Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Basic tips on untwinked gem/rune/jewel management?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by sequoia, Apr 18, 2008.

1. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

Basic tips on untwinked gem/rune/jewel management?

I've got little to no experience with untwinked play, so unlike on bnet - I actually have to save gems and runes and jewels because I'll never know when I might need them...

On that note, anyone have basic rules of thumb to follow? I have a million chips and flaws that I'm not sure if I should cube up, or if I should be keeping at all, the same with jewels. Runes aren't an issue too much, though.

2. Genraek

Genraek IncGamers Member

Re: Basic tips on untwinked gem/rune/jewel management?

I tend to cube everything up, but I'm new to SP too, no real reason to keep em low.

3. Ikeren

Ikeren IncGamers Member

Most people only keep Standard, Flawless, and cube to perfect. Some don't even bother with standard gems.

In terms of runes, lots of people pick up every one, and a few keep only Ral + or Sol+.

Jewels are generally kept for crafting, or if they have good mods (Resist all, FHR, Lower Reqs, ED). I keep all jewels - I find they accumulate slower than crafting runes/pgems, especially when I hell-forge rush. I only keep standard gems or higher, and all runes.

4. Eredian

Eredian IncGamers Member

Remember you need chippies and flawed gems a lot if you want to cube up your runes. Personally, I always keep my chipped and flawed gems for that purpose since it takes a lot of them to get perfect gems and you get stuck with tons of thuls/amns after a few countess runs unless you have some chipped topaz/amethyst to get to the higher runes (very nice to get some hels for unsocketing etc.)

5. scottee

scottee IncGamers Member

QFT.

I recently ran through better than 50 chipped topaz cubing Thuls to Amns for a trafe in the SPTF. I still ended up short of what I needed. Generally, I think it's better to wait to cube stuff up until you need it. I do make an exception for flawless-> pgems, since I know that I'm not going to need many (if any? we'll see) for cubing runes, and I do want pgems for charm rerolling.

6. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

What I do is pick up a bunch of gems as I quest through A1/A2 normal. Once a higher grade starts to drop regularly, I mule the lower grade gems into my "imperfect gems" stash. Repeat until you're only picking up flawless gems, and cube those to perfect.

7. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

thank god I had 300+ stash with just chippeds and flawed gems. Were needed when I cubed my runes to Ohm (got the CTA yei!)

but basically, keep flawless and cube them to pgems. Also, keep those junk jewels also, you will need those for crafting or trading them for crafter. I've used about 500 of those for my crafts.

8. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

I keep chippies for the vast recipes they appear in, the rest I cube up to pgems.

I don't cube runes anymore, just keep them and use as needed.

---

It's all personal choice, if you use ATMA as an extended stash might as well save em all, otherwise cube what you don't want to save for specific recipes.

9. Espr

Espr IncGamers Member

I pick up all gems, runes, and jewels.

I keep about 10-15 chippies at any given moment (in an atma stash) for cubing runes and such, as well as ~5 flawed. Everything else I cube up. In the early game (before you get the cube) I sometimes vendor chippies to make room in my stash, as I hate constantly fighting to find room for things (or having to keep things I want to mule off on the ground in town).

Runes, I keep ~10 El, Eld, and Tir. The rest I cube up to Nef. After that I generally keep everything as is, unless I need a particular rune, and I will occasionally cube higher runes to garner more crafting or oft-used runes.

Jewels I keep usable items in a socketing stash, and junk jewels in a crafting stash.

10. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

After I'm certain that my untwinked characters no longer have a need for chippies (e.g. I won't need them to cube-spawn a cruel elite weapon); I like to use them to reroll junky magic wands/scepters/staves. Each reroll has a very good chance of turning a worthless item into 35K vendor gold.

11. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Actually some of the most unique claws in the game are made by recipe only.

If you're looking for strong +skills & +staffmods rerolling with chippies is a good way to increase your chances.

12. OldSoldier

OldSoldier IncGamers Member

IW, please forgive my newbie question here, but aren't the prefixes "Warrior's" or "Massive" the best %ED modifiers you can get with the chip recipe?

13. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

No, it depends on the weapon type. Or more accurately, it's ilvl (which is 25 after a chip reroll.) I have scored multiple elite cruels with chippie rerolls, for example hydra bows and war pikes, each with two sockets. However, a thresher can only spawn Ferocious IIRC. There's a link explaining this but I don't have it handy, sorry.

14. OldSoldier

OldSoldier IncGamers Member

Wayne, you've spurred me on to find it though, here.

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=473052

You know, I never understood that qlvl stuff and what it really meant until now. That's it, I'll be keeping tournament chips from now on... I've always struggled with getting good merc weapons.