike.
    <RTB> dmg varied a lot

12. nex

nex IncGamers Member

Damn. If I checked forums earlier I could have saved myself some time. I also tested it and ti doesn't work that way (big surprise after RTB's testing, right? :smiley: ).

*nex kicks nebux shin for posting false info*
    *nex kicks his own shin for wasting time*