Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Barb Wep Advice

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Hoopiness, May 8, 2005.

1. Hoopiness

Hoopiness Diabloii.Net Member

Barb Wep Advice

Hi there,

Ok, before I start, I've not played a barb since about the days of 1.08, so if anything I ask seems straight-forward, there's my reason ;)

I'm gonna make a WW barb, but am looking for advice on whether to use axes or swords, dual wield or use a shield, which runewords make for the best weps, etc.

Also, there seem to be quite a few WW guides, about...any opinions on what's the most definitive for a PVM barb? Since I've not made a barb for aaaages, I'm after a guide on whatever is hands down the best suited to PVM.

Any help appreciated
    Cheers
    Blitzy

2. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom Diabloii.Net Member

PvM barbs:

- Titan/semi-titan barb with big twohander
    - regular vitabarb with dual wield axes

Both work. Don't bother with shields for PvM if you can afford stuff like BotD. If you can't afford CoH/BotD or similar ladder runewords, an axe/shield ww barb might be the best. Axes are the best 1hander, polearms the best 2handers. But since it's pvm, you can use swords, hammers, daggers, whatever you want ;)

HoD

3. Hoopiness

Yeah, I can afford most, if not all runewords mate.

Those 2 barb definitions you gave above mean nothing to me, however :) Thx anyway.

4. batuchka

batuchka Diabloii.Net Member

Titan barb : Huge investment in str to acheive higher damage

Vitabarb : Huge investment in vitality to acheive higher life

Also is your PvM barb for fun or item running? I find Oath runeword in ethereal Highland/Balrog good PvM swords for the runes they need and these have range 3 as well :p I use sword/shield (SS) Non swords 1-handers with range 3 are berserker axes and scourges and ya polearms make cool 2-handers :D Love eth Tomb Reaver and EBOTD Great Poleaxe! Welcome back and cheers :D

5. Herald of Doom

What batuchka said :p

Titan ww barbs are extremely fun. Just use Arreats+CoH archon+BotD GPA+ IK gloves/belt/boots and you're set. You can use the regular dracs+gores+dungoes setup, but for PvM the IK bits have so much nice mods while still being dirtcheap. Without IK parts your resists might be a bit low (normal boots+belt+glove for barb doesnt give resist), but there are pro's and con's to both setups. Titan ww barbs usually try to get 2000+ life (with bo and charms. If you have really really good charm you could even go with base vita for extra kicks ;) ). The only problem is that they absolutely suck in PvP, while a dualwielder is an excellent pvp'er with a few equipment adjustments.

HoD

6. Hoopiness

Ah ok, cheers for clearing that up.

It's mainly just for a bit of pvm fun, but I never say no to a bit of MFing where possible :)

To be as blunt as poss, I'm looking for a guide to the most popular/common barb build out there. I'll look into other builds after that, but for the meantime, I'm just looking to get back into mainstream barbs...I've neglected the poor souls.

Much like if I wanted to get into Paladins I might start with a Hammerdin, just cos...well...it's a hammerdin :lol:

7. Herald of Doom

Well, ifyou really want to use barbs to find items, its best to have as few mf as possible and just clear lvl 85 areas. Barbs aren't that good for mf, except for quickly killing lots of small critters in areas with lots of bends and corners where hammerdins and sorcies might have trouble hitting the critters (like the pit and other lvl85 areas). A titanww barb is extremely effective at clearing those levels, because a good one can achieve 5000-12000 dmg ww dmg if i recall correctly :thumbsup: The most used barb build now is an axe using dualwielder with botd+beast for NL and grief+beast for ladder. They use enigma to go as low str as possible, and keep dex at base/near base so they can get 6000+ life. Those guys are also one of the best duelling classes available, so if you ever want to duel they're the nr1 choice.

HoD

8. Halciet

Halciet Diabloii.Net Member

That would be the whirlwind barb. Check the guide sticky for articles pertaining to their creation.

-Hal

9. Decebal

Decebal Diabloii.Net Member

I agree with batuchka concerning EBOTD Great Poleaxe! :D
    Lots of damage and u look very unique!!! :p

/Dec