Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bertuzzi's Cheap Shot on Steve Moore

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by piff, Mar 11, 2004.

1. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Bertuzzi's Cheap Shot on Steve Moore

Initial Report

Bertuzzi's Thursday Hearing

Moore's Condition

Basically, Betuzzi took a cheap shot at Moore from behind with a gloved fist to the head, knocking Moore's head into the ice and having a 245 lb. man fall on top of him. Moore's neck was broken with a concussion and cuts on the face.

*flashback* Marty McSorely slashed Donald Brasher in 2000 in the temple. McSorely was sentanced to a suspension lasting the rest of the season, which included playoffs. It totaled 23 games. He retired before the next season began.

*current time* A predicted penalty, which I heard this morning, was at most a 15 game supension. I do not know if this was before it was known if the neck was broken or not.

I'm saying anything from a suspension for the rest of this season up to possibly a banning from the NHL. He may have killed Moore's career and passion. I, personally, would like to see Bertuzzi suspended without pay until Moore steps back onto the ice for a game.

As a side question, has anyone been banned from the NHL before?

2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I can't think of anyone being banned off the top of my head, there have been big suspensions before, Dale Hunter comes to mind also

I still like Bertuzzi, but yikes...

as for careers ending, NHLers have had their necks broken before, remember Ian Lapperiere's hit on Brian Savage?

Savage is still around, just got traded I believe

3. piff

piff IncGamers Member

I know for fact that McSorely was the longest SUSPENSION. That doesn't necassarily mean banishment, in my opinion.

I like Bertuzzi, too, but what he did was uncalled for.

Because I don't know of Lapperiere's hit on Savage, was it a clean hit or a cheap shot like Bertuzzi's?

4. Ash Housewares

it was clean, no suspension, no fine

it was the year when the Canadiens set a league record for man games lost to injury, Koivu had a concussion, another guy got hit in the throat with a puck, it was a mess

5. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Serious question: Can't this Bertuzzi character be prosecuted for criminal assualt if Moore is so minded?

It seems rather strange to keep it in the sport given the injuries sustained and definite intent.

Not that I think it is necessary to give him a prison term... it is just a little hard for me to agree with a 'if it happened in sport it stays within the sport' mentality.

6. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Ok I immediately thought Michael Moore and I thought "Guy had it coming"

I pictured him spouting his mouth off on the ice at a game while some hockey player skates up and jumps him.

7. Ash Housewares

read the middle article, McSorley was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon for his stick swinging, Bertuzzi could also potentially face criminal proceedings

8. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Gah, just read the first and third article :eek: .

Thanks Ash.

9. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Bertuzzi is under federal investingation in Vancover. If they press charges, he will stand on trial for assult. McSorely ended up with 18-month probation.

10. majorB

majorB IncGamers Member

I love it when my favorite things (gaming and hockey) end up crossing paths.

Not trying to nitpick, but I beleive you have some numbers wrong piff.

Mcsorley was suspended by the NHL for an entire year, had he wanted to return, he would have also missed the majority of the next season.

From everything I have read/watched/heard, the MINIMUM suspension for Bertuzzi will be 15 games, with many people calling for a year ban equal to the precedent set by the Mcsorley incedent.

In my opinion, he should absolutely get the year suspension. This was not a situation where Bertuzzi was protecting a teammate, getting retribution for Moores hit on Naslund weeks before, which was a clean hit by the way. In the world of hockey, you solve that with a fight, face to face, drop the gloves and go. Attacking an unsuspecting player from behind is beyond cowardly. Ive never liked Bertuzzi, he takes cheap shots and never backs his so called "tough guy" image on the ice with the appropriate actions. Hes no Tie Domi, a thug in the truest sense of the word, but hey, at least Domi will drop the gloves. Hell, he even fights fans.

I suppose you should take some of my opinions with a big fat grain of salt, I am a Blues fan afterall :uhhuh:

**** Todd Bertuzzi, he made a pathetically stupid decision, and he and his team will now have to pay for it.

MajorB

11. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

Doesn't change what happened, but I don't think Bertuzzi intended anything nearly as serious.

He looked prime for just the 1 shot, or maybe the start of a fight but looks like he stumbled over Moore and took him head down into the ice by accident.

Banning from the NHL, No. Criminal charges, yes.

I honestly don't think it was as bad as the McSorley incident... in this case Bertuzzi wasn't wielding a weapon. A little anger and an expanded mishap may have just caused a horrible injury.

Suspension for the rest of the regular season (roughly 12 games left)... then put the incident behind you and let things be settled (Between the teams) in the playoffs. I doubt he had intent to injure... intent to hurt/punish, yes... but not intent to injure (If that makes any sense)

12. Ash Housewares

I haven't seen it, but I really doubt it measures up to the McSorley incident

13. majorB

majorB IncGamers Member

It was pretty bad, in D2 terms, Moore was definately NKed.

14. Xoranix

Xoranix IncGamers Member

I think it would have been a lot different had Bertuzzi decided to actually fight with the guy instead of flooring him from behind. If they had gotten into a good old hockey fight...then hey, that's part of hockey. But, obviously the dude came up from behind and whaled him. He deserves to be punished severely.

15. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

I wish I could claim this as my own but it's my Mom's :uhhuh:

Moore went down with Bertuzzi (200pounds about) on top of him then one Avs player and TWO more Cunucks jumped on the pile. HOW THE HELL CAN THAT BE GOOD FOR YOU?!?:bonk: those guys should get reckless endangerment:innocent: , that's probably what broke his neck

Go Jets!:worship: I predict that one day Phil Housely, Dale Howerchuck and Doug Snail will buy the team back from Pheonix.

16. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

Not ferderal, he's being investigated by the Vancouver Police, not R.C.M.P.

Moore is a goon, but he did not deserve a cheap shot like that. Granato was a moron for putting Moore in the third period when the game became pretty much a boxing match, he should have been benched for the entire thrid period. Bertuzzi should not have hit him the way he did, he should have turned him around and then dropped the gloves. Now that's old time hockey. I don't think he should get a large suspension like McSorley for the action alone, cause hey, he didn't use a goddamnit stick. But because of the extent of the injuries he should definately get more than the usual 3 game suspsension for a cheap shot.

I highly doubt the injuries came from the initial punch, Moore is a tough guy. It most likely happened when he went face first into the ice, and not only did Bertuzzi come with him, but pretty much the entire Avalanche line. Bertuzzi is entirely to blame, but I think Granato could have prevented it by no putting Moore out there like a sitting duck, and Crawford should have had more control over his team. Infact the league (refs) should have had more control, everyone knew there was bad blood between this team, hell I knew it was going to be a gong show.

17. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Ah, that's how it went. Thanks, major. I knew he ended up sitting for 23 games, but I didn't know it was actually a years suspension.

EDIT: Federal, local...it's all the same *looks around nervously*

18. Ash Housewares

theres always alot on the coaches to keep things in order in the third period of a blowout, Bertuzzi wasn't gonna score 6 goals in the 3rd period either, so its on both coaches that he was out there at the same time as Moore, but it is ultimately the player who is responsible for his own actions

19. Joshua

Joshua IncGamers Member

It looked to me..in the 50 or so times its been on t.v. here in Denver that Bertuzzi threw several more punches at him once he was down. And he definately rode him to the ice with his forearm in the back of his neck.

20. Joshua

Joshua IncGamers Member

Equally as bad IMHO. Regardless of where you stand on the issues surrounding this incident it was just gruesome.