Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Battle.net 2.0 SC2 Is a mess, will D3 suffer the same fate?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by nurman, Aug 2, 2010.

1. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Battle.net 2.0 SC2 Is a mess, will D3 suffer the same fate?

Well, in case you do not already know, B.net 2.0 is pretty F'ed up at the moment.

I'm only hoping Diablo 3 does not suffer the same fate.

Also, I get a feeling that SC2 is still @ beta stage rather than 1.xxx

So, the problems:

-Lack of lan play. (This has been promised to us (IIRC), but it should have been there always!!)

-Custom map system is F'ed up. (It has this weird popularity system, you cannot browse games that are up, no pw'd games, only 15 maps will be playable whereas there are already hundred, if not thousands of maps. Google for more information, it's pretty complex.)
    Long story cut short: The SC1 / WC3 custom game hosting system wasn't broken, so why change it? (Degrade it would be more appropriate)

-No chat rooms, this was promised to us in a later patch, but why not on release?

-Region lock. You can't choose where you want to play! ALSO, I've heard of cases where European, french copies of the games have been shipped to Quebec areas in canada, effectively preventing the canadian player to play in NA servers and is forced to play on the european servers.

-Total lack of blue posts in European forums.

-No private leagues and the lack of LAN play really cripples any third-party tournaments.

-Horrible ATI-Graphics card support. (FPS drops ingame, 1 minute alt-tabbing)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Re: Battle.net 2.0 SC2 Is a mess, will D3 suffer the same fate?

This is insightful to those without SC2. I particularly enjoyed how detailed you were about explaining what is bothering you. The evidence you provided is considerable, and will take me a while to read it all.

3. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Moment, I'll write what is wrong with it.

4. IMCL85

IMCL85 IncGamers Member

there is always hater, but what ever as far as things goes I still enjoy playing starcraft 2. En taro Adun breave warrior :D

5. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

^ Now multiply the number of haters by 100.000

For example, check this thread.

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/169346958

Anyone who likes the new custom game system deserves a lobotomy.

However, the map editor and the campaign is pure platinum!

Also, the game is VG in general.

But in all seriousness:
    [​IMG]

En Taro Tassadar my fellow 'toss!

6. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Anyways, my point in this thread is the fear I have over Diablo 3. Will it be released in same way? Imagine that you do not have a stash for the first 3 months of the game, or that you can't create games for previous difficulties?

I may be too harsh here BUT IN CASE YOU DIDN'T NOTICE, I HAVE BEEN WAITING 11-12 YEARS FOR THIS GAME.
    Also I'm a hardcore fanboy and I hate seeing my favorite games butchered by the likes of Bobby Kotick and his Activision.

7. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

I may be harsh here, but in case you didn't notice, they haven't even been working on B2 for 11-12 years! :O Astonishing I know.

Besides, by the time D3's even in beta testing, these little things will be smoothed over. I do agree it should have been done long before and isn't hard since they already have the skeleton for it in B1.

This is what you get for cutting things and making last minute revisions. ><

8. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Yeah, the thing that really blows is that they threw the amazing framework that the original Battle.net offered, and just threw it away!

It's like you know this great pie recipe, and you just pour salt all over it!

You could say that they have been working with B.net 2.0 for longer time than 12 years, because it's "2.0", a "Successor" or a "Updated version of the original"

9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i would say this is a sc2 issue and not a d3 one. if they cant fix this in the 2 years or so before the game releases then they have some serious problems

10. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Diablo 3 isn't coming 'till at least next year if we are lucky. It's too early to make any predictions from the Battle.net perspective. They have already working on rectifying some common complaints (Chatrooms, Cross Region play), and we will have to wait and see as to how the whole thing develops over the following months. Blizzard's #1 shtick has always been support and iteration, without those two things they are a very mediocre company unworthy of notice beyond historical value of genre setting aspects of their original games. (Well, and their amazing cinematics team.)

Starcraft, Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, and World of Warcraft would have never really enjoyed their respective successes if Blizzard stopped improving those games at release. Until Blizzard clearly and irrevocably demonstrates that they no longer support and respond to feedback, I really wouldn't worry too much.

As for why all the essential features are missing and why B.Net 2.0 is a mess, it's rather clear - remember how beta got continuously delayed because "Bnet's not ready?" I think at some point, they just said "screw this" and went ahead to beta. Something was clearly not working behind the scenes and took up too much time/resources. We may never know what it was, but I think the complexity of trying trying to launch what is essentially steam and x-box live while merging it with the World of Warcraft is the primary cause. Makes sense, if you are missing LAN, Cross Region Play, Chat Channels, and have a crippled custom game system you have problems that are really rectifiable down the road and annoy only a small portion of your customers. If you are missing the actual match making, networking, integration with WoW, have real problems with the servers, billing, new account system, etc. Battle.net 2.0 simply is a project that died as its flagship game is released.

Besides, look at all the major on-line projects of this sort. Things like Steam and X-Box Live were, for the lack of better phrasing, borked on release. They have improved significantly over the years.

11. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Very well put. :)

12. permaximum

permaximum Banned

There are at least 2 years for D3. Hopefully Battle.net 2.0 will change for good but i do worry about the actual game.

Epic-awesome-fun. When they stop using these words to describe their game systems or the actual game itself, i will be hopeful for the game again.

13. Typoko

Typoko IncGamers Member

Hi!

Trollin'?

Seriously, these things came to you just now? These things are the same things that have thousands of threads and some of this stuff has been stated to be in the game years ago. TBH, only thing that i really don't like about these things is no chat rooms for D3. I'd bet they can add those in 2 years.

14. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

Basically, OP just wants to rant about SC2 and to a smaller degree B.net 2. This has next to nothing to do with D3. Why else would he support his notion that "B.net 2.0 s pretty F'ed up at the moment" by using arguments such as:

...which is essentially the same argument being used twice (in lack of others, one would assume), and:

...which has nothing to do with B.net, and in the latter case nothing to do with SC2, D3 and B.net at all?

It's naive to assume immediate perfection; release is the best beta test of all. If there's anything about this that actually does relate to D3, it's that B.net will be a better platform once D3 is nearing release because Blizzard will hopefully have sorted out most of the quirks by then.

15. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

I'm comparing the poor performance of B.net 2.0 and how I'm afraid it could happen with D3. I should have made a blog post about this instead :whistling:

16. Moonfrost

Yes, but the poor performance of B.net 2 is likely due to the service being released a mere week ago. The same thing is unlikely to happen again because B.net 2 can't be released a second time. :)

17. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Didn't they develop B.net 2.0 for couple of years?

My correction to statement "The guy who supports popularity system needs a lobotomy" should be "The guy who came up with popularity system needs a lobotomy."

18. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

B.net 2.0 wasn't even functional last year. Again, their focus was on actually making the platform work (matchmaking, ladder, cross game communication, account system, etc.), with minimal required effort bells and whistles to make it look pretty and shiny to the common gamer (achievements, face book integration). You also have to consider they had to prepare a worldwide simultaneous release, which I am sure had its own set of annoying problems.

B.net 2.0 is no where near a complete product. Blizzard themselves admitted this. Expecting it to be perfect on release is just as realistic as to be expecting the game to be perfectly balanced on release.

Besides, 3rd party tournaments will have access to a special LAN containing version of SC2 if I remember correctly. Though we won't find out for sure until SC2 is officially picked up by 3rd party tournaments.

Welcome to marketing? Not going away. Ever. Just ignore it, these words have zero bearing on the quality of the game, whenever crappy or awesome. Every developer is utterly convinced they are making an awesome and fun game because they want to do so.

19. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

To everyone making excuses:

if I sold you rotten lettuce because the shipping system only got set up last year and we're still working out the kinks, you'd let loose with an expletive-riddled burst.

Stop excusing them. They released it. Them. Our expectations are PERFECTLY reasonable and were set up BY THEM based on history. Don't tell me why its reasonable that it doesn't work. That's the internet definition of fanboyism.

For the record I don't even play SC2 so I could give a rip. But, saying someone's points are silly because its not reasonable that this functionality could have been included is really stupid. RIGHT NOW, its missing a lot of industry-standard options. Period.

20. Moonfrost

Look, the sooner you accept that software - any software - will never work perfectly at release, the less time you'll spend complaining about the whole thing.

If software was improved until perfection before release, it'd never actually be released. Improvement takes time and deadline puts an end to that, meaning that the devs are usually forced to accept that their software will not only contain bugs but also lack some of the promised features upon release.

If you ignore the above and continue to expect everything that the developers say they "want to" or "hope to" implement in the finished product (not to be confused with actual promises) then you're really just setting yourself up for a lot of disappointment.