Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Barb vs Pally

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by YoungDbl, Oct 28, 2006.

1. YoungDbl

YoungDbl IncGamers Member

Barb vs Pally

Hey guys, few quick questions.

PVP: In pvp with a rather limited gear spread I am not sure which build is best. I am debating between a conc barb , titan barb , and a fanat zealot.
    I have zero experience so im completly relying on your tips. It would be
    melee only pvp. No caster duels. Also though the character would have to play through the game... that brings me to..

PVM: Out of those three builds im not sure what would be best to play to patriarch and continue to level to around 90-95. It seems as if the pally would be the best way to go here but I have never played a barb and it kind of interests me. Also though concerning pvm would be...

MF: Could any of these builds run a mf target? If so what would be the best and where?

From my experience the pally would be the best bet for all three. Though I have never played a barb and it still interests me. Also do WW barbs still stick around? All these builds would be vanilla softcore untwinked.

Thanks for any advice , :flowers:
    DBL-

EDIT: I wanted to put a poll in but I do not know how and cant figure it out. The poll was going to be conc barb , titan barb , ww barb , fanat zealer , other. So keep that in mind I guess lol.

2. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

Melee only pvp? There are different definitions of that.

For a lot it means, No Smite, No Whirlwind, No Rabies, and No Charged Strike. Is this the ruleset you are playing by?

What do you mean by Titan Barb? Obviously max str, but what build? WW barbs do exceptionally well in PvP and could get you through the game fairly easy. However, if those aren't allowed under your rules (and they usually aren't) I'd probably choose a Zealot out of those you listed (or the WW Titan). You can get awesome defense, good AR, and you have a quick uninterruptable attack, plus they are pretty easy to get through PvM with.

3. YoungDbl

I was kind of writing it in a hurry. By melee standards of mine would not permit use of rabies , smite , charged strike. Ww is a kind of in the middle. Sometimes depending on who im playing with it is accepted. The normal WW barb would be 1h axe / shield. The titan barb would use a maul and ww. I kind of dont like 2h weapons though. I would like to use the zealot or the 1h ww or conc barb. I am not really sure which is better for which aspects though. So really the choices would be
    -Zealot
    -1h ww
    -1h conc
    -other??

After thinking about the titan barb for a while I decided I dont really like the idea of it no matter how effective. WW seams good but what do you do untill you get that skill and im not really sure on the items you would aim for or skills stats. Its all stuff I could look up but I just mainly need to know what would be the best under these conditions.

4. nex

nex IncGamers Member

Conc barb = useless (waaaay to slow). Titan barb = dead (get high dmg weapon instead, pumping str means you lose your bigest advantage - life). Fanatic zealot = limited usability.

With zealot you will be able to fight werewolfs, woflbarbs, CS zons (only 2-3 of them around), but don't expect to kill WW barbs. You can make him zealot/charger hybrid (or even use just 1 point charge) to kill sorces and necromancers, chargers are good caster killers.

Problem with that: 95% of melee PvP chars are WW barbs & smiters... and they eat zealots for breakfast... while still asleep. I'm not trying to discourage you, my first PvP char was zealot/charger and he's fun char to play in FFAs (charge ftw!), and there are werewolfs and wolfbarbs to fight but don't except to pwn everyone with zealot.

WW barb - meh. Yes, they can pwn, but they need much better gear and more skill (IMO), basicly if you want budget char to kill casters charger is probably better choice (easier to build and use). You cannot kill barbs with melee paladin but you also won't kill them with crappy equiped WW barb so you lose nothing. OMG, I don't want to sound like Ce Olba but good WW barb is killing machine... and badly equiped WW barb/low skilled WW barb is just comic relief (trust me, I'm talking from experience).

Pure fury werewolf also isn't bad choice. Zeal > fury but you can make up for that with minions, in comparision to zealot/charger you lose ability to charge+vigor catch casters but you get more life.

That's one really distorted standard. You can beat rabies wolf and CS zon with zealot or fury werewolf, actually this kind of duels are really fun. Don't be afraid of elemental attacks, get some res gear you slacker :smiley: WW is in completely different league, fighting WW barb with zealot is pointless. And if you exclude rabies and CS then you really don't have enough melee opponents in SPF... but you have more than enough WW barbs to pwn you.

Just don't build conc barb. You will just waste time with him.

5. sablast

sablast IncGamers Member

You're wrong about that. Pure zealots (without using smite) can't beat average fury wolf.

6. YoungDbl

Lol so after reading that post I only cuaght one thing really
    So excluding that, the low equiped ww barb and the zealer that wont kill much leaves other.. Cs zon? Fury druid?

7. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

build what you would like then get good at it, in the end it is up to you though duel wise Nex makes alot fo good points

8. nex

nex IncGamers Member

Every pure zealot should have 1 point smite and that's enough to knock back minions or wolf (to separate them)... and any average zealot should realize (after he dies few times :smiley: ) that only zealing isn't the best idea if you don't even hit wolf because of minions.

Without minions and without smite I think zeal>fury, I might be wrong on this but I never dueled wolf who didn't summon pets.

Crap, now we scared you. Well, CS zon also wont kill much if opponent has +max res/absorb, fury druid like every melee char needs good equipment and even enigma hammerdin wont kill anyone if you don't know what are you doing :smiley: My point? Don't worry too much, just build something and start dueling, that's the best way to learn things.

9. sablast

sablast IncGamers Member

maybe you're right. Lets try it, I wont use minions. Are you up for a little testing :)?
    edit:

Thay are hard, that is not questionable. Maybe I exaggerated with "average", but I think that at the end well built fury has advantage

10. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

I'm a total druid enthusiast as well, but I completely disagree. Good Fury Druids can hold their own against most but Zealots are tough chars for them. Zeal, unlike Fury is uninterruptable, and werewolves low defense means they hit every zeal strike. Couple that with their high defense and innate ability to capitalize on 1-hand weapons and shield (unlike werewolves who I believe were created with the idea of using 2-hand weapons in mind), better block rate and better (perhaps comparable?) damage, my money is always on the Zealots over pure Fury wolves. The only things a wolf has over a zealot is 1 frame of hit recovery and a larger life pool.

11. nex

nex IncGamers Member

Tomorrow (actually today... saturday evening). Now I really have to go to sleep, I have to get up at 6 AM... and it's already 2:30 :shocked:

And of course minions. That's why I like zeal-fury duels, while both skills are really similar both players have to think what are they doing (zealot still has to think less) to use their advantages. In comparision zeal vs zeal duels are ultra boring.

12. sablast

sablast IncGamers Member

Great. You should really go to sleep, I wouldn't like to be in your skin tommorow morning :smiley: