Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Basic (n00b) questions! Mostly amazon and gameplay related.

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Alecz, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

Basic (n00b) questions! Mostly amazon and gameplay related.

First I want to say that this is officially my 1st post. I have been playing Diablo since it came out, but only single player (no realm).

I recently re-started to play, and I really wanted to play a javazon, mostly poison based. My main focus has always been the skill/stat points, since equipment was always so unpredictable, and in SP there is no trading anyway.

When I restarted I decided to read some guides about javazons, and I stumbled over the equipment sections: Titan's, annihilus, torch, some unique/uber gear seem to be almost a requirement. I had to seach internet databases to see what they were, hehe:rolleyes:.

It just seems that those guides are not really intended for people that want to start from scratch in SP for example. Is it because it's impossible to finish Hell in SP (full clears) with a javazon?:scratch: I kinda doubt it!

I mostly chose to play on realms for Uber Diablo and such, which are not available in SP, otherwise... SP is lag-free!

So, being such a n00b, by your standards, I have some questions:

1) How in the HELL do I get Titan's ??? I'm in Hell Act3 Clvl 79 (so lots of runs there with about 200 MF) and I haven't got Titan's dropped! Some guy online was nice enough to give me Demon's Arch, which is good, but for LF, and even PJ I would prefer Titan's. They're supposed to be very cheap (yeah, if you sell them to a merchant you get 35k for them, that's cheap indeed!)

2) How come everyone online teleports, casts BO, and has Auras (Fan) (even if thery're not Sorc, Barb, or pally), Ohh.... yeah Runewords... How come everyone has one of those Uber runewords? I was lucky to find a Lum Rune in NM, but apart from that all I have is under Dol. They were supposed to be rare, but everyone, high enough level has them (except me and most n00bs of course)

3) If i trade for Uber-gear, how do I know it's legit? (kinda rethoric question, not many ppl seem to care if they are legit or not, they just wanna be gods!)

4) Why is poison damage (and PJ for that matter) so underrated? Monsters heal a lot! and if you need to go to town to refresh, or pots, when you come back all monsters are healed.... usually. I made an experiement: I poisoned a group of monsters with PJ until they had about 1/2 HP. 15 min later they still had 1/2 HP. What's the deal? Honestly I haven't even noticed any monsters healing, since I always PJ, then get personal (w/ jab). People seem to have some trouble in Uber tristram where PMH doesn't work, how about poison?

5) On this thread:
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=344306&highlight=valk+gear

some dude (read Leohappy) posts some very interesting aspects about the Valkyrie... how did he get that info? I did notice a differnce in weapon appearance, so I guess she uses a spear, then pike (after lvl 7), but the rest? Also ppl say that Valkyries HP scale on difficulty and # of players... but I always see the same HP displayed in the skill info.

6) How come everyone has Annihilus charms (except n00bs like me, of course). I mean I haven't yet seen any "SoJ sold to merchants" messages yet, and then again, there's slim chances to get Diablo Clone, and again, is he gonna drop Anni 100% of the time? (kinda doubt that). And what's with the Soj frenzy? Cube recipies (which kinda suck) and currency. I've only seen a SoJ in D2C v1.1, and that's it! I also played quite a few hundred hours though...

Beside all this, this forum is pretty helpful, and it's good it has an abbreviation lists, although it took me 1 month to find out what AC was, hehe, you all probably know (except n00bs like me again).

This was kinda long post, but I should've registered months ago and post questions as i find them.

Cheers,

Alecz.

2. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

Re: Basic (n00b) questions! Mostly amazon and gameplay related.

Didn't see the edit button on this thread, so I had to post again. Another question:

Once you have the best equipement (say Titans, Stormshield, Chains of Honor, Etc, etc, all that uber gear + torch and Anni) from trades or whatever, since it's probably "not too expensive" what's the point of playing? what more MFing can you do once you got the best gear? Ohh yeah... PvP... well I really hate PvP cause i don't have Uber Gear that other ppl have... but apart from PvP??? What's the point?

Apparently ppl that have all that gear don't always know some basic things about the game, they just take build guides, trade the items, and get rushed to level fast to use the items... I find that kinda bizzare to say the least.

Still, don't foget, n00b here!

3. awilhelmscream

awilhelmscream IncGamers Member

It was a pretty big post :laugh:
    So tell me if I missed anything important.

1. Titans could be aqquired in a few ways:
    -Trades
    -The item fund thread on this forum
    -Someone nice giving you a set on bnet
    -You finding a set

Titans are at the end of the day a unique weapon so out of those options I'd say that finding your own set is probably the least likely (even less probable than someone nice on bnet :shocked:).
    You should be able to trade for a set using stuff you've found on those seemingly fruitless mf runs.

2. Skills outwith the character class could be provided by charges or +skills mods on equipment and runewords. Auras could also be a result of a merc.

3. The "uber gear" that you trade for will very rarely be legit, this is also true of the runes and runewords that you mentioned in your second question.

4. One reason why the Amazon's poison skills are sometimes overlooked by lots of users is simply because the alternative javelin skills- the lightning skills- are so effective.
    There are always people on the forums experimenting with builds that are new to them so don't be worried about being the only one. However, if you are coming back from a long absence and are somewhat out of practice it might be easier and more useful to you to try a more conventional build.

5. Yup your valk's equipment changes as you increase the skill level. That sort of stuff is pretty easy to read up on if you don't get it at the moment.
    It's debated and different for each build, but one common benchmark for valk level would be 17.

6. As with runewords and other desirable items, annis are duped.
    D Clone will always drop an anni and you will only get a walk if you are on a hot server.

**You should note that it is by no means neccessary to have the very best of equipment to play.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  4. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

thanks for the reply, it was quite informative, but some of the stuff i already knew.

Sad to hear that actually many of those ppl with goldlike complex have dupped/nonlegit gear. This just makes PvP not fair. In other words... it doesn't really matter who is a "better" player, but who has better gear. In SP it's relatively easy to hack a character, or you could even download lvl 99 chars of the internet that are virtually gods! and one-hit-kill bosses. Sounds like Realm is not far from it. But them the guides... they seem to encourage this, since they are not oriented towards regular play (use what you find).

In any case... with my javazon I have both max LF and Plague Jav, and... Plague helped me a lot (especially for lightning immune, lightning enhanced).

I know this is a rather unconventional build, but I enjoy it. And when I was going toe-to-toe with Diablo in NM with 297 Def.... it was fun to see I didn't need any pots :D Took a quite some time... but he couldn't heal.

Well... I guess I'll refrain from trading... I'd rather "do it myself" I would feel better overall.

One more thing: What are realm seasons? What happens? Everyone loses their chars, or what?

Thanks again!

5. BubbaHoTep

BubbaHoTep IncGamers Member

I'll start with your last question because it's easiest for me to see right now..

The realm seasons are a ladder system where the higher the level you are the higher on the ladder you are(the player with the most xp points is #1). The ladder chars are seperate from non-ladder and ladder play allows you to make certain runewords and i think find tems that are not available non-ladder. When a ladder season ends the characters become non-ladder and in theory a new ladder season begins. This however has happened maybe 4 times(?) in the 6-8 years I have been playing on battlenet.

Yes, many players rush to higher levels to use better gear. The appeal of this could be to pvp or to make a magic find character to find equipment for other characters to use while playing through the game. Some magic finding is done just for the sake of building a body of wealth (items). As for why to play once you have mastered a character and beaten hell baal, you can attempt reach lvl 99, or you can just enjoy slaughtering the minions of evil, personally I am a fan of the latter.

Anni's aren't always duped, my friend found a group awhile back that pools its SOJs (maybe duped I don't really know) and picks a specific server and then sells enough to spawn the diablo clone. I was able to get 4 legit anni's by finding a game on the right server.

Don't let all of the teleporting, BO'ing, 6 aura players get you down. If you enjoy psning diablo to death then cheers cause I've been there too.

6. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

Your answer is very encouraging. So from what I understand about the ladder once it resets there will be no uber gear available on ladder, so it's like everyone has to restart from scratch, but they still have their old characters, however they will not be able to mule items to newly ladder created characters.

When i was playing SP, after defeating Baal on Hell I would only look for items. This was also because i had no internet, so there was no way for me to know what items were available. But I agree with you... just killing the minions of evil is truly enjoyable. Reaching level 99 would be quite depressing... because basically you should retire your character:undecided:

I read somewhere that selling SoJ on realms is not gonna help Diablo clone to spawn. Also a while back I would see messages saying "245136 Stones of Jordan sold to merchants" I really doubt that number was accurate.

And about the right server... when do you connect to a different server, at the login screen? When you make a new game? when you join a new game? when you click on Battlenet multiplayer option?

Thanks again!

7. BubbaHoTep

BubbaHoTep IncGamers Member

Before you get too encouraged about a ladder reset keep in mind it happens VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY rarely.

When you create a new game it is put on a certain server (I believe its something like 1-163?) There is a way to check using the "Run" option in widows I think. It has been a long time and don't remember the commandyou need to type in.

As for selling SOJ's if I personally ever find/recieve one it will be going on my wind druid and never going near a vendor.

8. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

I would also rather keep the SoJ than sell them Especially since i have read somewhere long ago that selling your rings will not help at all to spawn diablo, and even like that...

Well thanks for the answers anyway.

9. HellPlayer

HellPlayer IncGamers Member

Check here: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=495535 , good dclone hunting guide stickied, just keep in mind you need a good char to kill dclone and a bowie whitout good gear will have problems.
    HellPlayer

10. Ugla

Ugla IncGamers Member

Check the SPF and its stickies. The build guides located there often focus on average players rather than elite gear users.

Titan's Revenge is quite achievable by SP standards, though I had some bad luck with it myself. NM or Hell Mephisto are suitable targets, once you build a sorceress for the purpose (very comfortable in SP with its static map). It takes just a few hours to take a new untwinked Blizzy from the scratch to NM Meph. Other classes (including zons) are less suited for the purpose, since they have to deal with the councils.

Otherwise, a decent amazon javelin with at least +2 skills and some IAS works almost as well. I have used this with my first ever javazon (back in 2004):

Yavanna's Bitter Nails
    Ceremonial Javelin
    Throw Damage: 21 to 63
    One-Hand Damage: 21 to 41
    Quantity: 80
    (Amazon Only)
    Required Dexterity: 109
    Required Strength: 25
    Required Level: 26
    Javelin Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 62
    Fingerprint: 0xb47ee047
    +18% Enhanced Damage
    +141 to Attack Rating
    Adds 1-4 fire damage
    5% Life stolen per hit
    30% Increased Attack Speed
    +3 to Mana After Each Kill
    +2 to Javelin and Spear Skills (Amazon Only)

LF/PJ javazon is relatively gear-independent, though you may have some hard time with Burning Souls in the very end of the game, if you ever meet any, that is. Never tried one myself, though I played both lightning and poison/melee version as separate chars.

Just a small remark, act bosses (Diablo etc.) never regenerate. Nevertheless, poison is a solid backup for LF (or the other way around if you prefer :wink3:). Good luck with your zon!

EDIT: I see Hrus and Dacar already directed you to the SPF.

As far as my guide is concerned, the "elite gear" part you mention is a part of the Baal-running section, which indeed deals with powerful gear options, i.e. you are looking too far ahead. Still, except for a few items, it's all Hell Meph class.

There is a separate section dedicated to untwinked progress including some basic demands and gear options. Read through it! Hrus added a list of items for twinked progress. Both these sections deal with questing. You seem to have read the guide from the end rather than from the start :grin:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  11. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

Let me guess on that javelin:
    Yavanna = your character name, from personalize quest

Bitter Nails = rather common name for rare item.

The + to skills and replenish quantity are the only things better on Titan's than what i use now (Demon's arch, donated by a friend).

It's true that for LF/PJ javazon + to skills are pretty much the only ones that increase damage in a meaningful way.

I'll also check out the SPF for more realistic guides!

And about monster's life regeneration... if I damage a group of monsters with poison, then i go back to town, make a sandwich, watch tv, whatever... when I come back they have about the same life as when I left them alone... why is this?
    Thanks for the info!

12. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

I have gone through the guide on SPF regarding my type of amazon.
    First, the following several fragments are a bit of criticism towards the guide, but that's just the way I see it. People new to Diablo world would pretty much stumble over the following gear section, and probably even be discouraged! The guide is still good for someone "rich" (whatever that means!) or who has all the equipment available.

Some sad quotes from the gear section which always frustrates me:

"Weapon
    Imo Titan’s Revenge is a must have weapon for a throwing Javazon..."

"Shield
    Stormshield (SS), hands down, is the shield of choice... The only time I’d say you shouldn’t use a SS is if you want to use a Shaftstop armor...
    ... As for other shields: Moser’s Blessed Circle... Spirit Ward... Steel Pillar... The Sanctuary Runeword (Ko+Ko+Mal) [anyone found these runes?]... Whistan’s Guard (Orphan’s Call set) can be a good early shield due to its insanely high block % [I would have recommended ancient's, then Rhyme, but I guess that would be to easy to get :azn:]

"Helm
    There are several good helm choices. My preference is Vampire Gaze... Other popular choices are Stealskull... Rockstopper... Tal-Rasha’s Mask... Like I said….plenty of choices [oh yeah they grow in trees]"

"..Some more options…Crown of Ages is awesome… but very rare. Harlequin’s Crest..." [oh yeah, I got a dozen of these]

"Belt
    ... many good belts out there... Thundergod’s Vigor..., Razortail and String of Ears (SoE)..."

The gloves sections I really liked :smiley: that's what I'm using!

"Armor
    A personal favorite is the Smoke runeword. (Nef+Lum) [I actually found a Lum:smiley:]... Bramble runeword (Ral+Ohm+Sur+Eth) [oh yeah... chances of Ohm and Sur dropping are very high!]...
    ... Update on armor: The main armor I left out was Shaftstop... Chains of Honor (Dol+Um+Ber+Ist) and Enigma (Jah+Ish+Ber)…. Skin of the Vipermagi [WOW I actually got the latter dropped from Diablo NM and put a PRuby in it:azn:]... Durial’s Shell ... And Tyrael’s Might [the latter is guaranteed to drop, right?]

"Amulet
    It’s hard to recommend Mara’s cause it’s pretty rare…." [joking right? good point though, I liked this part]

"Rings
    Raven Frost is a must imo. The Cannot Be Frozen... [Never got Raven frost dropped, but my 'lame' rhyme prevents me from getting frozen]... Manald Heal ... Dwarf Star ... [we all know that unique rings drop rather rarely comapared to other unique items]..."

The rest of the guide was to my liking since I can pretty much do what it says without too much trouble.

I was probably very critical and uncool but there are some things very easy to get and really help imo:

Weapon: one that gives + to skills (maiden/ceremonial jav), or imbue one of those! (i got one with life steal when imbuing!)

Armor: definety 3 socket breastplate for Normal and NM! Guatanteed to drop, put 3 PRuby (114 Life), or resists. Later in Hell you can get 4 socket armors, and you can easily get +30 res all, or make smoke if you find Runes!
    Other alternatives are: 2xRAL + 2xORT, and use potions for cold and poison resist when needed! Or you could have two armors, one with resists, and one with 152 life (4 pruby) and use them depending on the area.

Helm: gamble for circlets (they often spawn with +1 to amazon skills - I got one that gives +1 to amazaon, 19 res all, +18 dex, and I put a PRuby in there), or get a 2 socket helm and put RAL + ORT (for resists)

Shield: Ancients, Rhyme (shael drops pretty often), 3PD

Belt: you can generally buy one that gives life + 1 resist! (i bought one that gave 50 life and 27 fire resist, and one that gave 97 life)

Boots: FRW, or magic with Light resist, MF

Gloves: follow the guide's advice i got one with mana&life steal, and +2 passive, and +30 cold res

Rings and ammy: can cube ressist rings and ammy, but make sure to have life/mana steal

Inventory: Annihilus, and Infernal Torch! (just kidding, but many guides include this!) life and resist charms.

The equipment I quotes can be obtained by ANYONE! and it provides a reasonamble combination to go through! Of course people will very likely find gear better than above, but at least the above is guaranteed!

You'll probably say that is a very n00b perspective, but only the armor and belt could give +200 life which would compensate (more or less) for the DR in the SS, and also helps for resists. This saves points in Vita! Rhyme has more block, which saves some points in dex. For damage... LF and PJ are pretty much equip independent!

Give your thoughts on my thinking, and if you want I can make up a real guide with really common gear, and even test it on a hell baal run (once I get there).

13. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

Sorry for double (triple) posting, but i've read more guides, along with comments, and I just can't take it anymore!

All people talk about is uber gear. Questions like Lionheart vs Enigma vs Chains of Honor. And moreover many of them brag on how their char (twinked with ubergear) can beat the char from the guide.

This is simply unfair for us n00bs, that not only don't know what rich/poor means, but also don't know where to get all the uber gear. All this info I found on the SPF where my last hopes lied (& died).

It is simply frustrating to go on multiplayer hell and struggling through, then you have this guys saying "Il rush 4 forge". How the hell can he rush me when I'm struggling, and he's only 4 clvls higher? Simply frustrating... I'm out of my league on playing with other ppl :cry: it's just me and the monsters...

You guys were pretty nice to me, but... I think I shouldn't bother you anymore, I just can't compete with ppl that have all the uber equipment available to them!

I'll let you guys know if I'll finish hell on my own...

Sorry for the multiple post again.

14. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Alecz, I understand your criticism, but you just repeat yourself, I don't know what you want to hear.

Here are some options you have:
    1) Play like everyone on the BNet. Read the "how to get wealth" guide in Newcomer forum and start trading. You should get Titans for PGems.
    2) Play your way, untwinked play is harder and more challenging, you have the right to think about the rest of the community what you want, but repeated rants might offend some people.

Most players were in the same position as you. "I don't have these items, how can I get them?" They just build a character good at MF runs (or key runs or whatever) And with some work and patience they get the items they want/need for other characters. Now they enjoy their wealth (and laugh at noobs :grin:). And they make those uber guides.

BTW. I am sure that with some effort, I could get Titans in two weeks starting from scratch. It just requires creating a Blizzard sorc and run NM Mephisto for some time. With legit Infinity, well, it's another story.

15. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

Do you think Blizz sorc would be more effective than orb sorc?

Thanks for the tip... I might try that... even though I have about 100 PGems, I still don't have much luck finding someone to trade them :undecided:

As for infinity.... I'll just forget about it!

16. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

IMHO Blizz sorc is much more effective in Hell Difficulty and it's also a better act boss killer, in NM Frozen Orb will tear regular monsters into pieces with ease even with basic gear, but the damage is getting worse later, compared to Blizzard.

EDIT: Not sure about BNET Titans prize, but I have 18 of those in my stash along with 20 Thunderstrokes, so they are not uber rare.

17. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

100 pgems is already a few harlequin's crests... Not like a dozen or anything but still :wink3:

I also noticed how you're knocking your Rhyme shield... Don't you know the REAL 'noobs' are desperately desiring such a shield =)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  18. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

Getting gems is really nor a problem for me, cause I like to do full clears on NM and Hell, but the problem comes finding someone that is willing to trade titan's for gems, or other stuff (no uber runewords though)

I will probably end up finding them myself...

Oh, and the trading forum is interesting, but I find it hard to find a specific item, everything is just so mangled.

If Hrus got 18 in his stash... maybe I can get one by doing NM Countess - Meph - Diablo - Baal... I can't do this in Hell effectively... so NM is pretty much the only choice.

19. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

Until now I made 2 rhymes on my own, one grim shield (158 def, with the rest), and one pally crown shield that had 35 res all -> 60 res all on rhyme :smiley:

But one I made in NM and one in hell, I could have made about 2-3 more with the shaels i found... Still very unlikely to get shael before lvl 29, but if I made it... anyone can!:wink3:

20. alpinestars

alpinestars IncGamers Member

i take it that you are still playing on ladder, if it is east i can give you a set of titans for the right price. FREE. pm me if you need them