Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bash Barb for fun?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by stupidgreen, Apr 5, 2004.

1. stupidgreen

stupidgreen IncGamers Member

Bash Barb for fun?

Hey all,

I was thinking about making a fun character to rush people with through normal that doesn't use any weapons -- a punching barb. Mostlikely I'll use Bash as my main attack. Question is, can I rush anyone with this build, or am I going to be the slowest killer ever...

Thanks

2. Baboon

Baboon IncGamers Member

I have seen some barbs using bare hands during some baal runs, so maybe it's possible. Then again, they could be just leaching ;)

3. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

There is a display bug where other players sometimes cannot see your weapon if you rely on +strength gear to equip it (maybe it's only +strength from charms, i'm not entirely sure). So unless you asked him and confirmed that he had no weapon, I'd guess it was just this bug.

As for the punchbarb, it sure sounds like fun, but you'd probably have to have some elemental damage or other damage charms to be effective.

Edit: Non-weapon items that add to damage such as Bloodfist and War Traveler will probably help a lot.

4. Jeda

Jeda IncGamers Member

yes you will be the slowest killer ever, but that's not a problem, because, as you said yourself, you are building a fun char. So go untwinked and don't rush, and try how far you can get.

On the rushing others part: A funchar usually doesn't have any purpose, but if your barb really gets strong enough to kill guys like Dia, then why not using him for rushing...

Also, if you rush someone else with your barb, he might realize that playing without rush isn't much slower after all :)
    That or he might look for another rusher...

I think what you've seen is that display bug, if a character doesn't have enough base str/dex for his equipment (only able to use because +str on items). In this case, the item will not be displayed for other players

edit: Wow I was 6 minutes slower than Oscuro... Seems my posting speed defenitly sucks tonight

5. Unsane

Unsane IncGamers Member

Barbs should have Fist Mastery. Gloves would then add dmg like weapons (only if no weapons were wielded). ..perhaps in the next patch.. right after hell freezes.. and Baal retitles himself as Baal - Bored of Destruction. :teeth:

6. LittlerBeaver

LittlerBeaver IncGamers Member

question:
    Ive never really made a beserk barb but i hear they do magical dmg....maybe this would work with the punch barb. (or is the magical dmg based on the physical dmg?)

7. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

Yes, berserk does depend on your physical damage, but converts it to pure magic damage.

8. Starseed

Starseed IncGamers Member

Always thought it sucked the never implimented any kind of knuckles or anything of the sort, really.

9. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

The best way forward with a punching character is probably to look for items with "crushing blow" if you want to be somewhat effective.

Bash is a very cool spell. When I first got D2, I made a barbarian and I put 7 pts into bash and 3 into leap, 4 pts into double-swing. Then my friend told me that the skills later on were way better.

Man, I had so much fun back then.

[edit] Continuing from the "puncher" concept, they should add in a new glove class called Brass Knuckles or something.

10. Cambios

Cambios IncGamers Member

There are a number of excellent mods that have gauntlets that provide damage modifiers for punching.

11. Youma

Youma IncGamers Member

If you want a puncher viable in early hell, go tesladin!