Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Barb vs. Hammerdin

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Prez, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Prez

Prez IncGamers Member

Barb vs. Hammerdin

Looking for strategy here on how a Barb might go about terminating a high lvl Hammerdin.

Best I can come up with is:

1. Leap in close, past the hammer spam (assuming of course that leap will bypass the hammers).
    2. Zerk/WW his butt.
    3. Pray that you have enough life to survive.
    4. Max life build.
    5. 2 hand big weapon, can't block hammers so might as well max out dmg.

I'm not a Hammerdin player, so a few questions to those that do play them. Do hammers go with the Pally when/if he teleports? My understanding is that they are all magic dmg, can't be blocked and are autohit. Appears on the surface that going one-on-one might be...suicide?

Any bright ideas from the cheap seats?

Prez

2. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Ahigh lvl Hammerdin wiht the "common duped" gear, the ones that tend to be willing to duel will do around 10k+ per hammer, at least the 75 BP maybe high, have max block a ton of Hit recovery and be able to teleport.

Hammers are counted as minions arent they? So isnt it "half pvp penalty"?

I see this more as a roll of the dice than most duals

3. senji

senji Banned

if hammers counted as minion's and do half damage no character stands to it then

they fix that long ago i think

10k hammerdins aren't that dangerous the dangerous ones are with 12k or over
    each hammer will do 2k damage according to the 1/6 penalty on pvp
    you might kill them if they have no battle order but if they use the standard engima hoto and cta good luck

you might want to try a engima wind druid or necro

strategy is to stick in walls or corners to prevent most of the hammers getting to you

4. det

det IncGamers Member

Tell you the truth, I find it quite hard to hit single target with a hammerdin.

Would 20 points in leap help? Knockback in a 16.6 yard radius? Bunny hop up to him, he will be in constant stun recovery, then do a Leap attack. If you "alt" click next to him after you landed, you should perform an attack that counts as a second LA..even when you dont see the animation.

(at least it works on monsters)

5. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

If you know hammers you can place them easily!

Ever seen a Hammerdin do Maggot Lair in Hell? Doesnt bother me and it is VERY doable.

If he hits the 120 BP I cant see you having a chance at anyhting but a kamakaze kill if you are lucky!

If you knock him back with leap you stand the chance to fumble and be in perfect hammer path.......

6. senji

senji Banned

using any other attacks like leap or warcry is just pointless for a barb gainst a hammerdin you need to get close and land a ko hit asap

7. jhcarle

jhcarle IncGamers Member

Hitting a target with a hammer is unbelievably easy, especially if the hammerdin has enigma. You can also assume that most good hammerdins have at least 12k damage. I have yet to have any problems fighting any pker that hostiled me. I haven't killed that many of them because most of the pkers that have hostiled me chickened out of the games with their hacks before death. With 75% block, max resistances and over 4k life with a good BO (that can be assumed also), hammerdins will be almost impossible for a barb to pvp. It's not like the hammerdin is gonna sit there so you can zerk him to death. Most are a little smarter than that :)

8. Pezeteros

Pezeteros IncGamers Member

Try to avoid at start to get him to chase you then teleport on his SW (amulet if no enigma) and Zerk with a badass weapon and hope for 1 hit-KO

WW is really bad to me since it will put you in the way of many hammers and you can't juv while WWing

Dont take my advice too serious tho, i dont PvP in high level just confronted one hammerdin once with my PvM barb and unfortunatelly his oak saved him.

9. kardinaal

kardinaal IncGamers Member

The next question would be, if you knock back a hammerdin, do the hammers get knocked back too? If you can jump in place and knock him out of his circle of hammers, you might just have a chance. When he's being knocked back, he can't cast any new ones...

Do hammers hit at all when a barb is in the air? I thought not?

And a little question for my own, could you knock back a charger with leap (while he's in the middle of a charge)? And a barb in mid-air? I'm building a bunny thrower, and I'd like to know if I need to run or laugh when a charger hostiles :D Or when I hostile a charger ;)

10. HelzCaretaker

HelzCaretaker IncGamers Member

why bother with a barb? simply make a trapper and fight in hell lets see them tele and cast hammers with 5x light sentrys and mindblast ;). Trappers are best builds vs bs and hammerdins also work well vs basically anything not designed to kill mages.

11. Christor

Christor IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure he asked this question because he already has a high level IK barb completed and wanted to see how it would fair in PvP against a hammerdin.

With the prevalence of duped runeword items among hammerdins, I'd say the chance of killing one with a barb is a matter of pure luck, especially against a player that's even halfway decent with aiming the hammers and/or teleporting. If you managed to get some teleport yourself, though, it might catch him by surprise, but probably not long enough for you to kill him before he escapes and starts throwing hammers.

12. senji

senji Banned

trapsin are not good vs hammerdins
    mainly because they use engima and can get max resist easily if they wanted they could add 2 wisp rings then your damage is almost nullify
    as for mind blast paladins always have a natural fast hit recovery
    doubt you can get them in a lock

13. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

Get Crit gear. Ultra important.

You want to make sure almost every hit you land is indeed going to crit strike. I'd personally suggest Zerk because it's irresistable and it's got the BAM to put down even a CTA pala in quick order, assuming you have a good wepon. Ideally it'd be some godless abomination like a 500%ed eth thundermaul with self repair 2 sockets and other such evil things....But for the time being you're probably best off with a nice rare or some such.

Highlords + Gore Riders and your natural mastery should probably be enough for hitting him with a critical. If not, there's otherways.

My ideal set up would probably go something like :

Ias/max armour
    Arreats Face (ias/ed)
    LanceGuard (20% critical strike)
    Highlords
    The ring with Oak Sage, because I'm a *****.
    Raven
    Gore Riders
    Bloodfists

As for a wepon I'd probably go with a CCB ish wep. 2handers swing slower than all hell even with the fastest possible swing speed.

The basic idea is to let him make a mistake then capitalize. Have him chase after you. Let's say he gets too impatient and decides to teleport too close to you, You initially have a half second to see him before he see's you...Thus the Zerking.

14. senji

senji Banned

if you want to kill use a etheral deathcleaver + highlords
    and switch boots to wartravler for more damage