Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bass Player On Market!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hippie Holocost, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Hippie Holocost

Hippie Holocost IncGamers Member

Bass Player On Market!!!!!

Is there anyone on this forum that is looking at starting a band in the Baton Rouge/ New Orleans area? I just got out of a professional band (because of unprofessional people) and I'm looking at starting another band.

I was hoping to start an Alt. Rock band, playing covers and orginals. I write lyrics as well as play bass. I have been doing both for about 6 years now and if anyone has any questions either post in here, PM me, or email me at

[email protected]

Thanks
    Dave

2. MagiusTheGrey

MagiusTheGrey IncGamers Member

Just curious, what band was it that you just got out of? One band you might be in interested in is Shatterbox. They were based out of Crowley a few years ago, all Notre Dame of Crowley kids, but they should be at LSU right now. Im not even sure theyre looking for a bassist, but hell it wont hurt to get your name out there to some of those guys...their main guy's name is Matt Monceaux. I went to school with all the members of The Benji Davis Project(have you heard of them?). I doubt theyre looking for anyone, but they would prolly know some people that are looking to start up a band. Also, i would go to Clicks or some of the places in tigerland and even the Varsity and just see if there are any flyers up of people looking for bass guys. Other than that, i cant help you much more.

3. Hippie Holocost

The bands name was Serious Muse. We played about 8-9 shows in Pt. Allen, and one in Baton Rouge that was a private party. I actually know the manager of the Benji Davis Project, I was talking to him about doing some artwork for a bar called the 415 Club. WOW small world...

So far I've gone to a couple of local music forums and posted some info, and i've called some local music stores and got my name up in their stores. I'm probably going to stop by the Varsity and tigerland on the way home tonight just to see but I've put my name up in enough places that I should hear something by the end of the weekend.

So how would I get in touch with Shatterbox? or that guy Matt?

4. MagiusTheGrey

MagiusTheGrey IncGamers Member

I wish i could tell you how to get in touch with Matt. I havent heard from him in close to four years, and i really dont even know if that band is still playing together.

As far as what youve done, theres not a whole lot more i can recommend to you. Aside from getting your name out at music stores and some of the clubs you can play at, the only other thing you can do is go to lots of concerts around and talk to the guys that play. See if they know anyone. Other than that, i really cant tell you a whole lot. One other thing you could do that i just thought about is try and get on the 93.7 radio program. I think every sunday night, they play local music from Baton Rouge bands kinda like the one you were in. See if you can get some of your old stuff on there and try and get em to advertise you as a guy looking for a new band.

5. Hippie Holocost

Well the only problem with that is I want to distance myself from this disaster of a band as quick as possible, because at this rate, just being known to play with these people could very well hurt my reputation as a professional player. But thanks for the help anyway!

6. Diminished

Diminished IncGamers Member

Nice to see another working bass player on the forums. :thumbsup:

Greetings. :howdy:

7. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Go to mxtabs.com then go to their forums. They have a section where you can ask if they're any bands looking for new players.

Oh and BASS PLAYERS UNITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Hippie Holocost

HEHE, I love being a Bass player, theres never enough of us...

I have been looking for bands to play with for about 10 hours now, and so far I have three bands interested.... hehehe :yep:

So what type of rig do yall have? I have a Fretless Warwick Corvette...

9. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

I have a 4 string johnson, its just a wanna be fender p-bass. What I wanna get is a 4 string fender jazz, hopefully I can go out to guitar center this weekend and get one.

Hippie, I've heard from like 15 people that those basses are very good. I've thought of getting a fretless but I decided I want a jazz more.

Hippie, how do you like to play. Slap? Finger? Pick*shudders*? I wanna learn to slap but reading is kinda difficult so I'm gonna start getting lessons as soon as the bass guy calles me back.

10. Hippie Holocost

Warwicks are the bests basses I've ever played, and turning one into a fretless is simply angelic. They have this natural growl, also like a weak distortion, because of the special wood they use.....its just.....wow.....

However, if you like slapping DO NOT GET A FRETLESS!!!! It would be like trying to play piano with a hobo's teeth. ick..... Jazz is probably your best choice for slapping/all around playing. I used to have one (mexican though) and it did wonders, but I pretty much ended up playing with my warwick.

One suggestion, if you are really into slapping, you need to check out Ernie Ball, thats probably going to be my next type of bass (maybe a peavy, haven't really decided...) I think Ernie Balls have a more raw tone that is better for slapping. But don't expect to get a phat tone out of it, its more of a melody bass in my opnion....

Basically I play everything EXCEPT PICK!!!! I use mainly fingers, and am currently working on my 3-finger technique, so I can be a badass. :worship: But never picks, those are for guitars......

Oh and to set something straight with EVERYONE in the forum. NEVER call a Bass a guitar, a bass is NOT a guitar. IN FACT the bass is actually a descendent of the violin, the guitar evolved seperatly from the bass. Every that asks me what type of guitar I have gets a trout beating....

11. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Yeah I absolutly love the sound of a jazz bass. I don't like my p-bass because when I do try to slap it doesn't sound good but I've played a few jazz's and slapping sounds really good on them. Oh course I'm not very good at it, just kinda experiment so maybe thats why I don't get the defined tone I'm after. eh oh well. Just gotta practice practice practive.

12. Hippie Holocost

Yup, and if you want a good song to start with, I reccoment Higher Ground, the cover the Red Hot Chili Peppers did... Don't expect to learn all of it at once, but if you can get that pattern down, it will really help learing...

Heres a tab of the chords to do, if you don't know them already...

G------------------------------------------
    D-------2----------5------7----------------
    A------------------------------------------
    E--0-0----0---3-3----5-5------------------

There are a thousand things you can do that variate off of that basic pattern

13. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

I'll try that out tommorow. I've been meaning to learn that song because I've heard in bass forums thats a good starter song. Now you've reminded me!

14. Riegn

Riegn IncGamers Member

Nice to see a few bass players in here. Playing music, having fun and getting paid, cant beat it. Cant really comment on your band search but I have a better idea then looking for a band. Work for yourself. Iv been playing for 10 years now and have a variety of artists I play for. This way you get more exposure, gigs and for the working musician cash. (I do however play in a band and that takes my priorities)

Equipment wise I have a Yamaha RBX 270F (fretless) I have owned a few American Jazz basses and even had a Warwick Thumb on loan but personally I love this Yamaha. I also own a customized Alvarez Acoustic bass amazing bass. But the bass I really want totry is a Modulus. Man I love those things. Sound I use a Yorkville 400Combo. loud enough for anything I do

Oww and Hippie I acually prefere the sound of my slaps and pops on my frettless :) If I can find it there is a fellow on MX who has a recording of the first minute and a bit of ClassicalThump recorded on a fretless

Owww and Canadia142 Aeroplane is another good tune for a practise song.

15. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Knee bases ARE base guitars. Regular bases are the stand up ones, which evolved from the viola. Bass guitars and 6 string guitars are both guitars.

When someone says "guitar" they obviously mean six string, but a knee base is still part of the "guitar" family, if you will; so is the banjo.

16. Hippie Holocost

No you fool, the knee bass came from the standup bass, the way they evolved was through jazz and blues, where you saw the first real meeting of bass and guitar combos... then the bass fell on its side, thats it....still more related to the violin than the guitar..