Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Barbarian AoE,Multiple Hits

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by ManBearPig, Dec 1, 2008.

1. ManBearPig

ManBearPig IncGamers Member

Barbarian AoE,Multiple Hits

I am all for skills that give the barbarian the opportunity to attack more than one enemy at a time.To me, this is what made the barbarian kinda boring in the past. Barbarians were forced to constantly WW because it was the only way to hit multiple enemies at once. So yay for barbarian skills with AoE and Multiple hits :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. phool

phool IncGamers Member

Re: Barbarian AoE,Multiple Hits

ww wasn't actually aoe, just had a large number of single target attacks. Initially I got the impression most standard melee attacks would have an arc capable of hitting 2-3 close small enemies, which seems appropriate and adds arc width as an interesting melee weapon property, generally more so than D2's range.

Barbs using a 2 handed weapon will probably get a decent few genuinely aoe skills. I never was that interested in perusing the preliminary skill trees very closely, but it seems a logical counterpoint to decreased attack speed and reduce defense.

3. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

I think what you saw was the Cleave skill.

Although I imagine that the multi-strike rune would add some cleavage to most single-target barb skills.

4. teh_Thrasher

teh_Thrasher IncGamers Member

haha u said cleavage.

meh i really liked my concentrate barbarian in d2 he owned everything and he was hardly ever hit AND he used IK maul which is surprisingly good in just PVM. (dual shaels for max IAS) of course i did use WW on occasion when their were crazy large mobs of low hp monsters.

but uh yeah i agree that mutli target single swing hits will be great :) PLUS ww looks super nerfed. mad low dmg for the skill unless u pump the **** out of its passives.

5. ManBearPig

ManBearPig IncGamers Member

And that stresses my point even more. The barbarian had literally NO skills that let him hit more than 1 enemy at a time besides war cry. So far it seems like blizzard has addressed this issue with Seismic Slam,Revenge,Furious Charge,Cleave,Slashing Strike,new leap attack, and probably some others I'm not mentioning. Almost anyone would pick a Sorc over a barb in d2 for PvM and if this is going to be a mostly PvM game (god I hope not) like they're saying, then I sure hope he can keep up with the wizard and the other characters. In my opinion, this is a great step forward for the barbarian so far.

6. Echod16

Echod16 IncGamers Member

Stop whining, Leap knocked back multiple monsters n00b.

hehe, just kidding... but give a shout if you think Leap was the worst skill ever (I know it's meant as a connector to leaap attack..)

7. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

I wonder if using a Multiple Strike rune with an AoE ability will result in multiple AoE damage to every unit in the area (like the Amazon's Freezing Arrow + Pierce combo).

8. Teleportftw

Teleportftw IncGamers Member

every barbarian skill in the gameplay video besides the basic attack as far as I could tell did area damage, including leap attack, cleave, whirlwind. its possible the giant hammer thing didn't, but I bet it does.

9. Athanasios

Athanasios IncGamers Member

what he said...

the barbarians lack of an effective AoE attack was always problem in my opinion. it looks(from the gameplay videos at least) that blizz has seen the issue and fixed it. : )

even whirlwind looks more intense, not to mention that "giant hammer thing"!

10. Akse

Akse Banned

Barbs were totally dominating PvM in pre-LOD. WW was just perfect :) I hope it will be nice in D3 too!

11. Echod16

Echod16 IncGamers Member

So far, I'm not really digging the 3d animation of WW in D3. It just seems 10x slower than it's D2 counterpart (yes, even though the D2 was just 4 sprites interchanging fast)

That's really my only critique though, just make it faster

12. Maxadrenaline

Maxadrenaline IncGamers Member

I am really digging the new 3d animation, even though I agree it looks slower. Probably runes can help out on the speed of the skill?

Lack of AoE skills for the Barb were really irritating in D2, very glad to see that's (probably) fixed.

Concerning the multiple hits, Multistrike runes should cover this. I'm thinking for example Ground Stomp could trigger 2 or 3 times in quick succession.

13. Silverkill

Silverkill IncGamers Member

I wonder if there will be any advantages of WW to Seismic Slam...
    Seismic Slam is the same line AoE, but u don't need to be inside the crowd of monsters...
    Any ideas?

14. Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf IncGamers Member

Seismic Slam has you stationary and lunching Linear AoE attacks, WW on the other hand gives you the ability to move around while damaging everyone surrounding you ( Circular AoE ).

One use for WW is cutting your way through a horde of enemies to reach a Health globe or something ... while SS could be used to hurt a mini-boss or unique who is hiding behind tons of powerful minions for example.

15. Silverkill

That's the reason, mate... if you need to reach a globe you use leap. If you use SS you can be striked only by very fast or ranged monsters. I'm a big fan of WW, but as i saw in a gameplay trailer it's much more safer to use SS from a pretty big distance, and not go inside horde of enemies with ww. Besides as i understand there won't be such a thing as Lifeleech.

16. Kalara

Kalara IncGamers Member

It will also all depend on the damage output these skills end up with in the final game build. It may be that SS is much safer because you aren't neck deep in demons but WW may just be much more damaging to make up for the danger.

17. Silverkill

Aggreed with this point... As i think SS damage will depend on your str... and ww will depend on your str + weap dmg.
    Something like that.

18. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

Seismic Slam will probably require a lot of Fury. And with you staying back from the monsters to snipe at them, you'll probably lose it fast.
    WW on the other hand should keep your Fury bulb full all the time.
    We can already see how the two builds will differ a lot. :)

19. Echod16

Echod16 IncGamers Member

That's exactly how it worked in the demo

20. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Whirlwind will probably actually do less damage in one second than shockwave. It has the following natural advantages:

1. It feeds into the Barbarian's Fury system.
    2. It deals it's damage over a longer period of time, meaning it can catch more monsters over it's duration.
    3. Mobility.