Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Beast RW and Skellie Mages: End of the controversy

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Josiphos, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Josiphos

Josiphos IncGamers Member

Beast RW and Skellie Mages: End of the controversy

OK.

So I finally did some actual testing with Beast and My Fishymancer. Hands down, beast DOES help mages throw faster.

Without beast: 1 throw every 1.5 sec

With beast: 1 throw every 1 seconds

A dramatic improvement! It may not do much if you have 1 mage out there...but it is a sight to behold with 13 mages at once. Sort of like a machine gun :laugh:

I thought I was going to break the server or something though:13 skellies, 13 mages, a golem, a merc, and 17 revives...with the auras of thorns, might, and fanat going...insane. I could almost smell my internet connection smoking.

Everything was fine for about 20 minutes...until I got the claw viper army going...then things started to lag really really bad. But it wasn't like normal lag where everything just stands motionless...it was like playing in mud...everything I cast had a delay of like 2 seconds. I thought it was hilarious so I kept going...to see what would happen. After about 15 minutes of this, around the time I left the temple and all the vipers died...the game seemed to 'fast forword'.

All the sounds of combat were happening at once. The sound of the mages shooting was like a jet taking off. My horde seemed to tele by itself(without me!) around the board, killing things in an instant! I almost fell off my chair, I was laughing so hard!

After a few minutes of this, it seemed to slow back down to normal.

One thing for sure, Beast is the freakin champ when it comes to summons...even with mages.

2. garion

garion IncGamers Member

hmmm..interesting...so mages casting rate is affected by fanata?

3. SbCaes

SbCaes Banned

wow... hrmm interesting.

4. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

I don't think the Skelly Mage attacks are considered spells at all.

They are their normal missile attack animation. They just happen to fire a missile that is purely elemental.

(I highly doubt the damage component of Fanaticism has any effect though).

5. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

I'm not buying it. At 1.5 seconds that would mean 37.5 frames. Without the next-delay time it would be 22.5 frames for an attack. Speeding this up to 1 second would mean a total time of 25 frames. Or 10 frames without the next delay. A gain more than 29% IAS can give. How did you do the experiment?

6. Corvus94

Corvus94 IncGamers Member

MM I don't quite understand the next attack delay. From what I understand skellies have their normal frame rate attack, and then a 15 frame delay before they can attack again? So if this is correct a normal mage has an 18 frame attack and then has to wait 15 frames before it can attack again. Using lvl 9 fanat from beast takes the 18 down to 14. Would they not be attacking faster, even with the next delay? There is nothing you can do about the next attack delay, but they are getting to the next delay quicker by 4 frames, making them attack quicker overall. I had a fishymancer with beast and aokl on switch. When I had them in a minion stack, if i hit weapon switch, I swear I could see a speed difference in the missle casting, switching back and forth with and without the aura benefit.

7. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

This is correct. So using something like Beast will make them attack faster and in this case by 4 frames. Basically after every attack the Skellies go on a lunch break. You can change the speed at which they attack, but you can't change the length of their lunch break.