Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bashiok: armory for D3

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by kuangtu, Jul 14, 2011.

1. kuangtu

kuangtu IncGamers Member

Bashiok: armory for D3

I bet tons and tons of people will start to compare it with WOW again, but I think I will like this feature.

2. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

Re: Bashiok: armory for D3

WoW armory is great, so this is a good change for D3 fans.

3. fnaxqtr

fnaxqtr IncGamers Member

thats awesome, but i hope we arent able to see the skillbuilds of other people ;)

4. Exile

Exile IncGamers Member

We most likely will (?? - could go either way I guess). It was one of those things where if you were the top player it would suck having everyone spy on your build. If you were starting out, it was great to do the research.

5. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

absolutely horrible idea

hope they give you a way to opt out of inspection

6. sinned

sinned IncGamers Member

I used to be a strong opponent of such an inspection method. Now, I don't mind. It benefits the players overall.

7. ginotype

ginotype IncGamers Member

I'm fine with it...I would just like a little notification each time I am 'inspected.'

This way if someone repeatedly inspects you, you can be like :lol2:

8. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

What don't you like about it?

9. cacophony

cacophony IncGamers Member

W/ no gear binding, you're going to get nosy hagglers trying to bargain you out of the clothes on your back. Imagine coming home w/ no pants and shoes, and the wife asks "What happened to your pants and shoes?" and you go "I traded them for this great gem!" Then she's all like "You idiot! You don't even like those stats! And your pants and your shoes had more of that stat anyway! I'm staying at my sister's caravan for awhile while you think about how stupid you've been."

Don't let some power trader talk you out of your pants!

10. ginotype

ginotype IncGamers Member

Very good point.

Commence 15 year olds scamming 10 year olds...

"Yo bro, this gem is like...like uhhhhhh, I guess if you trade me all your gear I can let you have it...but bro, don't tell anyone because this is like Tyrael's gem, ya it basically adds a flying ability to any char...I just don't need fly for my Wizard right now and you seem like you could really use it"

...I mean I used to do this kind of **** with Pokemon cards back in the day. Never knew how to play the game, just wanted to accumulate the best cards. I was pretty good at it too hehe. :greedy:

11. slingblade

slingblade Banned

Good; letting you inspect others as well as providing a central database for characters and loot was one of the more awesome things WoW did.

12. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

The idea is great, I really liked the Armory in WoW and the inspect feature in general. The possibility to see others equipment in detail and their talent build often gave me ideas about my own characters. While playing the game and reading the official forums I have seen the not so positive side-effects of this feature though.

On the forums your reasoning in arguments were often dismissed if your builds deviated from the accepted optimal builds (or at least from what the "pros" considered to be the optimal build), just because you "obviously" didn't know how things worked. Same with win / lose ratios in PvP.

It created problems in the game too, where in instances the people who got used to facerolling content often left your group after inspecting everyone, just because with your gear level it would have taken an extra 3-5 minutes to clear the dungeon compared to what he was used to. This made it harder to find groups, especially while you were still gearing up. Granted, this won't be a serious problem in D3, because there are no strict class roles, but it's not a good experience for players when some idiot is contantly telling how you "messed up" your character just because he doesn't approve of some little detail.

Sadly, these weren't isolated incidents and if you weren't playing with your friends it could make the game a lot less enjoyable sometimes. I would like to stress, that I really like the possibility of seeing what others did with their characters, and wish that this feature will be included in D3 eventually, but really hope that the community will act more grown-up than what I saw in WoW.

13. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

Can someone explain what a WoW armory is? From the sound of things it's a place you go to see what someone else is using.

If so I don't really care. I was never big into PvP, but if I was I'd be a little ticked. If they see exactly what kind of resistances you have then they know what skills to hit you with for the best damage and such.

Also the idea of people asking to buy your gear is kind of annoying. We'll have to see how it goes.

14. Ellihs

Ellihs IncGamers Member

Yeah I remember some of the cries about inspection/armory awhile back, I never really cared, I'd prefer it in

15. Moonfrost

16. Spens

Spens IncGamers Member

The only downside to an armory is that it allows copying builds much easier. People might more inclined just to use the build of a successful PvPer than to think of their own.

17. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

That ugly thing stole my name? That bastard!!

I don't know I guess it's an ok feature. Though I think people will use it for harassment. "You're still using item X? lol noob!" and such.

Had someone say that to me once in a cow run. Admittedly I was wearing a normal unique on a level 80+ character but still. I had fun with it though cause I was killing mobs of cows while he struggled with just a few.

18. cacophony

cacophony IncGamers Member

But in all seriousness, JUST SAY NO TO GEARSCORE.

19. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

This is certainly true, but if the respec system will be set up in a way that it will cost high level characters lots of gold to change their skills and whatnot then players won't be inclined to do it, especially if items, gemming and traits will be integral to builds too, just like skills and runes. It could cost a pile of money to change all this.

The fact that a build may not suite everyone is also worth taking into consideration. A build can be the best mathematically for a purpose, but if you're uncomfortable playing with it, then it may not be the best for you.

20. Moonfrost