Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Barb merc double attack?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by zinger, Feb 27, 2004.

1. zinger

zinger IncGamers Member

Barb merc double attack?

Just for a change, I decided to get a barb merc for my HC trapper. I had never used these guys, and I figured hey, why not?

I have observed that he seems to have some kind of double swing attack - he swings his sword, then does a shorter backswing-like move in the opposite direction. It clearly deals damage twice, based on watching the monster health bar, and on the life steal swoosh. But ... I know of no corresponding skill in the game. Is it just jab, like the desert mercs, but working with a sword? Or is it something else entirely?

Just curious.

2. Ruvanal

Ruvanal IncGamers Member

It is actually his normal attack and it can hit twice when he executes it. It is not any 'special' skill, it is just the way his normal attack is set up in the files.

When using Bash or Stun, he can only hit once per attack.

3. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

I think it's two fast attacks, with 2 different animations.

4. Ruvanal

Ruvanal IncGamers Member

No, it is one single animation that has two points in that allow the normal attack to hit and do damage. The special attacks (Bash and Stun) will only use the first of the two attack points in the animation to do their attacks and damage (the skills only allow one attack per execution of the skill). This is from looking through the animation file information (animdata.d2) and doing some simple testing in a modded game (extreamly slowed down merc animation and a 100% 'on-attack' effect to show where the strikes actually occur).

5. zinger

zinger IncGamers Member

OK thanks Ruvanal. I was mainly wondering if there was an associated damage or to-hit adjustment which might come with a skill, such as the penalty associated with jab. Since it is two normal attacks, I presume there aren't any, and the damage on both hits is as displayed on his info screen.