Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Barbarian from scratch...

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Diehard, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Diehard

Diehard IncGamers Member

Barbarian from scratch...

With rumors of a new ladder season becoming stronger, I've been thinking about builds that will be robust enough to face the challenges presented by a fresh slate. I play hardcore on USWest, so survivability is definitely a key factor.

For the first 1.10 ladder season I built a frenzy/warcry barbarian, and I was not disappointed with the result. He was a weapon generalist (ended up with 1 point in axe/sword/mace), which helped greatly to address the scarcity of good items. I pretty much retired him at around level 82, as by that time I had built up enough of an item pool to start creating more optimized characters.

Though the temptation to go with frenzy again is pretty strong, I'm thinking that a weapon/shield berserker might be an even better option. Shout provides a damage boost to berserk (as well a increased dur for BO/BC), which would allow minimal investment in masteries (at least until end-game weapons are obtained). Warcry would be employed constantly to enhance survivability.

Thoughts/comments?

2. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

Well, personally I'd make a meteorb sorc. Easiest to do mf runs with. But if you want to try a barb, a zerker with weapon+shield and big twohander on switch would work excellent I'd say. Magical dmg rocks, and the twohander can dish out some serious damage.

HoD

3. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

barbs from scratch are not recommended because they are very item dependent. If you make one for the beginning of ladder, it most likely wont survive in hell difficulty or later on when the ladder progresses.

But if you make it just for fun and not as a point to get rich on bnet, go for it! :thumbsup:

4. Diehard

Diehard IncGamers Member

Yes, conventional wisdom is that a sorceress is the best way to go. Amazon or wind druid might also be decent choices. However, I only play barbarians, so I'm trying to make the best of a bad situation... ;)

5. asdfq

asdfq IncGamers Member

I'm thinking of making an untwinked barb as well (well, mostly untwinked). Do you think a concentrate barb could survive, and be able to kill stuff, in Hell?

6. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hmm i dun play HC so this may not be a good idea but the best/easiest barb to start from scratch is the IK Barb (WW or others) IMO. With the influx of runewords and all the full set is rather cheap but like i said in HC it may not be a good idea w/o a shield :D For the time u are waiting to equip the maul/armor you could 'grow' with Shael Steeldriver Great Maul/Martel :D I agree with the guys - barbs as 1st char is very item dependent and would get stalled progressing in Hell :( I play barbs and necros mostly and my necro eventually got a decent sword for barb to kill in hell hehe. I play necros best so if your fav/best char class could somehow be converted to an item runner/mf then go for it :D I love barbs in PvM as the can mass hork and with some decent %mf one could end up finding start up gear for future projects :p I use barb and necro to mf and depending on area lvl/horkable monsters i switch so i have 2 mf chars hehe. Eg: Barb does pindle,eldritch,pits while necro does memp,diablo, baal and it has gotten me fairly good results so far :p The problem i see it is melee classes not able to 'fake' it like in previous patches when a shael/shael/eth CCB means u hit everytime and Doombringer/GF were godly :p

7. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

Hmm. I don't think an untwinked barba is that weak, remember you play in a group too (maybe? either I do ok solo, slow, but I manage). BO will be priceless in the start, before people get that corny Call To Arms, plus your tanking abilities will be highly valued by sorcs and other casters.

Combined with my might mercenary, I don't find hell to be that hard. But then again, I was lucky in finding G.Face and Crainte Vomir. :)

*Crafting leech stuff rocks. :clap:

8. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Whenever doing a fresh start (either after a ladder reset or coming back after a long break and having all ur chars expire :lol: ) I always built a summoning necro and was never disappointed with the results. I would NEVER build an item dependent char (any sort of melee or bowazon) doing a fresh start, Id be doomed to endless NM meph runs finding crap :mad: , while my summoner would be happily soloing hell baal :clap:

9. newerest

newerest IncGamers Member

I agree with ICE, you probally have played all of the other characters a lot to only play barb but, IF ladder resets then i'd make a summoner since they can be pretty fun.