Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bear Paladin

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Calizzar, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Calizzar

Calizzar IncGamers Member

Bear Paladin

4 fpa hopefully around 6-7k dmg

Skills:

20 Conviction
    20 Resist Lightning
    20 Holy Shield
    20 Blessed Aim (I heard this gives passive bonus to AR even if your not utsing it as aura?)

Stats:

Str: enough for gear, without items. So then with items, i will have good strength so more ED.
    Dex: Enough for max block
    Vit: Everything Else

Equipment:

Weapon: Eth BotD Phase Blade
    Armor: Fortitude AP
    Shield: Dream
    Helm: Dream Crown
    gloves: Dracul's Grasp
    Boots: Gore Riders
    Ring: Raven
    Ring: BK
    Ammy: Highlords
    switch:
    6 BO CTA
    Spirit shield
    In inventory:
    Anni, Ptorch, maybe DemonLimb and wisp if i need more AR

Merc:
    Act 2
    Pride GPA
    Fort AP
    Vamp

Questions:

1. Is werebear's +life% and Lyc's additive or multiplicative?
    2. Holy Freeze or might merc?
    3. What's best shield to put Dream in?
    4. How can i figure out how many pts to put in dex for mack block? what is calculation for max block if i have 20+ hs and whatever? Is there a link someone could give me?
    5. Maybe more questions later

what do you think?

2. psych

psych IncGamers Member

First: 6 sox phase blade can't be ethereal

1. additive
    2. holy freeze, but might can also work
    3. 45resist all 15%ed superior sacred targe
    4. see FAQ in statistic forum
    5. I don't know, sorry

3. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

you mentioned your weapon as ETH BotD Phase Blade. Phase Blades can never spawn Ethereal. If you're adamant about using a Phase Blade, make something else in it, or choose a different weapon.

4. Calizzar

ok, well phase blade gives 4 fpa, so ill just make a non eth one.

more questions:

5. lyc and bear's life bonus additve or multiplicative with bo?

6. should go coh for better resists, with tgods so lightning wont hurt?

5. TheBhoy

TheBhoy IncGamers Member

6. Calizzar

ok, i've got new questions.

so altogther:

5. is lyc and werebear's life bonus additive or multiplicative with bo.

6. should i go coh for better res instead of fort? tgods for lit absorb?

7. should i go with ebotd zerker? It will raise my dmg, and i can hit 5 fpa with 35% nonweapon ias, which means no dracul's life tap. will i be able to stay alive without it?

8. bear's 50% dmg inc additive or multiplicative with conc, str, other modifiers? is basically eveything additive except for synergies/masteries for sorc?

9. oh, and forgot to mention beast in my items category. Will it get too annoying with beast in inventory, boing with cta, then putting on beast, then turning werebear, then switching to main wep?

7. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

Don't know much about the others, but have you thought about wearing a HoJ Phase and Dragon armor and maxing resist fire? That'd give you a 6 frame attack (slightly slow I know) with 1.2k fire damage, 1-5.6k light damage (pulses 200 fire and 1-950 light) before the -resists from conviction is taken into account. If you max salvation too you get 1.5k fire and 1-7k light (pulses 250fire and 4-1.1k light).

As to question 7, you'd actually hit 6 frames with 45non weapon IAS (according to the Dragoon's calculator). I don't know if that makes any difference to your thinking.

8. Calizzar

ahh your right. I was using dragoons calculator and putting in 10 (opposite of arreat summit value) instead of 10. Crapola...

hmmmm

I'm stuck between the 414 ebotdz that i have and finding a botd phase blade. botdz is much more dmg but 6 fpa, while pb gets 4 fpa.

as to hoj, thats an interesting choice... so many options.. one thing though is finding the item. getting a ebotdz was easy. Ive been searching for a botd pb for quite awhile and cant find one.

ok what i meant to say in my last post was i thought it was a -10 weapon but its a 0 weapon.

Kind of off-topic, but actually could be relevant:

does hydra prebuff? Like if i have a melee weapon and shield on 1 switch, and a hoto and dragonscale on the other, and i cast hydra, switch to melee and go in and fight, hydra stays at the higher level right? and with the +% fire skill dmg and -% res, will that stay at the higher level from dragonscale?

I think im going to switch blessed aim for defiance. this will boost holy shield's defense bonus. and AR wont be a problem with conviction

Now here's a question. Dream Helm gives a 5% max life boost. when does this apply? Is it after all +life items apply and before WB/Lyc/BO? Or is it additive with WB/Lyc/BO?

Never used conviction before. Is it supposed to be reflected in character screen? ie. will it show my chance to hit things as higher when a monster has my convitcion locked on it?

9. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

I'm fairly sure its additive. There comes a point with werebear (and wolf for that matter) where +life gives more life than +%life which is why many druids socket prubies in helms/armor.

I agree with you on the defiance over blessed aim too. If it turns out that AR is an issue, you can always put on the angelic rings/ammy combo.

10. Calizzar

finally found runes to make botd and got 6os phase blade. Unfortuanetly, it ended up being 356/12... oh well. the difference between that and a 400% ed one is like 15 damage.

Finished act 1 hell without using a pot. Did all quests and got all wps. Andy died in a few swings. Lots of monsters throughout the act died in 1 or 2 of the random shocks holy shock gives.

And by the way, this character is amazing for cowing people in norm. I just run around and every cow dies in 1 shock. Ill run into a group of 20 cows and bam they all die at the same time.

Alright guys i'm level 73 and getting ready to start hell. Only pieces of puzzle i'm missing are ptorch, maras, and botd phase blade. I plan on updating you guys as to how i do.

and oh my god, ive spent days trying to trade for a botd phase blade on us east nonladder, and i can never find someone with it!

right now my setup is:

ebotdz // beastz // 6 bo cta
    ap coh
    dream bone visage
    dream troll nest // spirit monarch
    highlords
    38/12 dungos
    raven
    4% bk
    magnus gloves
    gore riders

anni, 1 offensive with 12 fhr, a few 20 lifers and a few assorted resist charms.

finally found runes to make botd and got 6os phase blade. Unfortuanetly, it ended up being 356/12... oh well. the difference between that and a 400% ed one is like 15 damage.

Finished act 1 hell without using a pot. Did all quests and got all wps. Andy died in a few swings. Lots of monsters throughout the act died in 1 or 2 of the random shocks holy shock gives.

And by the way, this character is amazing for cowing people in norm. I just run around and every cow dies in 1 shock. Ill run into a group of 20 cows and bam they all die at the same time.

mowed down acts 2-3 this morning. Still haven't died at all. Merc died once.

hes using:

spire of honor
    fort
    Vamp

Im still working on getting him eth pride.

I'm level 79 and starting act 4 hell. When i started hell I was level 73.

11. TheBassman

TheBassman IncGamers Member

Can you post gear and stats calizzar?

~LesC

12. Calizzar

My gear as of now:

Daiman, level 82 Palabear on US East Nonladder

Weapon: BotD Phase Blade - made myself, rolled really low: 356% ed, 7% mana steal, 12% life steal
    Armor: AP CoH - 929 def
    Shield: Dream Troll Nest - 10 resists, 405 def
    Helm: Dream Bone Visage - 18 res, 445 def
    Gloves: Was using draculs but for some reason its gone (and i think i remember finding ti myself, so I dont know how it could have poofed... strange) so I did act 5 with no gloves
    Boots: Gore Riders
    Belt: Tgods - was using 38/12 verdungos but switched for the lit res and absorb
    Ring: 4% BK
    Ring: Raven - 156 ar, 16 dex
    Ammy: Maras - 28 res, used highlords for acts 1-4, switch to maras so I could have maxed res
    On Switch:
    Weapon: Beast Zerker - 269% ed, 37 strength
    Armor: Spirit Monarch - 32 FCR
    In Inventory:
    15/16 Ptorch, 17/13/7 Anni, 1 Offensive GC w/12 fhr, 6 SC's with various +5-7% res's, 8 20 life or close SC's, 6 BO CtA

NM Act 2 Holy Freeze Merc
    Weapon: Spire of Honor Lance
    Armor: AP Fort - 1476 def, 25 res
    Helm: Vamp - 7/7 leech

Still trying to find ethpride for merc.

Stats:
    Str: 119 base, 233 w/items
    Dex: 80 base, 134 w/items
    Vit: 281 base, 370 w/items
    Energy: 15 base, 62 w/items

I put on cta with spirit, cast battle command then battle orders then holy shield, then put on beast, cast werebear, then switch to botd phase blade. After doing this my output reads as:

Damage: 655-6552 (at 4 fpa)
    AR: 1061 (which gives me like a 40% chance to hit everything without conviction. With conviction I had no problem hitting.)
    Defense: 19483
    Life: 4227
    Fire Res: 75
    Cold Res: 75
    Lit Res: 93
    Psn Res: 75

Merc has has 3056 life and does 982-2485 damage, with 71 all res.

Skills:

Maxed resist lightning, holy shield, and have 15 in conviction (25 with items). Almost done maxing defiance.

I would make a screen shot but I can't seem to be able to do it on my mac.

And there you have it. Make a PvM palabear, its fun :smiley: And I can use this character for PvP if i get some more good 20 life charms and get ahold of some res all charms.

Question: What should I dump points into after I finish defiance? Salvation for more lightning damage? I dont need AR from blessed aim because hitting things is no problem.

13. TheBassman

TheBassman IncGamers Member

If I could afford the dreams I'd make one of these :grin:. Unfortunately ladder RWs cost a fortune on NL.

I'd definately go for more lightning damage.

~LesC