Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Berserker barb?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Katsuro, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Katsuro

Katsuro Diabloii.Net Member

Berserker barb?

Hey guys i have several questions about the berserk barb.. i know the damage is amazing indeed but is it a must to have a backup skill for leech or handling big mobs? you see the build im thinking about is for killing uber diablo, mephisto and duriel, i wouldn't be doing this alone i will have a paladin with me so i would like to do some mayor damage. my friend found Messerschmidt's Reaver for so im thinking of going axe mastery, berserk, BO + 1 point in BC, and then try to maximize the synergies. But i wonder if its a must to use a backup skill? keep in mind that this build is in mind for killing the ubers.. the idea is that my friend will take the most punches as i do some mayor damage on the side.. But im curious of how vulnareble you are as a barb to have 0 defense? allso ive read that in hell they most probobly hit you 75% of the time anyways so you only loose like 25%, from having no defense. oh and allso how good is Messerschmidt's Reaver? from what i have found its like the second best uniqe? aside from runewords i guess?.. // Sorry for my horrid english, would appriciate all the help i can get:)

2. Lord_Alucard

Lord_Alucard Diabloii.Net Member

Berserk for überhunting won't be effective if you ask me, not fast enough to deliver the massive amount of crushing Blows needed. And with the barb not having any def you will be slaughtered in an instant even with life tap. The amount of damage from Berserk is terrifying indeed, but the dmg that will end the übers is Crushing blow.

For a barb to be a great überhunter, I would use Frenzy with Beast and eDeath, both in Berserker axes. with this you have insane attack speed along with atleast 50% CB

3. Katsuro

Katsuro Diabloii.Net Member

but arent curshing blows just like a crit? in that case i get crit from mastery.

4. Lord_Alucard

Lord_Alucard Diabloii.Net Member

Not like a crit at all, a crit just does double dmg, Crushing Blow takes away a portion of the opponents life, dont know the numbers atm and I'm to lazy to check =) But say über diablo has 1,6 million hp, every succesful crushing blow will take away 1/8 of the current life. Take tha into comparison with you doing 15k with Berserk and 30k on a crit, before the damage reduction. The difference it clearly noticable. True, when he only has a sliver of life left, crushing blow isn't very effectivve because f the low life. But until then it is everything

5. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Critical hit means double damage.
    Crushing blow reduces the monsters hit points with a percentage, so versus monsters with huuuge hitpoints (ubers etc) crushing blow helps a lot more.

edit: seems like I'm too late. :p

6. MedctnStn

MedctnStn Diabloii.Net Member

i think the deadly strike mod is the same as critical strike

7. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

That is true. The difference is that deadly strike spawns on some uniques etc, but critical strike comes only from skills such as barbs masteries and the amazons passive skill.

8. SirBeetle

SirBeetle Diabloii.Net Member

Um...The ubers are pretty damn resistant to magic ie. Berserk, so I'd think it would be an absolutely terrible build for ubers.

Here's a lil pro/con table for your situation:

Pros:
    Berserk can kill the little minions in tristam

Cons:
    Berserk is all magical (ubers res that more than anything)
    Berserk makes it impossilbe to use life leach which is the only thing keeping you alive in tristam.
    Berserk isn't effected to my knowledge by crushing blow or any effects like it.
    Having a 0 defense in Tristam is a BAD idea.

You're much better making a frenzy or even a concentrate barb for ubers.

9. Spankeh

Spankeh Diabloii.Net Member

Berserk will TOTALLY get ownd in ubertrist, as will WW.

For Barbs, frenzy is the only way to go...