Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

battlenet vs singleplayer, help a new player :(

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Haderach, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Haderach

Haderach IncGamers Member

battlenet vs singleplayer, help a new player :(

Hey guys, I'm bascially brand new even though I played D2 many many years ago. I'm very confused by Battlenet and the large community that still *seems* to be playing multiplayer.
    Whenever I log onto battlenet there's maybe like 2 games being played each with only one lonely person in it. Is it because I'm in a strange timezome / server or are there just not that many people playing anymore.

And also should I level on singleplayer and then play on open Battlenet when I want to? Or should I level on the proper battlenet and never play single player? What's the pros and cons of doing that?
    I was very confused by open Battlenet too because I dont get to choose a server or anything and there weren't enough people to play with me. :(

It's all very confusing, it might not seem like it to old players. I searched in your wiki and stickies to see if it could help me a bit, and now I kind of understand the whole ladder/hardcore business but hmm.

Anyway I'm thinking of playing an assassin now that I got the expac on multiplayer so I'm trying to find some assassin guides on this website now. So excited to start playing!
    Thanks for any replies =)

2. chenw

chenw IncGamers Member

Re: battlenet vs singleplayer, help a new player :(

Open battle.net basically uses the characters you have on your computer and plays it on Open Bnet, which doesn't prevent people from having ridiculous Hacked items.

Closed battle.net is where your character is hosted on the server and you cannot alter your character in anyway via any editor, making you play 'legit' (or at least closest to what the word means). There are quite a few games on closed Bnet.

On the close Bnet, there are Ladder and Non-ladder (NL) characters. Ladder is designed so that at the start of every season, players who wants to play isolated from the rest of the closed server economy can do so. They play this due to several reasons, such as less Duped items, Runewords (Ladder only RWs are only accessible by Bnet ladder, not NL or Single player, many of these RWs are very powerful for the runes they consume) etc since Ladder and NL cannot interact in anyway till the season ends, which is when all the Ladder chars gets downgraded to NL and a new season begins.

Hardcore is very simple, instead of being able to respawn after you die in a normal game, in HC, that doesn't happen. If your character die for any reason, you lose the ability to play that character, period. That means your items will dissappear along with your character, unless someone manages to loot your items for you.

I highly recommend that if you want to play Multiplayer, you play on Closed Bnet.

3. Haderach

Oh thanks! Helpful reply :)

So I live in China and my friend lives in Australia. If we want to play D2 together we would play on the closed beta Asian realm? Or is there another more private way we can play together?:thumbup:

4. Haderach

ok that thumbs up face made that seem really seedy, hehe :p

5. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Sp players can do the hamachi thing, never used it myself, but I've heard its popular in Asian countries. I'd recommend SP generally speaking, but if you're planning to play with a particular group of people, then you'll ultimately need to know what they're using first.

6. chenw

chenw IncGamers Member

depending on your connections, You both can try connecting to USwest, I am in Taiwan myself and I don't find my ping to USwest to be bad (~150, perfectly acceptable by my standards)

7. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Hamachi isn't required to play over tcp/ip, but apparently it's easier to set up.

Haderach: Be aware that if you play on bnet, you'll be subject to lag and disconnects and such. That can happen over TCP/IP also, but in my experience, not nearly as much. That might be different with you and your friend. Also consider how you will trade items among your characters; on bnet, you'll need your friend to help you every time you want to move an item from one of oyur characters to another, whereas if you play SP (and use TCP/IP), you can do it yourself using a muling program. Look in the stickies in the SP forum here for more info on that. You should also read these threads: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669527 (that one's linked in the SP stickes ;) ), http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728758

I think you should try both, maybe one for a month and then the other for a month, and see which you like best.

8. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Technically, to mule on bnet you don't require another account or a friend - but you never know when a server crash or rollback or disconnect will invalidate your muling. "Perming" games is a common method for folks on bnet to mule when they don't have additional accounts or friends handy.