Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Baron Brug

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Disco-neck Ted, May 9, 2005.

1. Disco-neck Ted

Disco-neck Ted The Dark Library

Baron Brug

Had some fun recently going back to the beginning and playing a barb all the way through Classic 1.00. He was surprisingly fragile throughout most of the game (probably because of my choice to use a spear from the word go- not recommended), and even after acquiring the WW skill in late NM tended to whirl away from the monsters, or oblliquely at best.

Brug made Baron at lvl 50, and now his pike/WW cuts through most packs of beasties in a single whirl. He's much more durable and I'm proud to say his final damage is higher than RTB's 1.10 sacrifice paladin at lvl 10: ~180-800. :rolleyes:

This "version" was quite challenging and entertaining. Endgame gear included Hand of Broc and Irathas Coil/Tarnhelm and a stack of blue or rare items. One annoying thing was not being able to get a decent 16-slot belt.

Cheers to Flan who was going through the same experience, and thanks to all with useful advice (like whoever mentioned that De Seis' thieving ability can crash the game while whirlwinding).

It was an exercise in patience at first, especially since blizz didn't feel the need to have ED% on a lot of unique weapons. Razotine was gambled early on and was fairly fast for a spear, but a quick experiment in act III norm showed that Khalim's Will was much more effective, even without a point in mastery.

Memorable events include the 4 hours it took to clear Tal's Tomb in NM using leap attack (which was an absolute godsend after bash and concentrate) and the unbelieveable proliferation of maggots in Coldworm's burrow.

Other interesting observations: shrines last a usefully long time and BO resets your life/mana every time you use it. The crafting recipes are all funky and the only ones that would work were 2 topazes (any quality) + 1 ring (crappy by definition) = lightning resist ring. Gem drops are soooo freaking rare outside of the hellforge (and only go up to "normal" quality- no flawless) that it took the entire game to get 6 p gems, so cubing prismatic amulets with a good second mod is almost impossible. Three rejuves will not cube into a full rejuve, but 3 mana pots + 3 health pots + 1 gem = full rejuve.

One other exciting find is that it appears that +max or +min damage on a weapon is added to the base damage, which is then multiplied by ED% (if any). So a rare with Kings and Merciless prefixes and some +min and +max (20 is the upper limit, I believe) would do a buncha harm.

Brug is about to hit 56th level after running the RoF several times for gambling money. Btw, dual leech rings also seem to be creatures of myth.

2. Feceset

Feceset IncGamers Member

Wow congrats Disco-neck Ted :thumbsup:

How long did it take you to get to each level of the tiers of skills (6, 12, 18, etc)

I was considering doing the same, except I was going to do a Necro with CE a Blood Golem, and Amp Damage.

I've heard things about 1.00 CE, and I want to see them..

3. corax

corax IncGamers Member

congrats on t3h baron von barb :D

i thought the dual leech rings only came in in 1.03 to 1.06?

4. Disco-neck Ted

Disco-neck Ted The Dark Library

Hah, that's amusing if true (me = clueless) since Brug gambled at least 30 or 40 rare rings. Really addictive it is, the kill-hork-sell-gamble cycle. Luckily I didn't go into 1.00 with an itinerary other than just to play, so the lack of dual-leechers (for whatever reason) is fine with me. Mana leech certainly could spawn on rings, though.

Ooh, almost forgot to mention, there are no PIs in 1.00. :thumbsup:

As for reaching different skill tiers... hard to recall, but Brug was lvl 9 at the outer cloister WP and lvl 20 at the end of act II (with massive levelling along the way). Lvl 24 was reached in Act IV norm, and lvl 30 in NM Lower Kurast. Leap Attacking through the flayer jungle was fun and challenging, but definitely "one mistake" territory: the place was absolutely teeming with life and leaping into a pack of flayers/winged nightmares bunched together (while aiming for the edge, of course) could prove fatal.

It was fun and interesting overall. Brug still sees playtime in the rotation with other chars, and it isn't because he's MFing. :lol: