Barbarian Merc Advice for a Sorc.

Dark Matter

Diabloii.Net Member
Barbarian Merc Advice for a Sorc.

I made a Sorc this weekend - and she's the first one to make it to NM :cool:

I decided that I am going to use a Baba rather than the usual Act II Merc.

Carys is 45 now, Damien 44. I'd like some advice on what I should equip Damien with.

ATM I have just given him:
Code:
Arreat's Face
Slayer Guard
Defense: 355
Durability: 29 of 55
(Barbarian Only)
Required Strength: 118
Required Level: 42
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: **
Fingerprint: 0x5fe9727e
+20 to Strength
+20 to Dexterity
+194% Enhanced Defense
All Resistances +30
5% Life stolen per hit
+2 to Barbarian Skill Levels
30% Faster Hit Recovery
20% Bonus to Attack Rating
+2 to Combat Skills (Barbarian Only)

Shaftstop
Mesh Armor
Defense: 667
Durability: 37 of 45
Required Strength: 92
Required Level: 38
Item Level: 86
Fingerprint: 0x61b22651
+60 to Life
+212% Enhanced Defense
+250 Defense vs. Missile
Damage Reduced by 30%

and 

The Vile Husk
Tusk Sword
One-Hand Damage: 29 to 108
Two-Hand Damage: 55 to 169
Durability: 28 of 50
Required Dexterity: 71
Required Strength: 104
Required Level: 44
Sword Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Level: 59
Fingerprint: 0x61d01077
+193% Enhanced Damage
Poison Resist +50%
+249 poison damage over 6 seconds
6% Chance to cast Level 1 Amplify Damage on striking
345% Damage to Undead (Based on Character Level)
460% Bonus to Attack Rating Against Undead (Based on Character Level)
Obviously atm he only has 5% LL - 2.5% in NM - so that will need to be increased.

What do you suggest I should be aiming for?

DM

Fluffballer

Diabloii.Net Member
My mercs usually get all their life leech from a vamp gaze or that MF helm with IAS and LL, whatever that is called.

So I think between your tele and the PDR of Shaftstop, he should be fine with 5%. If he gets swarmed, just tele him out.

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
I would recommend finding a better sword. Even plain magic swords are going to put out higher damage than vile husk. I forget what level you can use the chippie cube recipe to get cruels, but a cruel would be much better, than you can stick shaels in too.

I had a sorc with a barb merc using a doombringer, and even he struggled.

Dark Matter

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, it's sword suggestions that I am after to be honest. The Vile Husk is a temp solution. I have a couple of Bloodmoon Elegant Blades. I thought I'd give him one of those when he gets lvl 61.

For end game what do you suggest?

I have a 3 Phase Blades 3, 4 and 5 os. The 5os is a Superior with 12% ED and + to AP. None of them are Ethereal.

I also have a couple of blue Phase Blades I could cube and try for the Cruel Affix, but I seem to recall that only some swords can get the max damage.

Certainly in 1.09 I had to cube a lot of Colossus Blades to get a good ED with 3 sockets for my WW Barb to shael.

Should I be looking for a Blue Colossus and cube that for my Merc ?

DM

Fluffballer

Diabloii.Net Member
All of the phase blade options are a bad idea because of the low damage on that sword. Even a perect cruel PB would be a worse choice than your current sword. You could make a crescent moon in the 3 socket one, but that would be for the static field which your sorc already has.

Consider CM, Kingslayer, or Oath in a 2Hed elite sword, all of which are extremely nice runewords for a reasonable price. Or for a fairly similar rune cost, you could up your current sword to elite, since it has that nice amp damage and poison damage on it.

Edit: I just perused the runewords page; Voice of Reason is a VERY cheap and VERY useful option. It basically has cruel damage because 90% of monsters are undead or demons. Between the CBF and the gargantuan cold damage coming from all those sources, that's a great sword.

Dark Matter

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks Fluffballer.

I'd better start LK runs - the highest runes I have atm are a Pul and a Mal. I did have an Um, but I put it in a Kracken Shell for Duress for my Necro's Might Merc. Clicky

So, I am looking for a 4 os Colossus ?

Edit: So if I went with the VoR - would the -24% to Cold Res stack with my Cold Mastery? Further if I use a Lower Resist wand (I have a lvl 2 one) on Switch, to break Immunes, would I even need to put any points in another tree?

ATM My sorc has 1 point in warmth, 1 in Fire Bolt and 1 in Fireball. I was going to go Blizzballer, but I can think again :badteeth:

DM

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
of char -res from a mercs wepon dosnt get counted when working out how much -res you have, as far as i know only char -res counts (sept from convition of corse

For later levels I would recommend an azurewrath, or a lawbringer. The aura from lawbringer is very nice for chaos sanctuary, and Baals throne.

Dark Matter

Diabloii.Net Member
Well she's now 65 and Hell Diablo is dead.

I gave my Merc a new weapon @ 61 and that made a world of difference. He died twice to OK's that I didn't see and once to Diablo but the rest of the time I could forget him.

He's now using
Bloodmoon
Elegant Blade
One-Hand Damage: 156 to 214
Durability: 17 of 17
Required Dexterity: 112
Required Strength: 99
Required Level: 61
Sword Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Level: 86
Fingerprint: 0x4bde8bf4
+220% Enhanced Damage
10% Life stolen per hit
+10 Life after each Kill
50% Chance of Open Wounds
Level 15 Blood Golem (9/9 Charges)
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

DM

Llathias

Banned
First, as has been said, the -resist only affects the virtual organism that carries it, so you get no help from your merc there. An interesting fact related to this is that Hydra and assassin traps are considered minions, and you cannot improve their dmg with -enemy resist gear (effects that belong to the monster, ie. Conviction and Lower Resist, are a different story).

Second, LR is not powerful enough to break the ridiculous resistance of cold immunes. It works at only 1/5 effectiveness against immunes, and cold immunes usually have over 150% cold resists. It's not even funny!

Third, your ultimate goal should be giving your merc a 2-handed sword, as then it'll get the 2h dmg listed.

Fourth: Phase Blades cannot spawn ethereal because of the innate indestructable mod. Some people actually imbue eth Dimensional Blades to upgrade in case very good roll.

Dark Matter

Diabloii.Net Member
Was I wrong to assume that once the Cold Immunity had been broken (even @ 1/5th effectiveness) then the cold mastery would lower the Cold resistance some more.

ie 150% cold immune.
Use lvl 2 Lower resist wand (-37%/5) = 143% cold immune
Cold Mastery lvl 11 (-70%) = Monster 73% cold immune

Is that not the case ?

DM

NacRuno

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Was I wrong to assume that once the Cold Immunity had been broken (even @ 1/5th effectiveness) then the cold mastery would lower the Cold resistance some more.

ie 150% cold immune.
Use lvl 2 Lower resist wand (-37%/5) = 143% cold immune
Cold Mastery lvl 11 (-70%) = Monster 73% cold immune

Is that not the case ?

DM
saying that CM kicks in after applying lower resist is not the case for the calculation. CM kicks in after immunity is broken. if the monster is immune after the lower resist curse, there is nothing CM can do :sad2:

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
I think that the best sword to cube with chippies for a Cruel with 1-2 sockets is a Champion Sword.

Dark Matter

Diabloii.Net Member
Ahh Right:

So Cold Immune 150% resistance.

Cast LR - IF it works then immunity broken and still 150% Immune, then CM will lower resist to 80%.

If it fails then I have to wait for the Merc to kill him with his lessened damage againts Hell uniques mobs.

Jiansonz: I assume you are suggesting a Champion sword as it is faster? Can Champions get the Cruel prefix?

I was going to try and roll a Colossus with a cruel prefix, then ask Lazurk to Socket it and hope for 6os so I could add LL, IAS and maybe more ED/elemental damage.

DM

AJK

Diabloii.Net Member
For later levels I would recommend an azurewrath, or a lawbringer. The aura from lawbringer is very nice for chaos sanctuary, and Baals throne.
I tried the barb+azurewrath combo when I sent my lightsorc for a few Pindle runs. The sanctuary aura nicely pushed those dangerous charger zombies away from me.

Oh, and DM, Larzuk can't punch 6 holes in magical items. The best you can get is 2os...
Edit: And I also think you already get a few holes with the cube recipe.

AJK

Diabloii.Net Member
Damn:

Does the Chippe recipe still work? 3 chips + blue sword = re-rolled stats + 3os ?
It still works, but I'm not certain if you can get a Cruel sword this way. It depends on the ilvl of the base sword. It's a bit complicated, but I'm certain that a real expert will pop in this thread and clarify.

Right, experts?

SiTro

Diabloii.Net Member
You should be able to. Using 3 chipped gems and a magical weapon in the cube results in a new magic weapon with 1-2 sockets. ilvl is set to 25 when using this recipe.

As suggested about halfway through this post however, you can use high level items to get affixes with high affix levels, such as Cruel. This is due to the line in the algorithm for generating affixes that reads

Code:
if (qlvl>ilvl) then {ilvl=qlvl}
So by using a weapon with a qlvl higher than the required level to spawn with Cruel you give yourself a chance of such a shiny toy. As far as I know that line is only used during the algorithm, and once it's worked out the affixes the item spawns with the ilvl returns to 25.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, any weapon that is at least qlvl 75 and has Cruel in the item pool (i.e. it´s not a wand, staff or orb) can get it when you reroll with chippies (or regular or flawless gems). The old 1.09 recipe was better for swords (because it gave 3 sockets) but now you can do it with many more weapon types. Even throwing weapons, but then you won´t get any sockets, of course. Another advantage is that the 'starting material' does not need to be magical. As long as it has socket(s), you can get the rerolling going (with regular gems, in that case).

I recommended Champion Sword because it´s fast and has less demanding requirements. It´s also easier to find/shop/gamble, and is usually available earlier in the game if you play untwinked.