Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Behind the Veil #29

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Flux, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Behind the Veil #29

http://diabloii.net/columnists/behind-veil29.shtml

In this installment of his game design column, Chris Marks talks about "Cool Stuff Syndrome" and why it's dangerous to give into temptation and throw just one more cool feature into your game without thoroughly testing it. Anyone who played UO back in the early days of bi-weekly untested patch releases can certainly relate to and learn from this one. *shudders at the memory*

2. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

My god. I just spent what felt like three hours sitting and reading every article written... great series of articles. My brain is overloaded... EXCELLENT!
    :clap:

3. Kugel

Kugel IncGamers Member

Very true, i know exactely what he's talking about.

4. DiMono

DiMono IncGamers Member

I was actually considering mentioning this game by name, but decided it would be poor form to put down someone's game in a column read by dozens of people ...well, five anyway. In the book Developing Online Games there's a deconstruction of the design process for UO, about how they ended up launching two years late and five million dollars over budget, with over a thousand known bugs, but they were tired of pouring money in to it and wanted some of it back from the consumer base. Of course, they never mention it by name...

5. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony IncGamers Member

Yes, things like this are getting worse and worse in newer games. Bugs, bugs and bugs. The idea of many developers is probably something like this: "As many cool features as possible. We're gonna make them work properly in patches.". Great, but how long people will have to wait for them? And it's very annoying, when a game that you've been waiting for 3 years crashes every 10 minutes.
    A joke about making changes that actually ruin the project rather than improve it:
    A programmer is sitting at his desk. He is very annoyed, because something in his program is not working well. His little son comes to him and asks a question:
    Son (S) - Daddy, why does the sun rise every day?
    Programmer (P) - Really?
    S - Yes.
    P - Are you sure about that?
    S - Yes.
    P - Did you check it?
    S - Yes, I did. The sun rises every day without fail.
    P - That's great! Son! For God's sake, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING!

:)