Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Berserk Paladin - need of advice and ideas

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by drmalawi, Jun 29, 2018.

1. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Hi SPF

I have been thinking about making a Berserk paladin, that is - a Barb wannabe - paladin! The weapon of choice is of course Passion, that grants the oskill Berserk to any class.

I will play this char twinked, but with as "basic" items as possible. I have made many "standard" Paladins; zealots, avengers, smiters, and hammerdins over the years, but now I would like to take on the task of making some ... "wierd" paladins. And the one I have least clue of how to do it, is the Berserk paladin, and that is why I need your expertise!

Things I have been thinking of:

The Paladin should wear the Passion runeword as soon as the level req is met (43, so about beginning of nightmare).

Berserk sets defense to 0 (zero) during and a while after the attack (2.7s at slvl 1, 2.0s at slvl 5,...) and since the char will be "underleveled" most of the time, he will get hit a lot. Block-lock could be an issue, but Holy Shield grants 1 frame block animation.

Or, go with a two-handed weapon, no block issues, but then we know that paladins are vulnerable without the shield, since paladins have a hard time to get the resistances he needs to sustain and also needs some damage reduction items (Rockstopper is nice, since it gives both plenty of resists, damage reduction and fhr)

So that is my first concern, one-handed vs. two-handed set-up.

My second concern is what to do about them Baal second wave magic immune dudes?! I don't wanna go with zeal or smite here, so I was thinking about Fist of Heavens, equipping Hand of Blessed Light, and have it synergised (is that even a word?) with Holy Bolt and Holy Shock. The idea is to have Fanaticism as main aura, and if I go with the two-handed set up, that leaves plenty of skill points to place in funny places.

Or, he could just use some throwing weapon, for the ultimate barb-wannabe feeling.

Merc will be a mighty might desert warrior, using a Barb merc will only make this wannabe-barb paladin feel unconformable.

Thank you so much for reading this, looking forward to read your ideas, then playing this one and finally making some kind of Pat-writeup thread :)

2. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

You could go with a Barb merc under the pretense that the Pali is learning how to Barb, or the Barb hired a Pali merc (probably just for the aura)

If you're going two handed it would be difficult to leave off Charge, and it has the benefit of being physically brutal like a Barb. Two handed is also how a Barb should really be played. Certainly not sword and board. CtA would make him more of a Barb and help with squishiness.

FoH and Holy Bolt are about as unBarb as a Pali can get really. I personally dont see it fitting the theme too well.

3. drmalawi

Without might aura, I am afraid damage will not be sufficient. I could use Fortitude and CtA, but then its not "basic items" anymore :)

FoH was just an idea I had that there are so many unused skill points to spare, charge might be a better idea since it is a very brutal form of attack! The Diablo III barb has the skill Furious Charge (which mechanically is superior to D2's bugged version of it).

4. maareek

maareek Diabloii.Net Member

I'd definitely suggest a large two-hander. I played a Passion Paladin ages ago, there may be some knowledge there, though Berserk was only a backup attack there. My Berserk Druid and Vengeance Amazon may have some knowledge related to playthroughs using single-target attacks you'll find useful.

I agree with Brak, Charge seems a good fit, and is something I would want use on any paladin I ever made. Resists will be a problem. Having zero leech will be an even bigger problem. Keep them in mind and plan accordingly. That's my off-the-cuff, 1:30am thoughts, I'll try to give an actual think on the subject and come back later if I have additional advice, more questions would of course be helpful, but it may take me awhile. Hopefully other people jump in on the help bandwagon.

5. Yng

Yng Diabloii.Net Member

Not sure what Merc kit you were planning to use but Might/Reaper’s handles Wave 2 fairly well with Fanaticism active. It works better with Hdin because you can AoE the summons right away but “it works better with Hdin” is going to apply to a lot of things. It’s also got the added bonus of slowing/reducing damage to help with your survivability issues. At any rate, you certainly don’t have to run Baal.

6. drmalawi

Yeah, merc can probably take care of them himself, but it is very un-barbaric to not participate and contribute in battle! Nope, just have to kill Baal once :)

7. maareek

maareek Diabloii.Net Member

Keep in mind that Passion is not the greatest weapon ever. The damage bonus is nothing special, it has no particularly useful additional combat mods, and the 25% chance to cause a monster to flee on hit is, to be honest, absolutely awful. Also remember that even though it's a static 25% chance, it will trigger 0% of the time against Zombies in the Blood Moor and somehow 200% of the time against every single Flayer in the act 3 jungle. So, choosing a weapon with large base damage gets the most mileage out of the not so large %damage bonus from the runeword, which enables us to try to mitigate that terrible monster flee mod by killing as many monsters we hit in one swing as we possibly can. I can tell you that a Passion Thunder Maul hits like a truck, and unless I wanted to comment on the length of my rangeadder by using a War Pike or go for a Lizzy Borden themed build by using a Glorious Axe, Thunder Maul would be my hoped for end-game base for a character wanting to kill using Passion, just because of the headaches saved from minimizing monster fleeing.

As for dealing with Magic Immunes, that really is up to you as part of your story telling, because mechanically there's not much struggle there. Use Charge. Let the merc do it. Switch to Conviction and just use a normal attack (or zeal.) Those are just a few choices, it really does all come down to determining what the way you want your character to face those challenges is.

Like-wise, you talk about wanting to make a Barbarian wannabe Paladin. Cool. What does that mean? And what I mean is this: it's your idea, your vision, so you need to supply the constraints you're going to be working in. Such as, you say you want him to have "basic" items ... what's your definition of "basic?" That word could mean anything. It very definitely does mean different things to different people, and it's up to you to say what your definition is.

For instance, a wannabe Barb Berserk Paladin would, to me, mean a Paladin using a huge two-hander, with way too many points in Strength cause he's trying too hard to look the part, a CtA on switch that he uses for each of the war cries it gives but...way too much, like using Battle Cry on individual Fallen level of too much. He would use some amount of the IK set, I'm not going to think things through too much but probably at least the boots, possibly more if it could fit. The only auras he would stat would be ones with a bonus while they aren't active (Blessed Aim, Resist Lightning, that kind of thing) and he wouldn't use an aura, at all.

From that little sketch of what I think the build would look like I could start to fill in what the build needs to actually work while staying true to the goal. But that's my vision of what you're talking about and there's no reason for me to assume that your vision looks like mine, so when you think of a paladin who is a wannabe barb, what do you see?

8. drmalawi

My main goal is to make a paladin that uses berserk as main attack for about 95% of the time, everything else is just bonus :) I do like the two-hander, charge and use of CtA (even though Ohm rune is not "basic" - something you would not find in a general playtrough, it is for sure something that is both fitting to a thematic build, and also makes a 2H berserker more sustainable).

The "chance to flee" randomness from the weapon, could be interpreted in this theme as the paladin has not yet learned to master the Howl skill properly ;)

Thanks for all the input!

9. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman Diabloii.Net Member

His hat should definitely have horns on it.

Zyr, ioupainmax and drmalawi like this.
  10. JoeBruce

JoeBruce Diabloii.Net Member

Don't forget about physical damage reduce (PDR) - that helps a lot when using Berserk. If you can negate a lot of the damage you receive then you don't need a shield. I believe flat PDR works better if you can stack it, but a little -%PDR on top of that is good too.

11. drmalawi

Yeah I was considering that too, helps with the many small hits