Baseball and Softball Axed from 2012 Olympics

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Baseball and Softball Axed from 2012 Olympics

linky

cnn.com said:
Baseball axed from London Olympics

Friday, July 8, 2005; Posted: 8:18 a.m. EDT (12:18 GMT)

SINGAPORE -- London will stage a reduced Olympic Games in 2012 after baseball and softball were wiped from the program in a controversial vote on Friday.

London's showpiece will now feature 26 sports rather than 28.

This came after after International Olympic Committee members rejected proposals to replace the axed sports with two from rugby sevens, golf, squash, karate and roller sports.

Baseball and softball failed to win a majority of votes in a ballot of members at the IOC Session and became the first sports to be cut from the Games since polo in 1936.

IOC members went through seven rounds of voting to decide which two of the five would-be Olympic sports should be put up for a vote to give them Olympic status.

Having selected squash and karate, the members then overwhelmingly rejected their bids to join the Olympic program.

The last Olympics to be staged with just 26 sports was Atlanta in 1996.

Although London will have two less sports than Beijing in 2008, it is expected the IOC will tweak the program of events and boost numbers among the events so the Games will be no smaller than Beijing's.

"It's entirely a matter for the IOC. We're delighted to deliver a Games with 26 sports," said London 2012 communications director Mike Lee.

"There will be some savings through not having temporary venues in Regents Park but it is not a major consideration.

"We will deliver the Games the IOC want."

Lee said Regents Park will now likely be used to stage cultural events during the Games period.

In 2002 the IOC capped the number of sports at an Olympic Games at 28, the number of events at 301 and the number of athletes at 10,500.

At that same session in Mexico City, IOC president Jacques Rogge proposed that baseball, softball and modern pentathlon be dropped, and golf and rugby union added. However, IOC members resisted and no vote was taken.

"This is payback for Mexico City," a visibly shocked softball federation chief Don Porter said after his sport's rejection. "They wanted us out in 2002. It has taken them three years but they have got us.

"We didn't expect this at all. The discussions we have had all week led us to believe we were safe to assume the program would remain unchanged for 2012.

"I don't want to say it's an anti-U.S. thing, but they are two native American sports."

Baseball federation president Aldo Notari said: "The problem with baseball is that the best players are not going to the Olympics Games.

"But baseball is still in Beijing. It is still necessary to work for the future in 2016," the Italian added.

Rogge urged the two sports not to lose heart. "Needless to say, these sports will be disappointed," he said. "But this does not disqualify them forever.

"Olympic sports they are in Beijing, and Olympic sports they will remain. As such they will remain eligible for the Olympic program after 2012."

The sports program for 2016 will be voted on after the 2008 Beijing Games.

Once again all Olympics sports -- including softball and baseball who do not lose their status -- will be put to a vote one-by-one.

IOC members were shocked by the ejections. "I am very surprised," German member Thomas Bach said. "I did not expect this."

Australian Olympic Committee chairman John Coates was saddened by the result. "I'm shocked and disappointed. It is very sad to lose two of our member sports.

"Problems with doping in U.S. baseball probably cost the sport dearly. Softball was a bigger shock especially with the push within the IOC to further increase women's participation in the Olympics."
An interesting decision. I guess no more Jennie Finch. :(

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
People act like baseball is just a US thing. Most of the top players in the majors come from Latin America, and Japan has quite a league over there too. But I will agree that there are not enough high quality players playing in the olympics.

In that article, it mentions that the games the IOC wants will be played, and never makes one mention of the fans. I guess the guys in charge forgot that sports are supposed to entertain, both the player and spectator.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
I think the writer of the article knew someone somewhere would say something about it being anti-US, and you knew that he was going to include it. I wasn't really surprised by the baseball, but the softball decision was a little shocking.

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
PatMaGroin said:
In that article, it mentions that the games the IOC wants will be played, and never makes one mention of the fans. I guess the guys in charge forgot that sports are supposed to entertain, both the player and spectator.
the obvious way to respond is to not watch the olympics, not that I was going to anyways, didn't really miss the Sydney games and were there olympics last year? I don't remember, Athens or something?

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
Baseball is about the only thing I would watch as far as the olympics are concerned.

Anyone hear about the World Cup the MLB is trying to put on sometime after this season? Something like 16 teams, everyone representing their home country. They're supposed to announce it the night of the Home Run Derby, which is also broken down to countries. Instead of Al vs NL, they're having some of the top hitters represent their home countries.

Matt

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
PatMaGroin said:
Baseball is about the only thing I would watch as far as the olympics are concerned.

Anyone hear about the World Cup the MLB is trying to put on sometime after this season? Something like 16 teams, everyone representing their home country. They're supposed to announce it the night of the Home Run Derby, which is also broken down to countries. Instead of Al vs NL, they're having some of the top hitters represent their home countries.
Hmm... I had not heard of that, but it sounds intresting. I cant wait to hear more about this :)

Rius666

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm also interested in seeing how this Baseball World Cup will turn out. The reason that most of our baseball players don't go to the summer olympics is because it's right in the middle of baseball season and the same will be true for the baseball world cup. We will most likely send the top prospects from the minors, just like we do with the olympics. Not really sure about details on this one.

As for the Home Run Derby change i think this link will help.

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually MLB is putting on the World Cup from what I hear. Meaning it will be after the season, and the players might have a little incentive to play.

EDIT: Just found this on SI.com.

If you don't feel like reading it, it basically says that the IOC will give baseball and softball another chance in 2009, when the two sports can appeal. The article says that one major reason the two sports were cut is because of steroids and major players not competing, which are probably linked, in my opinion. Now that the MLB actually has SOME kind of anti-doping process, more MLB players may play, simply because there is not the risk of steroid connections. If that were true, then it suggests that perhaps baseball's steroid problem was way bigger than MLB cared to admit.

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer
It's too bad they axed baseball and softball. It is also too bad that they allowed professional players to polay. Olympic basketball will never be the same. Sure, the so called "dream team" was good. But the Olympics is supposed to be about amatuer players getting recognized, not about professionals being arrogant or showing off.

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
I always thought that the Olympics should promote sport, and the best of the best at that. If it's amateurs, great. If it's pros, go with them.

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer
Johnny said:
Mayby there is room now for some real sports like midget tossing and log throwing.

lol! They could try watermelon seed spitting, too! Or coin tossing.

Rius666

Diabloii.Net Member
Steel_Avatar said:
I always thought that the Olympics should promote sport, and the best of the best at that. If it's amateurs, great. If it's pros, go with them.
I agree with steel here. The olympics is suppose to be a time where ANY athlete, amateur or pro, has a chance to represent his/her country. And the athletes that get chosen should be the best of the best if they are going to go represent your country. It's like the World Cup; the U.S.'s "professional" soccer teams are mostly a joke but they can still proudly represent their country against the pros from Europe/Latin America. Btw didn't they make it to like the semi's last world cup?

Ash Housewares said:
we need timeless classics like Hold 'em.
Man that would be kick ass...Can you imagine the representation? Almost every country could be represented equally. You get the likes of Harrington, Brunson, Ivey, and many others for the U.S., Scotty Ngyuen for Thailand, John Juanda for Indonesia, not to mention a whole slew of European players such as the "Devilfish", Matias Andersson, etc. All playing for not just fame, money, but for glory for their country...*tear*

txmielnik

Diabloii.Net Member
Baseball

First of all there is already to many sports at the olympics. They should only include world sports( ie sports that most countries have heard of) I don't think baseball should be in the olympics since only 10 countries actually play it, and out of those only maybe 6 can put together a championship team. Lot's not think i'm picking on baseball, i would also love to see beach volley taken off the olympic schedule, we already have indoor volleyball.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd be willing to bet that most countries have heard of baseball. Or rugy for that matter. Without looking it up can you tell me who won medals in baseball last summer olympics?

Beowulf

Diabloii.Net Member
PatMaGroin said:

Bah hockey has been doing that since the '70s. From what I have read so far it might not work in baseball as too many players are not interested saying they do not want to get hurt, especially hockey.

Rius666

Diabloii.Net Member
txmielnik said:
First of all there is already to many sports at the olympics. They should only include world sports( ie sports that most countries have heard of) I don't think baseball should be in the olympics since only 10 countries actually play it, and out of those only maybe 6 can put together a championship team. Lot's not think i'm picking on baseball, i would also love to see beach volley taken off the olympic schedule, we already have indoor volleyball.
Actually i would say baseball is a very international sport. Of course it's not on the scale of soccer but many people play baseball throughout the world: the U.S., all of Latin America, Korea, Japan, and even Australia. Although maybe only 10-15 countries play baseball those countries are located on 4 of 6 continents (didn't count Antartica). I would venture to say that close to at least 500 million people watch baseball/are baseball fans, which is a pretty good number.

As for the argument that other countries might not be able to put up competative teams vs the US i don't think thats true. Many of the our best players come from countries such as Japan, Korea, and Latin america. If the players currently playing in MLB chose to represent the country that they came from it would be a very interesting matchup. Which is why I'm really lookin forward to the Baseball World Cup.

Basically it's a well known sport, well liked sport, and played throughout the world by many and that's why i think it should be part of the olympics.

Johnny

Banned
Rius666 said:
I would venture to say that close to at least 500 million people watch baseball/are baseball fans, which is a pretty good number.
Thats a pretty steep figure considering thats one in 12 people world wide. Considering peoples age. Thier country and financial status would be a very generous number. To bellive that half a billion people on earth are "fans" of baseball.

FrozenHavoc

Diabloii.Net Member
Man that would be kick ass...Can you imagine the representation? Almost every country could be represented equally. You get the likes of Harrington, Brunson, Ivey, and many others for the U.S., Scotty Ngyuen for Thailand, John Juanda for Indonesia, not to mention a whole slew of European players such as the "Devilfish", Matias Andersson, etc. All playing for not just fame, money, but for glory for their country...*tear*
But would they play? The game is about the glory and money! :thumbsup:

o.o