BC Human Rights Complaint

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
BC Human Rights Complaint

Should hate speech be censored?

Human Rights Tribunal (background information)

This is one time when I prefer the American model of free speech over my own Canada's.

So, what's your opinion? I think it's ridiculous, and like the magazine, I hope that they lose so that it can be appealed to a real court. I think that the government has no business telling a private publication what they can and cannot publish.

Some background on the complainants' attitudes

bladesyz

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: BC Human Rights Complaint

Right... I wonder if you'd have the same attitude if Maclean's started labelling Jews as greedy money-grubbers and Blacks as violent criminals.

I bet you the case wouldn't be heard in the "human rights court" then.

superdave

Diabloii.Net Member

the first thing the muslims will do when they take over canada is do away with these silly human rights tribunals.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member

I, too, think this is ridiculous. And I'm hoping a real court decides as much.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not even comfortable with incitement and defamation being illegal.

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member

Could you elaborate on the incitement thing? Why do you believe it should be legal?

bladesyz

Diabloii.Net Member

I would, ideas are not action, censorship is.
Have you ever been on the receiving end of hate speech? When anyone, much less a nationally published magazine, hurls verbal assaults that aim to destroy one of your most fundamental aspects of self-identity, how is that different from active harassment?

We have laws against verbal harassment. When someone at work hurls insults at me, I can sue him. So why is it that a magazine, or some other type of media, starts hurling those same insults at a specific group of people, it suddenly becomes an "idea"?

In other words, when Bob the supervisor calls his female black employee racial and sexual epithets, he's harassing her. When Maclean's does the same to Muslims, it's freedom of speech?

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member

Have you ever been on the receiving end of hate speech? When anyone, much less a nationally published magazine, hurls verbal assaults that aim to destroy one of your most fundamental aspects of self-identity, how is that different from active harassment?
Because it's not directed specifically at you. And saying something bad, even if it is really really bad, does not qualify as harassment.

In other words, when Bob the supervisor calls his female black employee racial and sexual epithets, he's harassing her. When Maclean's does the same to Muslims, it's freedom of speech?
You change a lot of things when you put it in the workplace, in the context of supervisor/employee relationship.

Rashiminos

Diabloii.Net Member

Depends on why the inciteful or defamatory speech is aimed at someone or something.

There are circumstances where such speech is expected...

superdave

Diabloii.Net Member

We have laws against verbal harassment. When someone at work hurls insults at me, I can sue him. So why is it that a magazine, or some other type of media, starts hurling those same insults at a specific group of people, it suddenly becomes an "idea"?

did you even read the article?

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/books/article.jsp?content=20061023_134898_134898

take a few minutes and go over it...highlight the insults that "aim to destroy one of your most fundamental aspects of self-identity".

mark steyn,(i like to call him chicken little) the author of the article that has your panties in a bunch is a moran...most canadians realize this after reading his words...muslims have just given him a new forum to spout his tripe.

when i first read that article a couple years ago, i thought it was interesting...it made me think...i did dismiss most of the points he brought up as alarmist garbage...the guy is trying to sell books...the best way to do that is to be controversial.

being controversial doesn't = hate crime.

canadian muslims should have picked a different cause and a different venue...persecuting canada's national magazine in a provincial tribunal is not the best way to go about endearing the muslim faith to canadians.

Tanooki

Diabloii.Net Member
Damn straight.

And nice avatar :)

*edit* I read the article fully and I'm not sure what's "wrong" with it. Do Muslims refute the stats he mentions or the examples? The idea that there can't be an article published like that suggests he's 100% correct - but too late.

Last edited:

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

Could you elaborate on the incitement thing? Why do you believe it should be legal?
Well, personally I think that if someone goes on the radio and tells everyone to go and rob a bank and you do then you're the one who committed a crime. If someone told you to jump off a cliff, would you?

I'd like to think that you can't be arrested just for saying something, you have to actually do something. Sticks and stones.

bladesyz

Diabloii.Net Member

did you even read the article?

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/books/article.jsp?content=20061023_134898_134898

take a few minutes and go over it...highlight the insults that "aim to destroy one of your most fundamental aspects of self-identity".

mark steyn,(i like to call him chicken little) the author of the article that has your panties in a bunch is a moran...most canadians realize this after reading his words...muslims have just given him a new forum to spout his tripe.
What he's basically saying, albeit in a verbose way and trying to obfuscate his bigotry behind statistics, is that Muslims are dangerous and they want to take over the world.

Now imagine if someone said similar things about Jews or Homosexuals. Do you think a magazine like Maclean's would ever dare publish an article arguing that Jews are taking over our economy, or gays are subverting our children?

Apparently, it's okay for them to publish an article arguing that Muslims are going to take over our country.

Because it's not directed specifically at you. And saying something bad, even if it is really really bad, does not qualify as harassment.
(...)
You change a lot of things when you put it in the workplace, in the context of supervisor/employee relationship.
If Bob from next door bad-mouths me to his friends, I might not give a rat's *** about it. However, when a nationally published magazine with millions of readers publishes an article that portrays my ethnic group as a threat to the community I currently live in, then I would reasonably fear some sort of backlash from it.

Sure, I could dismiss Steyn, or whoever, as a moron. However, it would be completely unrealistic not to expect the article of be influential to a good number of people, especially when it's coming from a magazine like Maclean's. It's quite possible that people around me could become hostile to people of my ethnic group due to that article, and that puts me under threat.

buttershug

Diabloii.Net Member

What if there are Muslims that want to take over the world?
What if other Muslims won't put down terrorists?

superdave

Diabloii.Net Member

Apparently, it's okay for them to publish an article arguing that Muslims are going to take over our country.
as it should be...it's call free speech...it's a difficult concept for many muslims overseas to understand...a few in canada don't grasp the concept either.

It's quite possible that people around me could become hostile to people of my ethnic group due to that article, and that puts me under threat.
if they didn't lynch you and your family after 9/11 i think you are safe...you live in canada for christ sakes...it's not like we are systematically targetting you for daily beatings and torture...stop being an alarmist.

the article was published in 2006...can you cite any specific examples of people incited to run amok on the muslim population? i didn't think so.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, personally I think that if someone goes on the radio and tells everyone to go and rob a bank and you do then you're the one who committed a crime. If someone told you to jump off a cliff, would you?
Telling somene over the radio to rob a bank probably is not going to qualify as incitement.

If Bob from next door bad-mouths me to his friends, I might not give a rat's *** about it. However, when a nationally published magazine with millions of readers publishes an article that portrays my ethnic group as a threat to the community I currently live in, then I would reasonably fear some sort of backlash from it.
But even if you do get backlash, is it the speaker's fault? Because I don't think it is. Hold the people doing the backlashing responsible, not the speaker. They're the ones taking it beyond mere speech.

I also question your use of the word "reasonable."