Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

BCMess...we've got a dilemma.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ev_, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

BCMess...we've got a dilemma.

So who deserves to meet OSU in the title game?
    Here are the remaining one-loss teams:
    Michigan, USC, Florida, Arkansas, Notre Dame, Rutgers, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Louisville.
    Boise State is undefeated, but there's no way in hell they're getting in with that schedule.

Make your cases in the event that all of these teams win out as much as possible (Right now that's all we're talking about. There are too many games left to consider all the possible "if so-and-so loses" scenarios). USC plays Notre Dame next week. Rutgers plays West Virginia on the 2nd. So two of these teams will be 2-loss teams at the end of the season. So with 7 1-loss teams, who do you send?

Michigan:
    Today was Michigan's shot at the title game. They lost. If you put them back in the title game, one of two scenarios will happen. 1) OSU will win and we'll be wondering why the hell UM got a second chance. 2) UM will win, and we'll be left with two teams that beat each other 7 weeks apart. Then what do we do? Yes, they're both great teams, but if they played each other 10 times, they'd probably go 5-5. Today was the day to decide between them, and OSU took it. Now another team should get a shot.
    Should they go? NO

USC
    Everyone can tell this isn't the same USC as the last few years. They'd have to play one hell of a game to beat OSU. But if they win out, they will have beaten #5, #6, #17, and #22. All three of their non-conference opponents will be top-25. When they're on, they're still a fantastic football team that can hang with anyone.
    Should they go? MAYBE

Florida
    We can all agree Florida is a good football team. They've had a couple very close calls, but so has USC. Let me finish the rest of the teams, then I'll take this debate to the bottom of the post.
    Should they go? MAYBE

Arkansas
    They lost to USC. If USC wins out, you can't send Arkansas.
    Should they go? NO

Notre Dame
    Even if they beat USC, losing to Michigan makes me choose another team over them. And if they lose to USC, well, duh...
    Should they go? NO

Rutgers
    I think the only way Rutgers was going to get in was going undefeated. The Bearcats ruined that tonight. Even if they beat WVa, There are other teams I feel are more deserving. If WVa beats them, obviously not.
    Should they go? NO

West Virginia
    If Rutgers beats them, obviously not. If they beat Rutgers, they're definitely in the mix, but I'd still choose Florida or USC over them.
    Should they go? NO

Wisconsin
    They lost to Michigan. I'd rather see Wisconsin in the title game than a rematch, but this is enough for me to drop them in favor of another team.
    Should they go? NO

Louisville
    They lost to Rutgers. If Rutgers wins out, Louisville should obviously not go.
    Should they go? NO

USC or Florida?
    Here's how I'm making my decision, and this is gonna piss some people off I'm sure. Florida lost to Auburn, who is currently #15. USC lost to an unranked Oregon State. Because of that, I'd choose USC to go to the title game. Here's why: I've been saying this for a few years now, losing to a ranked team says MORE about the loser than being beaten by an unranked opponent. Look at games in which highly ranked teams lost; When they lose to unranked teams there's a frequent consensus that they just had an off day, or shot themselves in the foot, and really just beat themselves. But losing to an upper-ranked team, usually the loser put up a good fight but just lost at the end. Trust me, if the situation was reversed, and USC had dropped to a ranked team and Florida hadn't, I'd be sending Florida. This is NOT my bias talking here.
    Who goes? USC (unless, Notre Dame beats USC, then I send Florida)

2. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

If it could be played on a real field, it would be worth it.:tongue:

3. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Yeah, your reasoning sucks, and even more so because USC is your team. Whether or not your reasoning is based on bias or not, it don't look good.

I still think FSU deserves to go, if they can beat Florida.

Edit: So, Gertlex, which field did OSU play on? Weird how they can play on different fields.

4. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

I hope you didn't think that was a real reason:rolleyes:

I didn't catch what was said on TV, but I heard elsewhere something about redoing the field 3 weeks ago?

5. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Yes, in fact it was the first time OSU were on the field since it was redone, and, due to heavy rain, it was obviously in bad shape. But, like rain, it is an equal burden on both teams, unlike Lombardi's shenannigans in the Ice Bowl when his boys practiced on an frozen field.

6. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

Ev, that makes no sense. You can't claim a team is better than another because it lost to a lesser opponent. Who's to say that Florida didn't just have an off-day against Auburn?

And using your reasoning, why not Arkansas, if they beat Florida? When they lost to USC early, they were a completely different team now. So not only were they having an intangible 'off-day' they were actually very different in personnel and play calling.

USC has had far too many close calls, not to mention they lost to an unranked, to send to the NC. In my opinion, the winner of the SEC deserves to go, and if you've seen any of my posts in any college football thread, you know I'll be the last one to admit that the SEC is in any way a 'superior conference'.

7. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Crap I totally forgot about the SEC title game. If Florida wins that, I'd lean a little more towards them. If Arkansas wins, I'd still send USC. I agree that Arkansas is a different team now, mentally and experience-wise, but I think USC could still beat Arkansas no problem.

No matter who goes, I still think OSU will win.

8. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

Easy solution, send Texas! The K State loss obviously doesn't count b/c McCoy wasn't in there, so their only loss was to Ohio State. Huh? maybe? no? FINE THEN!

If USC wins out they'll be in it, regardless of who we choose. They're high up as it is and with wins against Cal and Notre Dame, they'll surely jump ahead of Michigan (especially in the computer polls). If Florida wins out they'll have one of those epic BCS *****fests to hand out, and probably deservedly so, but it won't matter. This is USC's game to lose.

Actually, I think Michigan is in the best seat right now. Sure they lost, but freakin' barely. Also, their regular season is over. Done with. Every other contender has a game or two left where they can screw up and show weakness. Florida, USC, Notre Dame et al need to play perfectly to stay above Michigan in the human polls. Any slipups or lingering doubts and Michigan gets their rematch.

OH yeah and let's see... one undefeated team + seven one loss teams = 8! Time for an 8 team playoff, woo hoo! No? Damn.

AND WHAT ABOUT BOISE?! They're undefeated but might not even get into a BCS game. That'd be a hell of a shame right there.

And one more thing. The winner of the Big 12 plays the winner of the ACC in the Sugar Bowl right? Does that mean that if Texas wins out we'll have to play lameassed Wake Forest? What a bore.