Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bear Druid?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by BreakThruX, Mar 13, 2004.

1. BreakThruX

BreakThruX IncGamers Member

Bear Druid?

Hey, i was wondering if bear druids are any good? And if maul would be a good skill. Also should i max oak or HoW (heart of wolverine). And lastly, if i max werebear, oak or HoW, maul, should i put the rest of the points in summoning wolves or a bear? Thanks guys i apreciate it.

2. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

Maxed Lycanthropy is a must for any shapeshife druid. Then consider 10 maul, 10 Shockwave. Rest into the summon tree: max Oak, decent wolf/bear. I heard that Cyclone Armor is effetive if you cast right before shapeshift. If that's true, max it.

So your end game at lvl 90 with 101 skills:
    20 Lyca
    20 Cycl
    20 Oak
    10 Shockwave
    10 Maul
    15 Dire Wolf
    1 Grizzly
    5 pre-req

Make sure you use a 110%IAS phase blade to reach 4-frame maul or 62%IAS 4-socket Griswold Caddy to reach 5-frame maul.

3. Flyte

Flyte IncGamers Member

Maul is no longer that effective anymore, in my opinion. Shockwave is still rather good (maybe 5 points), and Lycan is a must. Maxing Werebear isn't too necessary (but Lycan is for the life), and get maxed Oak. Although HoW may give you the AR boost that WBs don't get, there's an extremely good skill that gives you it.

Fire Claws. FC gives over an AR boost of over 350% at slvl 20. It is synergized with all the Fire skills (except Armageddon) the Druid has, each point in one of them giving an insane +22% damage boost to FC. Even if you only have the points to max only one synergy to FC (that usually being Fissure, as the spell itself is amazing), that's +440% damage right there on top of the insane fire damage FC already adds. Think of yourself as a melee Enchantress with much more life and the possibility for the fastest attack in the game at 4 fpa, with a Phase Blade with 110% IAS.

Grizzly is a great tank, but not more than 1 point. Same goes to the all the summons; don't get too summon heavy. If you need Cyclone Armor, 1 point again, unless you don't have many +skills items.

1 WW (prereq)
    20 Lycan
    1 Firestorm (prereq)
    1 Raven (prereq)
    1 WB (all you need)
    20 Oak
    1 Spirit Wolf (prereq)
    1 Molten Boulder (prereq)
    1 Feral Rage (prereq)
    1 Maul (prereq)
    20 Fissure
    20 Fire Claws
    1 Dire Wolf (prereq)
    5 Shockwave
    1 Grizzly

95 Skills, done at level 84.

There is also a great FC guide in the Druid forum (follow the sticky thread with all the guides linked in it), but it is pure FC (meaning FC maxed with three synergies). Not much room for Oak and Lycan, but it uses a ton of +skills to boost those (imagine 10 Summoning Skills GCs, Jalal's, and everything only the very wealthy can get).

4. det

det IncGamers Member

Quite interesting thread, as I am trying building one myself. He is going to be part of a party and don't expect him to kill much solo (if he survives at all - his first incarnation got fried by FE/LE Batuc).

Fire claws however look really tempting..need to really keep an eye out for it ;). In a party where you have a fire sorc however..it is maybe only like a match icompared to a Volcano ;)

5. BreakThruX

Fire immunes? Am i just gonna stop playing him? I dont wanna rush/baal run him and be done with him. I have this idea in mind just listen: maxed maul, maxed fireclaw, with a maxed fissure,and maxed oak, rest go into dire wolf or 1 into grizzly (i usely dont get past level 70ish lol). I'd have maul on my left click and fire claw on my left click........id charge up and hit with fireclaw so i get lotsa damage. Watcha guys think! Btw i got a razor edge axe that has 40 ias on it already, if i shaelit or put a 15 ias 12 max jewel in it would i be able to use that?

6. Shadoway

Forget about your razor edge. With a shael, it is 9-fpa; with a 15%ias jewel, it is 10-fpa. About half the attack speed of the weapons I have mentioned (110% phase for 4-fpa and griz caddy for 5-fpa). When your attack speed is halved, you killing ablity is 1/4 or less. With 4-fpa, you attack so fast (same speed as fastest zeal) that monsters don't have much chance to counter. But when you are at 9-fpa, you will realize a slow bear is about the weakest build in the game (that's why some people think bears suck, because they don't know the trick of fast bear attack).

Fireclaw is good because it depend on fire dmg, so a 110% phase fits nicely. It is also close to "always hit" (the exact mechanism is still in debate).

Maul is good for the stun---very nice. It is item dependent. Got to get a 4-socket Griz caddy. There are some other choices for the same attack speed, but none is cheaper (ex. Cruel cryptic sword of quickness with 3 sockets and some polearms with similar stats).

7. BreakThruX

So what your saying is if im poor my best chance is a synergized fire claw with a shaeld weapon and some **** fire facets?

8. Shadoway

Griz caddy is not expensive as of now. You will have no problem to trade for one with 40 pgems.

9. BreakThruX

Umm i dont have 40 pgems, or any for thatt matter. Could i get one for a wolfhowl or a titans? Or would i be getting a bad deal.

10. Shadoway

Titans go for 15 pgems on average (unless it is etheral), just to give you some ideas. Do you have any cold, fire, pally combat, poison and bone, trap, java skill charms? 1 or 2 of them should get you the caddy. Do some questing and open every chest to collect flawless gems. It is fast.