Begins with 3 Tournament

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member
Begins with 3 Tournament

So it begins.

Hello everyone, an idea for a tournament came in my mind the other day (well actually 2 and a half weeks ago) and with the successful conclusion of my last tournament the “Barb Thrower Tournament†(congrats roninDOG and Oldsoldier on the guardian’s :thumbsup:) and the finishing of my exams. I think its time for my idea to become reality.

Firstly I will explain to you what this tournament is. This is a tournament where the first 3 skills (from left to right) in each skill tree, for each character can only be used. However to further avoid any confusion I have decided to take screen shots of all the skill trees and circle in red and blue which skills you can invest your points into (see below).

Before I show you all the screenshots the Diablo 2 gods have shined upon you this fateful day. They have taken pity upon your mortal soul and granted you the ability of Skill Sacrifice, which may only be used ONCE!
With this option you have the choice of sacrificing one 1st tier skill (first 3 skills from left to right) from one skill tree, for one 2nd tier skill(2nd row of skills from left to right), in the same or even different skill tree.
So for example if you are a Sorceress and you decide to sacrifice Charged bolt, you may then pick a skill in the 2nd row of the same or different skill tree and invest points into that. Lets say you pick up Fireball. However as a result you may not place any points at all into Charged bolt as it has been sacrificed. (Please notify us if you have decided to use Skill Sacrifice and state which skill you sacrificed and what skill you picked up instead.).

NOTE: I have taken screenshots of all 3 skill trees for each character and circled the tier 1 skills with red and the tier 2 skills with blue. As you will see I haven’t included all the tier 2 skills as some of them require pre-requisites that cannot be obtain due to the tournaments rules (Skill Sacrifice).

Amazon skill trees
http://img115.imageshack.us/my.php?image=amaog3.jpg

Assassin skill trees
http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=asseh8.jpg

Barbarian skill trees
http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=barbsg3.jpg

Necromancer skill trees
http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?image=necroio2.jpg

Druid skill trees (elemental skill tree has an exception due to its weird format, so if you pick Tornado you automatically get Cyclone Armour which is another tier 2 skill.)
http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?image=druidum9.jpg

Sorceress skill trees
http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sorczc2.jpg

Paladin skill trees
http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pallyim2.jpg

Hopefully you understand all of that, if you don’t just ask me some questions and I should hopefully explain it to you. Now with that out of the way I will explain to you the general rules for the tournament.

RULES:
1- Your character must be HC (Hardcore).
2- You must be Untwinked (no muling items on), however you may mule items off your character.
3- ATMA may not be used as an extended stash.
4- Any players setting may be used.
5- This is a single pass tournament, which means there is no re-running of areas and especially act bosses.
6- RRM is allowed however RWM is not allowed. (If you have RWM installed, just make sure you don’t use any of the runewords it provides)
7- All quest and waypoints must be collected before moving onto the next difficulty. For example; you may save your Charsi imbue until act 5. But you must use it before moving to the next difficulty.
8- Items that yield plus to all skills/skill tress may be used. However items that have +1 to a certain skill…example +1 to Blizzard or +1 to Berserk may not be used (the item can be used not the skill it allows). The same applies for charges.
9- You cannot Save and Exit to avoid death.
10- The official winner is the first person to defeat Baal on Hell difficulty and become a Guardian.
11- Have fun and most of all GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Code:
Forum Name      Character Name    Class        lvl    Act     Area

Dead/Retired    Character Name    Class        lvl    Act     Area

Regarding the table please make sure that it isn’t posted on every post as it takes up too much space and time. However if you are entering the tournament for the first time you may include your self in the table and post it.
It is desired that the table is posted once on every page (preferably the first post of that page). When posting updates please make sure to include information at the bottom of your post, such as, character name, level, act and area.

Any one interested in joining may do so whenever they feel like it…but remember the sooner the better :smiley:.

Last edited:

Colorless Green

Diabloii.Net Member
I predict an abundance of fishymancers (who skill sacrifice pdagger or something for CE and are therefore more or less not hampered at all by the rules).

Not sure yet whether I'll be one of them, though. Interesting idea.

-CG

edit:
Morathi said:
8- Items that yield plus to all skills/skill tress may be used. However items that have +1 to a certain skill…example +1 to Blizzard or +1 to Berserk may not be used (the item can be used not the skill it allows). The same applies for charges.
Does this apply to all +specific-skill equipment or only to +specific-skill equipment that provides skills the character isn't allowed to use?

Huriel

Diabloii.Net Member
I predict an abundance of fishymancers (who skill sacrifice pdagger or something for CE and are therefore more or less not hampered at all by the rules).

Not sure yet whether I'll be one of them, though. Interesting idea.

-CG

edit:
Originally Posted by Morathi

Does this apply to all +specific-skill equipment or only to +specific-skill equipment that provides skills the character isn't allowed to use?
My understanding from his phrasing, bolded in the brackets, is that only if it allows an otherwise unallowed move is it not allowed to be used

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member
true....however it will be hard without decrep, along with the other curses as well. But yes necros do have it easier than other characters yet they still have to jump a hurdle and that is what i like about this tournament. Each character is able to beat the game yet needs to jump a hurdle in one way or form. The main reason why i added Skill Sacrifice was to help out sorcs because the original rules didn't have skill sacrifice which meant that each character could only use tier 1 skills. But when i looked at the amazon, pally and mainly sorc, they all had it tougher than other characters so i decided to add skill sacrifice to help them out. It also adds diversity to the tournament.

yes it seems i didn't make it clear enough. I should have said this:
8- Items that yield plus to all skills/skill tress may be used. However items that have +1 to a certain skill…example +1 to Blizzard or +1 to Berserk may not be used (the item can be used not the skill it allows). If the skill however is not a banned skill it may be worn and the skill bonus can apply. Items with charges can be used but the charges are banned regardless if its a banned skill or not.

Do Paladins get extra points for sacrificing Sacrifice?
is this a joke? lol. Ummm no they dont get an extra point :grin:.

Last edited:

ElMiko

Diabloii.Net Member
This tourney will give me the opportunity to break out my Morricone Spaghetti Western soundtrack. I'll be entering with an Assassin sacrificing Fists of Fire for Charged Bolt Sentry. (I was going to go for La_Cattiva as a character name, but I ended up liking the irony of Blondie better).

Code:

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member
I'll be entering with an Assassin sacrificing Fists of Fire for Charged Bolt Sentry.
welcome aboard Elmiko.

However i should point out that charged bolt sentry is a tier 1 skill, which means it can be used without sacrificing a skill. So as a result your basically wasting your skill sacrifice. I think you should reconsider your choice.

ElMiko

Diabloii.Net Member
pretty sure it isn't, given what you've circled in the skill tree diagrams... still, they're your rules! I'll sacrifice fists of fire, but for lightning sentry, instead.

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member
*kicks self in foot*

Sorry about that you are correct i got the skills mixed up, i was thinking of shock web instead.

You can still go charged bolt sentry if you wish.

Sorry about that :smiley:

moiselvus

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
so we have only one skill sacrfice, and we can't put points in synergies? sorcs are going to be so hard (the no masteries doesnt help, and with no/practically no synergies) now I'm not sure what i'll be playing, but in about an hour i'll make my decision, and start playing, prolly it'll be a sorc...

oh, and what hapens when you sacrifice firebolt, to get fireball? can you still put one point in the bolt? (yes i know that such a thing wouldn't be wise seeing how firebolt is a synergy to fireball...)

Anheg

Diabloii.Net Member
so we have only one skill sacrfice, and we can't put points in synergies? sorcs are going to be so hard (the no masteries doesnt help, and with no/practically no synergies) now I'm not sure what i'll be playing, but in about an hour i'll make my decision, and start playing, prolly it'll be a sorc...

oh, and what hapens when you sacrifice firebolt, to get fireball? can you still put one point in the bolt? (yes i know that such a thing wouldn't be wise seeing how firebolt is a synergy to fireball...)
Could be wrong, but you're probably not allowed to sacrifice the firebolt spell to get fireball as it's a pre-req, you'd probably have to sac inferno/warmth. I know which I'd rather sacrifice :D

Sounds like an interesting tournament! I'll have a think about it today and I might join if I get time this week. Good luck all entering.

Anheg

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

Yes you have one skill sacrifice as i mentioned in original post. I will give you an example to explain your synergies question. For a sorc lets say i sacrifice charged bolt and get fire ball instead. If you look at Fireball you will see it has a synergies in fire bolt and meteor. Now meteor cannot be used in this tournament but fire bolt can. So you can max both fireball and firebolt which gives a fairly decent boost to damage.

Also dont forget that sorcs have static field which will be a great asset to you.

oh, and what hapens when you sacrifice firebolt, to get fireball?
you cannot do that as firebolt is fireballs pre-requisite. If your planning on going with a sorc and using fireball i would suggest sacrificing a skill that you will not use etc Charged bolt.

Last edited:

moiselvus

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
So, after a long discussion, and a lot of doubt (damn this tourny is hard), i decided to do a 2handed charger, with a shield+cb weapon on for smiting harder things.... As i won't use thorns anyway, i decided to sacrifice it.

skill placement will be:
Sacrifice thorns for charge
20 might
20 charge
20 prayer (for when i need health)
20 smite (for harder uniques//act bosses)
1 res fire (i thought the fe-bug still exised in nm, but i'm not sure, any toughts?)
rest in holy bolt for healing merc

Code:

Last edited:

Heskla

Diabloii.Net Member
Since this is my first tournament (except MFO) I'll walk the cheesy road. Fish with cheese.

Code:
Heskla		  Fabbe	          Necro	       1      Act 1   Rogue Camp  	

Poisondagger is sacrified, corpse explosion is the new stuff...

-Heskla

Mursilis

Diabloii.Net Member
7- All quest and waypoints must be collected before moving onto the next difficulty. For example; you may save your Charsi imbue until act 5. But you must use it before moving to the next difficulty.
So by this I assume we can move between acts without problems, back and forth? This could be used for gambling/shopping runs as well as using previous quest rewards?

Is the Cow level a requirement?

Do you have to declare which skill you are sacrificing right away, or can you play for a while before deciding? For those of us who normally don't plan very well :grin:

moiselvus

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Iomer is now lvl 11, he killed blood raven, and coldcrow, but his furtest wp still is the cold plains, next session (probably tonight) i'll just have to run a little bit :p
he has 10 points in might, and 1 in smite, and is wielding a bardiche with a chipped saphire in it, and can 1hit most monsters. his switch consists of a buckler with +3 life, and a rare hand-axe with no usefull mods as far as smite is concerned. i actually hoped coldcrow would drop gnasher, as that is an endgame worthy weapon for my smite-side. Kaisha hooked him up with a rogue, named ellie, and Iomer loves her help :p

i put enough points in vita to get to 50 vita, and the rest has gone into strength. I want to get 200 strength and 100 dex, so i can use most elite polearms, rest will go into vita.

@morathi: when we want to do cows, must we put the leg into or stash, or can we go back to tristram to retrieve it later?

Horobi

Diabloii.Net Member
As mentioned at some earlier stage. I will also be joining this tournament. With an assassin who is going to max at least Tiger Strike and Dragon Talon. And I am in doubt wether afterwards she will go for Fists of Fire and Claws of Thunder, or as Elmiko before me, go with a Charged Bolt Sentry (synergized with Shock Web and Fire Blast). Either way, she will sacrifice Blade Sentinal for wichever skill gets chosen (Once I chose defenitly I'll post it here, until then, I hope it won't be a problem I haven't chosen yet).

Anyhow that's me, joining this tourney :tongue:

Code:
Forum Name      CharName    Class   lvl    Act     Area
---------------------------------------------------------------
Moiselvus       Iomer       Pally   11     Act 1   Cold Plains
Morathi         Archaon     Barb    1      Act 1   Rogue Camp
ElMiko          Blondie     Sin     1      Act 1   Rogue Camp
Heskla		Fabbe	    Necro   1      Act 1   Rogue Camp
Horobi		Mhyst  	    Sin     1      Act 1   Rogue Camp

Dead/Retired    CharName    Class   lvl    Act     Area
---------------------------------------------------------------
PS. I changed the table a bit. Now everything is visable (no horizontal scrolling needed). If otherwise prefered, I can change it back...