Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Barbarians Weapon Decision

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheDancinZealot, Sep 2, 2006.

1. TheDancinZealot

TheDancinZealot IncGamers Member

Barbarians Weapon Decision

So I first thought whether this should be in the Barbarian thread, but decided everyone here is knowledgeble, and it will be easier to answer due to your experience with single players D2...

That said, my question is what weapon mastery I should use with my Concentrate Barbarian. in case that term is ambiguous (I am new to this site) it is specialized in Battle Orders, Shout, Concentrate (imagine that) and the weapon mastery itself. My present aim is 156 strength if i choose to use (or actually get my hands on) stormshield. 222 dexterity to make said stormshield block well (and add other valuable features) and the rest to vitality.

My question then is which mastery would be best. While I have played barb far too often, and almost always chose sword, I have never played very far into the game (at most through nightmare) and have hence not seen much of the "high-level" gear. What therefore is the best for my character? Oh, and if it is even considered, no pole-arms 1) because they are stupid, and 2) cause my merc is greedy and wants all the good ones...

Any other advice would be good too : )

Now, how was that incredibly complicated explanation for such an easy question ?

p.s. please note that I also have little xp with the unique items, and since I play sp solely exclusivly, my odds of getting one of them is very slim, so the best "weapon class" is a general thing, and should not be decided based on that one sweet axe/sword/shotgun that I will never get...:cry:

2. Dark Sword

Dark Sword Banned

This one is tough, well basically look in your atma stash (if you use atma) and look for the weapon that you like that has high damage and is one hander in your case and use that mastery.

3. RedArchon

RedArchon IncGamers Member

ebotd zerker :laugh:

But seriously, swords and axes are your best bet. I prefer axes myself. It's really just a personal choice unless you have a really awesome weapon already. Just pick the mastery that matches it and roll with it.

4. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

If you don't know what you will be using at the end, you can just plan to max out the mastery last. You might be able to find some barb helms with +different weapon masteries to help with your AR as you are leveling and give you some flexibility. Hopefully by the time you have everything else maxed out, you will have some weapons to choose from.

My personal vote for the best conc weapon is an upgraded Ribcracker, but that would put a damper on the stormshield. Of course, you are probably more likely to find a Ribcracker than a Stormshield. :wink3:

5. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

I vote for using a Ribcracker and Mace Mastery... especialy if you have the runes to upgrade it and a socketing quest for a Shael.

6. RedArchon

This doesn't sound like a bad idea. AFAIK the concbarb guide suggests maxing your mastery last. All though it assumes you've atleast put some points here and already got a general idea of which one you want to select.

Angelic combo + blessed aim merc should give you a nice chunk of AR aswell.

7. TheDancinZealot

TheDancinZealot IncGamers Member

Alright, sounds like some good advice (i realize the question is general, so the answers must be as well :wink: )

I was indeed planning on doing the mastery last, as Concentrate gives enough of an AR boost to keep me in the 80's on even the toughest, and most in the 90's, so it really doesn't make much sense to do masterys early (plus the fact that it just seems far too lame to waste a good level on something so boring...:grin: )

Axes are likely the key...played swords too often....I had just read some random poster saying axes sucked, so I wanted to make sure this was not the case, and it seems as if said poster was just a moron:thumbsup:

Thanks!

8. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I would personally take maces, because elite unique maces are the strongest group imho (baranar's - fast with elemental damage, nord's - fast with freeze, Horizon's fast with slow, Stormlash - fast with SF, Stone Crusher - slow but great damage and CB, Schaeffer's slow, but great damage and SF, and also Haeven's Light, Redeemer come under mace mastery)
    You can also use a crafting recipe for maces...

You should also consider what runewords you will be able to use, Black is one of the good one for maces, but some other good mid-runewords don't work with them...

9. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

i also say that mces would be the best choice, the black runeword is a very nice choice with its large cb and you should be able to get the rune easy enought, ribby as nice choice as well but if you want mb its not an option (its 2 handed). irc i think you 193 dex for max block with storm sheild.

10. RedArchon

No, he's got it right. It's 222 dex for max block with SS.

11. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

that must be for leval 99 because on my barb i have storm sheild and with 197 dex and i have max block (hes lvl 83)

12. RedArchon

You're probably right then.