Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Becoming a Homebrewer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Yaboosh, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Yaboosh

Yaboosh Diabloii.Net Member

Becoming a Homebrewer

Well, I finally took the plunge. Today, I visited my local homebrew store and purchased all the equipment necessary to brew my very first homebrewed beer.

After all is said and done, I spent about $170 on all the equipment necessary along with the ingredients for my first 5 gallon (approx. 2 cases) batch. This includes 2 glass carboys for primary and secondary fermentation, a 5 gallon kettle, bottle cap applicator, Iodaphor sanitizer, siphon, blah blah blah, tons of good stuff.

The first beer I will be making is an IPA (india pale ale). I will also be dry hopping it, which is where you add hop petals to the secondary fermentor so that it adds aroma and flavor elements to the beer.

I should have a drinkable (hopefully) beer within about 3-4 weeks or so. It needs about 1 week in the primary fermentor (where most of the fermentation is done), about 1-2 weeks in the secondary fermentor (for dry hopping, a bit more fermentation and allows the stuff in the beer to fall out of suspension for a clearer beer), and then about 1-2 weeks in the bottle so that the beer can carbonate.

I hope I don't screw up and get a good, drinkable beer out of this. It sounds like a blast to do, and hopefully, I will get pretty good at it. Not too bad to be able to brew 2 cases of quality brew for around 20-25 bucks each batch.

2. caddad

caddad Diabloii.Net Member

OMG I'm coming over.

IPA = <3

-D2netDad

3. Yaboosh

You know you are always welcome if you ever come over to Florida.

Of course, you have to be spoiled for good beer living where you do. Some of the best craft brewers in the world out there in Oregon.

4. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

That sounds good. I'm homebrewing hard cider right now. One gallon is 100% apple, the other is 25% cranberry, 75% apple. The pure apple cider spent 10 days in the primary fermenter, and is in the secondary now. I think I'm going to bottle it either tomorrow or Sunday. I plan on bottling 3 liters of it, and letting it age, and drinking the other < liter.

5. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Who was it in here that called himself Beerman?

6. Yaboosh

Was a while ago, and I believe his name was BeerEngineer.

7. skihard

skihard Banned

My buddy and I brewed our own beer when I was stationed in NY, after 3 batches we gave up trying because it was just too temperamental. I wish you luck and hopefully the home brew kits have improved in the past 12 years. Try a Dunkle or a Dopplebach in the future, 9% alc. by volume for a good beer FTW

8. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

That's the guy. Isn't he posting under a different name now?

Come out come out wherever you are! [/singsong]

9. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

I think I still have his OTF Trading Card. :shocked:

10. zodiac66

zodiac66 Diabloii.Net Member

Wasn't there talk of making new ones?

Good luck with the beer. That would be fun to try to do.

11. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

I made a thread about it but the interest level didn't seem to be there.

/hijack

12. The Pharaoh

The Pharaoh Diabloii.Net Member

I live in florida where you at...in tha glades? haha

13. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

My wife made a crude scrumble accidentally once. She left a bit of fruit juice in a plastic bottle on its side at the bottom of our fridge and forgot about it for months. Finally I said "are you going to drink this damn thing so I can get it out of the way?" and when she opened it it smelled strongly alcoholic. She thought that was really neat so she did it again, deliberately this time.

It worked, but annoyed the hell out of me because the damn bottle was still there taking up all that room with just a tiny bit of juice in it.

Yeah, it's a shame. I think the OTF attention span has gotten very short lately. *Pointedly brings up the failed OTcars*

14. Yaboosh

Well, yesterday was brewing day, and boy could you tell it was my first time.

I got a bit of, lets call it, caramelization of the malt sugars. It will certainly be a toasty beer.

I don't know how many of you know what an IPA is, but it stands for india PALE ale, hah, so you judge for yourselves if you think I may have screwed something up.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/Yaboosh/DSCN1369.jpg

Yeah...so, hopefully it is still drinkable. It is fermenting away, so I am happy at least with that.

15. ModeratelyConfused

Wow, that is dark. One thing I've noticed from my first too attempts at brewing hard cider is that it does get lighter as the yeast falls to the bottom. I'll take some pictures of what I have so far later today. Nice work though.

16. Yaboosh

Oh I am sure it will get lighter. It also looks darker in the carboy. But it sure as hell ain't getting pale, hah.

I am not hoping for a good beer. I am hoping for a DRINKABLE beer. Big difference, heheh.

You stick to just cider or have you done any beer?

17. ModeratelyConfused

Shh, but I'm doing this in my dorm room. I might try beer when I'm at home over winter break though.

18. skihard

skihard Banned

I made an amazing Apple/grape cider/wine while in Dessert Storm. We took a 5 gallon water jug and filled it with apples and grapes we took at every meal for a week, and then we filled it nearly to the top with water. We let that Black water jug sit in the sun for about 3 weeks, and then we added yeast and let it sit for another week when it came up missing. pissed we lost it we went to get a new can and found it with all the empties, so we took it and put it in the hell hole on my helicopter at which point we vented it because the can was starting to "round" out. Anyhow after 6 weeks it was New Years Eve so we strained it, took it to the tool crib, and played cards with about 6 other people. I was the most smashed I had ever been that night, along with my platoon leader, my squad leader, the 1SG and my best friend, yeah good times with the home brew.

19. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

That was some sweet military action. We really showed Colonel Cake and his legions of Custard Cavalry and Pudding Paratroopers who's boss.

20. Yaboosh

Took me entirely too long to figure out what the heck you were talking about dondrei. Shame on me.