Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

barb help

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Roverite, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Roverite

Roverite IncGamers Member

barb help

im starting my new ww barb and want to no abit about wot stat point.
    im gonna be using a botd ogre maul and enigma so i was think stats
    str:150
    dex:150
    Vit:rest
    En:none

would that be ok cos i wanna be able to hit the monster with some 'ok' ar.
    thanks a bunch
    Kyle

2. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Dex is a terrible source of ar, with a return of 4 per point, which is awful when you consider that one fine/vita charm gives 5x that amount (along with a life equivalency of 5 vit and some extra damage, to boot). You can get more than enough from charms/angelic set/other gear, and enchant charges from Demon Limb, if need be. BotD has -25% target defense as it is, so I wouldn't get any myself, though you can if you really feel you need it.

3. TheCarGuy

TheCarGuy Banned

since you have enigma why not cut back abit on the strength so you can get more vit?

4. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

225 str req for ogre maul ;)

5. Roverite

im thinking im going with
    str 225
    dex 50
    vit rest

that should give me plenty of life and i want to have minium for botd cos if i need to swap gear.

6. Roverite

with only 50 in dex im not sure im gonna hit things :? i at least wont 90%chance to hit in hell so wot 'other' items you use to boost ar ?? i carnt use angelic set stuff so....... wot is ur guys ar and % chance to hit. I got my botd maul and soul drainers btw.
    thanx kyle

7. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Why can't you use the angelic set? 50 dex is only going to add around 400 base ar to your build, which isn't really worth it imho. Like I said though, grand charms can add something like 160 ar each, small shave 20, daemon limb can increase it by a good 4k or so, depending on your gear and base ar, and then items like angelic, metalgrid, ravenfrost, and arreat's face all add a ton (angelic adds 13,000 ar to my barb). Plus, your weapon already has -25% target defense, which is pretty nice.

Also remember that chance to hit is also based on monster lvl v character level, so as you get bigger, the chance increases. Some things, like baal and such, you'll probably never have a 90% chance to hit anyways though, so don't fret it too much.

If you're that scared of dex, go ahead and pump it up some; there are just more efficient ways of getting ar. I believe the last time I built a BotD tmaul barb, he had no dex and was hitting around 7-8k ar, and this was with no charms, no angelic set items, and before I knew about Demon Limb.

If I get a chance tonight, I'll run one through the loader to seethe actual % chances and such with base dex, though I have a lot of work tonight, so I might not be able to. I'll try though!

-Hal

8. sahlakh

sahlakh IncGamers Member

Hal is correct.

I don't see any point of building a WW barb with BotD ogre maul though Ö_ö

9. Roverite

its personal preference.

cheers hal. i think with that cry that -defence and botd and soul drainers ill be ok but how did u get that much ar with none of the stuff u sed is wot i wanna no :?

10. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Ah, sorry, I was looking at the wrong barb when I gave you that gear set-up, he actually did have a few small ar charms and a couple of grands as well (like 3 grands and 6 smalls or so), but otherwise he just had annihilus, arreat's face, two ravenfrosts, highlord's, Enigma, steelrends, a BotD tmaul, verdungo's, and gore's, giving him 7,000 ar. Switching out to the angelic rings and ammy, daemon limb for enchant, and 39 3/xx/xx charms, the ar goes to 24,366 after casting enchant and my warcries. That's 24,366 ar with base dex. See what I was getting at? Admittedly, the charms might take awhile to get together, and the character is one I rolled up in the loader, so he's level 99, but since you'll probably get to at least 80 or so, you should at least be able to get up around 15-20k.

I wanted to mention that while Battle Cry is really great for the -defense, it's not so hot with whirlwind, since the radius is small and you have to stop to cast it; since you don't have a shield, that can get you clubbed down pretty easy =/

-Hal

edit: here's a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about. The stats placed are 20 ww, 20 mastery, 20 bo, 20 shout, 20 ironskin, 1 nat resist, 1 berserk, 1 battle command, and one point left over, with 110 base str and 470 base vitality, no dex or vit. You could go more str and less vit if you wanted, though I myself would probably try to get less str and more vit, lol.

www.unc.edu/~jpurvis/tmaul.JPG

11. Roverite

lol my skill points is gonna be like urs but no battle command just 1 point in find potion and find item. ive rearraged my gear abit ill be useing arreats,shaft (cos i aint got enigma yet),botd maul,soul drainers,gores,highlords,high ar raven,this duel leech ring with ar and im gonna try and scavenge some small ar charms :D i suppose ur 6k life aint that bad ;) i might go get that demon limb thing and go and get some small ar charms.
    thanx hal
    kyle

12. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

DEFINATELY get a point of battle command...it should be required of all barbs, lol. For that one point, you're basically increasing all your other skills by one point. With max shout and bo, it will last well over three and a half minutes, and brings up everything you got...stronger shout, stronger whirl, better damage and defense, better everything. If anything, get one less point of one of your other skills, like ironskin, because you're not really giving up a point of it, since you'll still get it after you cast BComm, and boost all your other skills as well.

Besides, it'll get you another ar boost by bringing up mastery and whirl. ;)

-Hal