Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Beast vs. Wand

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by SphynxCG, Feb 9, 2004.

1. SphynxCG

SphynxCG IncGamers Member

Beast vs. Wand

I read today that the beast runeword (lvl 9 Fanaticism aura) can only be made in flails, axes, and something else I forget. This would mean that my might merc wouldn't be able to wear it, leaving me. Would a beast weapon be the better choice for a fishymancer?

Also - what would be the best weapon to make a beast out of. Since I won't be hitting anything I would just as soon do it in the weapon with the lowest str req but still enough sockets.

This is all kind of hypothetical since I'll probably never get the runes for a beast (my necro has died twice this week. He is hardcore) but I'd like to know. I feel like level 9 fanaticism (more with +skills) on every skelly would make a great difference, but the other mods on beast are not that great for a necromancer.

2. Lyte_Hammer

Lyte_Hammer IncGamers Member

can't believe Kbob hasn't hit this yet with his ever so famous Commando>everything....

but yes beast runeword is great for skelemancer and as far as i know yes you are right.... put it in whatever you want but elite items will be worth more for trade.....

3. SphynxCG

OK well thats good news then. I did some research and found that a double axe can have 5 sockets with a mere 43 str req. A caduceus has a 97 str req and can have 5 sockets. I understand that the cad is elite and thus would trade for more, but no melee char would ever use a cad for a beast runeword (would they?) so it still wouldnt be a good melee weapon I don't think. I figure both a double axe or cad with beast in it would only be used by commandomancers, so a double axe would be better for the lower str.

Either way, this item would be for my hc summoner, so he would probably always use it and if he died...well then I wouldnt have it anymore :)

4. TheKbob

TheKbob IncGamers Member

The reason why I haven't seen this is because I was in class...

Beast Caddy is a good, good weapon to have for more PvM Purposes, specially for non-melee type classes (Necros and Sorcs). Beast Caddy has the speed, but not the damage, but his one good thing as well, 70 durability. When you can now repair weaps with orts, wasting 70 dur instead of like 26 with a Zerker or 24 with Ettin (elite double axe).

If this is hardcore, bah, I do not see playing hardcore and then die and lose enigma and beast and all that good stuff. Commando is more of a wreckless build, because now you have a Necro that can die to iron maiden :(

I would say go for it, but use Arm of King Leoric till you can acquire the weapon.

Thanks Lyte for the compliments but Commando does fold under some pressures, but Beast > Arm for summoner.

~Kbob

5. SphynxCG

Well see I'm not actually a commandomancer, I am a fishymancer. I like the idea of stacked auras though, and thought beast would be very effective. For this reason I wouldn't die to iron maiden.

I don't think its gonna happen any time soon but if I ever get the runes I'll probably be rich enough to find a cad, which can then be socketed with the socket quest for 5 sockets (someone correct me if I am wrong). This would need 97 str, the same for skullders (another fantasy item :))

Thanks for the replies.

6. TPMdm

TPMdm IncGamers Member

If you are truly reckless and want to use beast make an IG out of beast. You'll get the aura and you'll still be able to use your AoKL