Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Battle.net 2.0 Diablo III and monthly fees

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Gamekk, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Gamekk

Gamekk Diabloii.Net Member

Battle.net 2.0 Diablo III and monthly fees

If we look at the current experience we have on battle.net servers, which is a decade old game with few support, the crowd goes wild free and crazy. I believe that if we played for ten years the future Diablo III game, it would look like it is right now in Diablo II if there are no monthly fees. Think about it

-5$ per month would pay for support to ban most public bots and almost all hacks. It would reduce lag and correct things such as "failed to join'

-another 5$ would pay for updating content with frequent patches

-another 5$ would be to highly balance end game builds and add major content patches such as dungeons.

What game do YOU wanna play? 0$/5$/10$/15$ of monthly fee? I could stick to a 5$ monthly fee for the game I want, but that's personal. Poll up!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. Gamekk

Gamekk Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Battle.net 2.0 Diablo III and monthly fees

So far the votes went 3 (100%) for 0$.

Online closed battle.net experience have a very low percentage of those who play the "real game". Many bots, many rushes, many leechers. You can always easily leech bots except in less popular modes (classic, hardcore). The online experience has nothing to do with how the game is "meant" to be played and yet, 100% vote for it. Explain me why.

Edit : spelling

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

if the game had no bots lag or ads i would gladly pay a monthly fee

4. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia Diabloii.Net Member

I will not pay a monthly fee for any video game. If Diablo 3 has a monthly fee then I will play single player. If there is a monthly fee and no single player I will not buy it, simple as that. I am a massive fan of Diablo, but I am fundamentally against paying for a subscription for a video game.

5. Srikandi

Srikandi Diabloii.Net Member

I MIGHT pay a monthly fee if it included regular content updates, instead of a series of EPs. Only of course if the initial game is good enough that I can play it for at least a year, with the updates.

For games that have frequent EPs, that is pretty much the same pricing model as the subscription model, and I don't care one way or the other as long as there's a regular stream of new content for my buck.

I would not pay a monthly fee just for bnet features, but I don't see that happening.

6. Malaterre

Malaterre Diabloii.Net Member

I would not pay a monthly fee for a game like Diablo. Guild Wars has shown that is was possible to offer an online RPG that works very much like Diablo without a monthly fee and with a huge quality of service (updates, special events...).

However I agree that in order to maintain the quality of service, they perhaps need additional income. I hope they rather go the Guild Wars route : extensions that are sold a bit above the average price for example. And a shop for some additional services (guild halls, extension of guild stash, additional colors for the dying system, name changing...) that do not give direct advantage in the game.

So I would be willing to pay a bit more for a better quality of service, but not a monthly fee for a game with only 4 characters in a party.

7. Flux

Flux Administrator

Is this a "want" or a "fear" vote? I want B.net to be awesome and free. I fear that it won't be.

I've long though D3 b.net will be fee-based. Not entirely, I'm absolutely sure that there will be some level of "play free on b.net out of the box" service for D3. Bliz can then point to that and say it's F2P and they support the game and appreciate their fans, etc.

However, I think the free version will have minimal options; probably lacking the ability to use some guild features, pvp features, ladders, auction house, etc. They'll charge some minimal fee, $5/month maybe, for the "deluxe d3" or whatever they choose to call it.

I'm less sure of this scenario than I was previously, since they went with a much less subscription fee system for SC2 than I expected. It's possible they'll again conclude that the US and most of the EU market won't pay subs for a non MMO, and those markets will get the full game with b.net for free, while Brazil, Russia, and Asia SC2 style stuck with monthly fees.

8. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

They are not stuck with monthly fees. They have the option for a full price game with permanent b.net access.

And there really is no reason to believe that things like auction house or PvP or any other central gameplay features will have a monetary cost, and to be honest, there never really was any reason to believe that. All World of Warcraft extra pay features are almost entirely cosmetic, server decision based, or "exchange" features such as changing Race/Classes that function as convenience.

The closest to gameplay impact Blizzard has gotten to was the 25$ pony, and it in actual gameplay terms it basically saved a minute amount of cash on buying a mount.

9. Killafornia

Killafornia Diabloii.Net Member

In the video they've said that they've already finished their business models for certain regions, and this leads me to believe it'll be similar to their SC2 pricing models. Where certain regions can pay micro-transactions by time played. I personally wouldn't pay a monthly fee for d3 simply because I don't have the spare money, and it isn't the type of game to warrant that kind of fee. If we compare blizzard to a small company like s2 games than it makes no sense to have to pay for a monthly fee for premium features. HoN is spam and hack free practically, the servers are fast, you get updates at least once a month, and the game only cost 30 bucks. If blizzard can't match an indie company like s2 then it's obvious that they are just sapping extra money from fools who are willing to dish it out for features that should have come for the face value.

10. konfeta

HoN also doesn't do huge central battle.net servers, as most of its games are client-server (i.e. one dude hosts and the lag is to his upload and relative location of other players). Its gameplay type is highly stagnation prone, with horrendous balance issues that leave most of heroes relatively useless, meaning it that constant content/balance updates aren't as much goodwill of the developer as much as they are necessary for the game to remain relevant and interesting in just short term perspective.

That said, S2 and Blizzard ultimately aren't really comparable entities. Completely different standards to uphold given the types of games they make and objectives they want to achieve with their on-line services. Battle.net 2.0 has numerous problems, many of which (such as lack of public chat, terribad custom game filtering, and cross region play) are hopefully being fixed right now without demanding additional monthly pay, but it's also on a vastly different scale compared to what S2 is doing.

11. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

hear hear!

12. Killafornia

It's actually very few heroes that could be considered useless. Maybe 15% of the whole pool aren't viable in a serious game, but with constant updates and hero reworks this number will dwindle even further. Yeah they are necessary updates, d2 has needed these things through it's whole life-span and really the game didn't get the attention it deserved after it's release. Even when it did get updates they just brought more and more problems. You can say yeah the games are different, but does that mean it's okay to ignore d2 because it never officially went competitive like HoN has. Nah, in my opinion it was just bad business.

Same thing with bnet2.0. It blows hard. Did the pretty graphics really hold them back? I'd rather have good ol bnet then the **** that is bnet2.0. It's 100x more functional. S2's system is better then bnet2.0 also. The only thing that's vastly different is that bnet2.0 has is eye candy and has earned more money because SC2 shipped. Oh and facebook but no one cares about that.

13. Maurish

Maurish Diabloii.Net Member

I'm willing to pay 5$ to keep out the game breaking bots and hacks but I'm not going to pay extra for small updates and balancing. That should be done for free.
    I don't mind buying big expansions though where I'm sure they'll have all the small fixes and new content for us so 5$ is all I'm willing to pay monthly.

14. konfeta

Well, it's incredibly difficult to defend B.net 2.0 because the premise of its advantages lies in stuff Blizzard failed to implement on release. I don't think one should be exaggerating functionality difference vs. the old as 100x, as the new battle.net design has advantages (matchmaking, friend list), sidegrades (custom game list), and philosophical design difference (realID, single account, achievement spam) in addition to the obvious missing features. We'll wait and see if the free b.net 2 variant is good by the time D3 comes out.

As for D2 attention, well the game, the game is ancient, and among the games of its release date it is still one of the best supported. The standards for support have obviously improved, but D2's netcode has not (hack/lag issues, etc.), and I doubt it will.

15. Killafornia

I find it ridiculous that people believe they need to pay extra to keep the game fair. If blizzard can't keep the game hack free for the 60 bucks shipping price then they've failed as game producers.

16. konfeta

Combating hacks takes manpower, not game producer talent. The more popular the game, the more people write hacks for it, the more support in form of live humans it needs to review hacker submissions and baninate.

17. Apocalypse

gotta disagree here. bliz supported D2 far longer than any game company should need to. they made a few major patches that really changed the game. no copany should be required to keep a server up 24/7 with updates as needed without expecting something in return. most games are 60 now and most games get 1 patch and then it is forgotten about.

now i rather not pay monthly if i dont have to but to say bliz should constantly update bnet and the game for only the initial 60 bucks is ridiculous

18. Killafornia

I have never played a game that received that little amount of updates unless they weren't needed. Not even single-player games receive only one patch nowadays. Several games receive about as many content updates as d2 has and over a much shorter amount of time, and they sell a lot less copies. If your game is broken then you are obligated to fix it, and if you try to fix it but you break it in a different way, well you better get to work on the next update. I wouldn't accept a messed up product from any other company and be content. I'm not going to accept it from a gaming company either.

19. Apocalypse

you are right, if the game is broken they need to fix it. they do not need to worry about balance issues or people spamming or even hackers really. all that stuff is just extra money spent. granted getting rid of hacks only helps them sell future games but it also costs them money to do it. i just never understood why people felt blizzard needed to do more when they are providing a free service?

20. Killafornia

Getting rid of hacks and fixing balance issues are part of fixing a broken game. Multi-player isn't a free service, it was announced with the game there for it's part of the whole package. In fact the game is built around that being a main feature. I paid for multi-player in d2 so it is their job to fix it when there is problems.